Paul Byrd took HGH

RyanB06

jesus, the timing of these stories is despicable.

You know they are sitting on these stories until the most opportune time to screw with the players. Look at the Ankiel story. Right after a 7 RBI night and the cardinals were rolling. Story comes out, season is basically over in the matter of a week. Ankiel only hits one more HR the rest of the year.

With Byrd, right before game 7 of the ALCS, this report comes out the day of?! Are you kidding me? Why didn't this come out 3 days ago? Or on Monday? Or after the world series? just seems fishy.

Well... guess its Red Sox - Rockies in the World Series.

This sounds completely above-board.

No, really, I mean it. Several doctors, team knowledge, multiple tests, very reasonable (and serious) medical explanation.

Of course, all it says on the bottom line on ESPNews is "Report: Byrd admits using HGH." Context is completely unimportant, eh?

If the Red Sox win tonight what Red Sox player is going to be linked to HGH in tomorrows paper?

None...why? Because of the main stream medias love affair with the Red Sox and Yankees. Will someone be connected? Very possible...But THAT info won't come out until WAYYYYY after the season is over...if it were to ever come out. I'll say it again (and echo the comment above), the timing of this leak is very very fishy...

It's very unfortunate....The Red Sox are basically becoming that of which they've detested for years...Another version of the Yankees....

If the Red Sox win tonight what Red Sox player is going to be linked to HGH in tomorrows paper?

None...why? Because of the main stream medias love affair with the Red Sox and Yankees. Will someone be connected? Very possible...But THAT info won't come out until WAYYYYY after the season is over...if it were to ever come out. I'll say it again (and echo the comment above), the timing of this leak is very very fishy...

It's very unfortunate....The Red Sox are basically becoming that of which they've detested for years...Another version of the Yankees....

I think the Media would absolutely love the Red Sox and/or Yankees to have players on their teams that are linked to steriods. There was a media frenzy when Giambi got busted, so why is this any different? Do I think any Sox are one steroids? The answer is, regretably, yes. I think that Eric Hinske and Kevin Youkilis might have steroids in their past. Am I happy to admit that? No way, but it's just a hunch at this point.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I think the Media would absolutely love the Red Sox and/or Yankees to have players on their teams that are linked to steriods. There was a media frenzy when Giambi got busted, so why is this any different? Do I think any Sox are one steroids? The answer is, regretably, yes. I think that Eric Hinske and Kevin Youkilis might have steroids in their past. Am I happy to admit that? No way, but it's just a hunch at this point.

My money was on Gabe Kapler doing steroids. And others. Do I care? Hell no... just as I don't care that Bonds did or anyone else has. What I hate about this whole situation is the timing.

IUe6Hvh.png

I seem to recall a story that got buried mighty fast wherein "Big Papi" admitted he may have unknowingly taken steroids. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If it was prescribed to him for a medical condition, and he took it before it was banned, then it's not an issue.

It shouldn't be an issue at all if he had a legal prescription for it.

He's publicly admitted to using it, he hasn't hidden anything.

Not a big deal.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Of course it's a big deal, y'all. A baseball player took HGH! Heez a cheeter, he shud bee baninated frum evar playin agin! And he shud haff 2 pay back all hiz muney 2.

In all seriousness, if it's not banned by the league at the time, it's can't big a deal, in the context of PEDs. Sure HGH was still illegal at the time, but illegal drug use has very, VERY rarely garnered a suspension (yes, I know Mr. Byrd says he was prescribed the HGH, but IIRC, ANY and ALL off-label use of HGH is illegal, prescription or no prescription).

I think it's preposterous to think that the Boston organization had prior knowledge of this. If they did, why wait until Game 7? Why wouldn't they have dropped the bomb on Paul Byrd on the eve of his freaking start and let him be distracted when he was actually going to pitch? Call me crazy, but I think that would have been more damaging. MLB didn't release this either. They don't want anything removing the spotlight from their playoff games right now.

On the Papi issue, if he was in La Republica Dominica, where such drugs are neither illegal or regulated, would his 'possible' pre-2005 use of steroids really be a problem? I'm just asking...I'm not accusing and I'm not trying to be argumentative.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I seem to recall a story that got buried mighty fast wherein "Big Papi" admitted he may have unknowingly taken steroids. <_<

Wow. Anything involving Boston sports you have the need to jump on. Put an asterik next to the Patriots' Super Bowl wins too right? Maybe the same asterik next to anything Mark McGwire accomplished?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

If it was prescribed to him for a medical condition, and he took it before it was banned, then it's not an issue.

It shouldn't be an issue at all if he had a legal prescription for it.

He's publicly admitted to using it, he hasn't hidden anything.

Not a big deal.

But I'd still like to know whether or not HGH was he only option. I have no idea what his problem was, so I can't say whether it was a 100% need to take it or not. I think it would be just as bad if he find out there were other options and decided to take HGH because it would help out his baseball career (and then get the free pass because it was a prescription). I'm not ready to call him a cheater yet, but I'd still like to get a little more information.

You don't get a 'free pass' just because you have a prescription. Off-label use of prescription is still illegal and has been since 1990. If I really wanted to, I get get a prescription for HGH tomorrow, either off the net or some dopey-ass anti-aging clinic. It's still illegal if it doesn't meet the label restrictions. Of course, I could never afford to actually get the prescription filled, but if I made pro athlete money, it'd be as easy as snapping my fingers.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wow. Anything involving Boston sports you have the need to jump on. Put an asterik next to the Patriots' Super Bowl wins too right? Maybe the same asterik next to anything Mark McGwire accomplished?

Go right ahead...the only point on which I oppose asterisking McGwire centers on a belief that steroid use is so widespread in the Majors that it's no longer cheating for players to take performance enhancers, rather it's a necessity to keep up with everyone else.

Oh and Pujols can have an asterisk too, since we're handing things out freely.

--------------------------------------------------

It is funny how these stories come out at such "opportune" times. Ask yourself this...which team would MLB and Fox prefer to play in the World Series...Boston with its excellent TV numbers and legion upon legion of bandwagoning fans, or small market Cleveland? Keep in mind that the NL isn't going to be bolstering the TV numbers with Colorado as its entrant. Now I'm not saying this cost Cleveland the game (far from it...given the nature of their bullpen's collapse), but it is "convenient" that the story comes out right before Game 7.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ok...I was just about to write this long winded response about how HGH doesn't really build strength, but in looking for a link to provide it does actually increase muscle mass.

I still say if you offered Babe Ruth or anyone in the past a cream or a pill that would help them be a better ball player, but take 10 years off their life they'd take it in a second. They took greenies for years, but that's all forgotten because the players of the past were "pure".

Its going to be very interesting after the world series. The Mitchell report is coming out between Halloween and thanksgiving and evidently, there are some very big names that have not been linked to steroids before on the list.

Archived