NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kinda-sorta. It had the Sabres crest in the upper right, and I think it was blue. I didn't see what the back looked like.

It had a larger version of the Sabres classic crest on the back.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Small classic crest on front, large on back? I like that better than the wordmarks.

Yeah, it looked much more sharp that way. You can KIND OF see them behind the bench in this shot (that I got from the user photos section of a Buffalo TV station's website). I'm still looking for a better one.

bowl1.jpg

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

You can KIND OF see them behind the bench in this shot (that I got from the user photos section of a Buffalo TV station's website). I'm still looking for a better one.

bowl1.jpg

I really like that. Varsity jackets are so classic, I'm surprised more teams and leagues don't market them.

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they measure ratings throughout the entire game. Honestly, do you think the ratings would not have been the same if Buffalo had scored in OT or won the shootout? It ended the way it did because that's the way it ended. No one game is going to bring the NHL to prominence. If it could, they would have done it a lot sooner.

Now what's this you say about Neil Armstrong walking in a warehouse, the government being responsible for JFK and 9/11 and there being a monster in Loch Ness?

yeah i know im a bit of a conspiracy theorist...i just thought it was a bit much of a coincidence. i mean the ratings wouldve been the same, but the ending just seemed...fishy to me.

The draft which resulted in him winding up in Pittsburgh is the fishiest of them all...

NO :censored: RIGHT?!

EDIT: Nevermind. :rolleyes:

oBIgzrL.png

Blackhawks v Red Wings at Comerica Park or Solider Field.

Nuh uh! Blackhawks vs. Red Wings @ Michigan Stadium!

Also, Scott Burnside can suck my left...over Christmas turkey! :hockeysmiley:

That will never happen first off Wings owner Mike Illitch owns Comerica Park and all of the surrounding parking lots, bars and restaurants, so he would make a killing from all of that stuff, and the University of Michigan would most likely have a Michigan v Michigan State game if they ever did a game at Michigan Stadium.

I think I read this somewhere a while ago (don't remember where or when), but rumor around here is that they are trying to do Cold War II (UM vs. MSU), and a Red Wings-Maple Leafs game, in a doubleheader. If someone else can confirm this, that'd be great.

Here you go:

Possible Doubleheader at Ford Field

Thanks so much. For some reason I thought that was at the Big House. Guess not. I really doubt they would host something at the Big House until 2010 when the renovations are done, but a return trip of the Cold War at the Big House would be insane.

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they measure ratings throughout the entire game. Honestly, do you think the ratings would not have been the same if Buffalo had scored in OT or won the shootout? It ended the way it did because that's the way it ended. No one game is going to bring the NHL to prominence. If it could, they would have done it a lot sooner.

Now what's this you say about Neil Armstrong walking in a warehouse, the government being responsible for JFK and 9/11 and there being a monster in Loch Ness?

yeah i know im a bit of a conspiracy theorist...i just thought it was a bit much of a coincidence. i mean the ratings wouldve been the same, but the ending just seemed...fishy to me.

The draft which resulted in him winding up in Pittsburgh is the fishiest of them all...

NO :censored: RIGHT?!

EDIT: Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Awww come on, you think the projected next best player happened to wind up in a city in need of fan support and a new arena by chance...? ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

My question is why did Crosby go last? Don't you put your best players first or second? Certainly not third. Had the Sabres scored twice instead of once in the shootout Crosby would have never shot.

Chris Letang is arguably the Pens best shootout choice. The goal he scored made him 4-4 on the year. Crosby may be the best player but Therien did right by having Letang go second.

As of Dec 28/07 - http://www.nhl.com/stats/shootout_report.pdf

Sidney Crosby - 1 for 5

Kris Letang - 3 for 3

Ok that makes sense. Its funny how it worked out though. Is that the pens normal shooting order?

Did Crosby win the Cup in overtime of game 7 or did he win a regular season shoot out?

-Dan

Guess you had to have been there. It was no first down, that's for sure.

For those who watched the game, Sidney Crosby was able to pull off a pretty good spin move on his own while shooting the puck backhand on net. I think he survived...

You being from Pittsburgh should know by now that he's a God.

NO RIGHT?!

EDIT: Nevermind.

Awww come on, you think the projected next best player happened to wind up in a city in need of fan support and a new arena by chance...? ^_^

sure, its possible it was fixed, but there are many other things Bettman couldve done that couldve made even more money than sending Crosby to Pittsburgh.

And do NOT get me started on the pens and fan support (then again, coming from a man whos a fan of a team with fans of insanity comparable to Steelers fans, I understand :P )

oBIgzrL.png

NO RIGHT?!

sure, its possible it was fixed, but there are many other things Bettman couldve done that couldve made even more money than sending Crosby to Pittsburgh.

And do NOT get me started on the pens and fan support (then again, coming from a man whos a fan of a team with fans of insanity comparable to Steelers fans, I understand :P )

Pfffft, we have fans and we have idoits. Sadly most are of the latter...

And there isn't much else Bettman could have done to help revive Pittsburgh besides sending Jagr back somehow or hoping they keep bombing to get high draft picks. You gotta admit, if they didn't "win" the lottery... who knows what state your team would be in (not physical state but hypothetical one... but it could also mean both, muahahah). Fleury and Malkin would not be enough to keep that team there without Sid the overhyped kid leading the pack.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

NO RIGHT?!

Pfffft, we have fans and we have idoits. Sadly most are of the latter...

Pfffft, you're all Leaf fans. Leaf fans != hockey fans...btw, you spelled "idiots" wrong :D

Sid the overhyped kid

sour grapes, leaf nation, sour grapes.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Pfffft, you're all Leaf fans. Leaf fans != hockey fans...btw, you spelled "idiots" wrong :D
Sid the overhyped kid

sour grapes, leaf nation, sour grapes.

Pffffft, I'm tired and realise I should have looked it over before hitting "add reply". By the way... what the heck are the "Leaf"? I know of a team called the Leafs, but not Leaf. ^_^

I almost got to hang out with him a few months back and may get a chance to next year if things work out... he isn't a bad player but I am just getting sick of seeing his mug EVERYWHERE and his name on every kid and cougars back!! I have nothing against the guy (he is starting to shut up on ice) but I just want to see him a little less... if it is possible...

BTW, to contribute to this thread, my friend who attended the game and sat in one of the boxes brought me back a, wait for it, $10US program! It definatly was not worth $10 (but I didn't have to pay!) but is interesting none the less, has a good article about the Heritage Classic game, the Michigan game and some other little articles on the pens and sabres, also some stats pages. Any specific questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I almost got to hang out with him a few months back and may get a chance to next year if things work out... he isn't a bad player but I am just getting sick of seeing his mug EVERYWHERE and his name on every kid and cougars back!! I have nothing against the guy (he is starting to shut up on ice) but I just want to see him a little less... if it is possible...

His face might be everywhere, but that's because the NHL needs to market him. If they are going to get more non-hockey fans and turn them into hockey fans, Crosby is going to be the one to do that. He is a great young player, and they can market him as the next Gretzky.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Why would the Sabres wear white? Confusing. Also, I really don't see the Pens wearing the baby blues. I'd expect Lemieux-era black and gold... you know, from the championship years.

I agree, though maybe the idea is to capture the teams image from when they first entered the NHL.

If thats the case they shouldve gone with these:

1.jpg

Now that would've been cool.

These are the best Penguins uniforms EVER! They were worn only one season ('67-'68) and they were made by General Athletic of Greenville, Ohio. Sadly they're now out of business. Forget the crap-a** Black & Gold!!!

Why would the Sabres wear white? Confusing. Also, I really don't see the Pens wearing the baby blues. I'd expect Lemieux-era black and gold... you know, from the championship years.

I agree, though maybe the idea is to capture the teams image from when they first entered the NHL.

If thats the case they shouldve gone with these:

1.jpg

Now that would've been cool.

These are the best Penguins uniforms EVER! They were worn only one season ('67-'68) and they were made by General Athletic of Greenville, Ohio. Sadly they're now out of business. Forget the crap-a** Black & Gold!!!

Maybe Bettman doesnt want to miss out on using him to market the leauge, unlike when Lemieux and Gretzky both played?

I believe mtchell and ness still make them for quite a bit of money...ive seen them around the igloo...and the black and gold is NOT crap-ass.

And there isn't much else Bettman could have done to help revive Pittsburgh besides sending Jagr back somehow or hoping they keep bombing to get high draft picks. You gotta admit, if they didn't "win" the lottery... who knows what state your team would be in (not physical state but hypothetical one... but it could also mean both, muahahah). Fleury and Malkin would not be enough to keep that team there without Sid the overhyped kid leading the pack.

I meant the league, not the Pens. Imagine if sid went ot Phoenix, LA (with Kopitar), Florida, St. Louis, Washington (with Ovechkin)....Bettman couldve cared less about the pens. He wouldve never barred the move (even if he could), the rumors of Balsille not buying the team because Bettman wanted him to try to keep the pens in Pittsburgh are only rumors....think of how much money there would be made with new uniforms, name, logo, marketing a team in a new place not nessicarily exposed to hockey....he couldve benefitted alot by abandoning the pens.

Im not denying the possibility the draft was fixed, but, seriously, if the NHL were to stoop that low wouldnt we notice some other more shady things? *forgets about them allowing RBK's uniformageddon*

And its possible the pens would have seen their fans coming back again with Malkin and Fleury, because we were looking for anything to help the team at that point. Heck, when Fleury played a few games in '03 people flocked the place to finally see a good young goalie again.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived