NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

Did Crosby win the Cup in overtime of game 7 or did he win a regular season shoot out?

-Dan

What's with the random Crosby hating? And what's your point? He's in his third season, already the best player in the league, led his team to the playoffs last year and is on course to again this year, and he'll prolly win the cup within 3 or 4 years.

For now, this was a wonderful game which he provided an exciting finish to. I don't think anyone besides you is making something more of it than that.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Crosby win the Cup in overtime of game 7 or did he win a regular season shoot out?

-Dan

What's with the random Crosby hating? And what's your point? He's in his third season, already the best player in the league, led his team to the playoffs last year and is on course to again this year, and he'll prolly win the cup within 3 or 4 years.

For now, this was a wonderful game which he provided an exciting finish to. I don't think anyone besides you is making something more of it than that.

I'm not trying to bash Sid here, but what do you mean he'll win the cup in 3 or 4 years? What's he gonna do win it on his own? This is why Crosby get's bashed by people, because for some reason he's bigger then the team and the captain should never be bigger then the team. A better player/leader yes, but it shouldn't be Crosby will win the cup. The Penguins will win the cup is more suited, which i don't agree with but let's not argue that here.

untitled-6.jpg

-Dan

I'm not trying to bash Sid here, but what do you mean he'll win the cup in 3 or 4 years? What's he gonna do win it on his own? This is why Crosby get's bashed by people, because for some reason he's bigger then the team and the captain should never be bigger then the team. A better player/leader yes, but it shouldn't be Crosby will win the cup. The Penguins will win the cup is more suited, which i don't agree with but let's not argue that here.

OK you're really splitting hairs now, obviously I meant "he'll lead his team to a cup win", not "he'll win it by himself despite the rest of his team". He's got a lotta good young guys around him in Malkin, Armstrong, Staal, Whitney etc., and they seem like a team poised to be contenders for years to come. And he's not bigger than the team, he's just a superstar and the face of the game, so naturally he's the focus anytime the Penguins play. Can you name 3 other Bulls during the Jordan era, or 3 other LA Kings in the early 90's? I'm not selling the team short (I love Colby Armstrong) but Crosby is what's bringing people back to hockey.

Not random hating. I'm just from the "act like you've scored before" school of thought." I don't think I've seen captians like Yzerman, Sakic, Iginla, Sundin etc... get that excited over a non-milestone regular season goal.

Dan

Kings

Lucky Luc

Sandstrom

Nichols

Kurri

McSorley

Blake

Hrudey

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

They won about as tough a road game as you can have. Allow the celebration.

Also, for Gretzky's Kings, the ones that come to mind for me are Robitaille/Kurri/McSorley/Hrudey/Nicholls. I didn't think of Sandstrom or Rob Blake. I associate Blake with the Avs more, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you ask me, I like seeing guys celebrate when they score. The passion and intensity of just one game, even in the regular season, can get pretty huge, and it's always been great to see guys go nuts.

As long as its not ridiculous or insulting to the other team, it's good for the game to see the guys excited.

I don't think I saw this mentioned in here--I'm sure it was and I missed it, but I'll bring it up again--I really liked the Sabres jacket that Lindy Ruff was wearing behind the bench. It's very coach-like. I might prefer to see coaches in team-themed coats like that rather than just tired dull suits. If nothing else, give them the option to wear team apparel. For some reason, Denis Savard looks like he should be wearing a tracksuit at all times.

It looked a lot like my old high school jacket.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

-Dan

I guess you missed the memo that it's cool to hate on the best players.

If he's referring to the jubliation at the end, I'd rather see that than a group of players who don't seem to care if they win or lose a game.

A group taht shows no emotion has no emotion...no emotion = no wins

oBIgzrL.png

Blackhawks v Red Wings at Comerica Park or Solider Field.

Nuh uh! Blackhawks vs. Red Wings @ Michigan Stadium!

Also, Scott Burnside can suck my left...over Christmas turkey! :hockeysmiley:

That will never happen first off Wings owner Mike Illitch owns Comerica Park and all of the surrounding parking lots, bars and restaurants, so he would make a killing from all of that stuff, and the University of Michigan would most likely have a Michigan v Michigan State game if they ever did a game at Michigan Stadium.

I think I read this somewhere a while ago (don't remember where or when), but rumor around here is that they are trying to do Cold War II (UM vs. MSU), and a Red Wings-Maple Leafs game, in a doubleheader. If someone else can confirm this, that'd be great.

Here you go:

Possible Doubleheader at Ford Field

Blackhawks v Red Wings at Comerica Park or Solider Field.

Nuh uh! Blackhawks vs. Red Wings @ Michigan Stadium!

Also, Scott Burnside can suck my left...over Christmas turkey! :hockeysmiley:

That will never happen first off Wings owner Mike Illitch owns Comerica Park and all of the surrounding parking lots, bars and restaurants, so he would make a killing from all of that stuff, and the University of Michigan would most likely have a Michigan v Michigan State game if they ever did a game at Michigan Stadium.

I think I read this somewhere a while ago (don't remember where or when), but rumor around here is that they are trying to do Cold War II (UM vs. MSU), and a Red Wings-Maple Leafs game, in a doubleheader. If someone else can confirm this, that'd be great.

Here you go:

Possible Doubleheader at Ford Field

A huge crowd would be neat, but its not the same as out doors.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me. i will say this, Crosby is a great player, and i dont have a problem with the celebrations, for the love of god i like Alex Ovechkin. i think most people tend to send venom towards something that is perceived to be shoved down our throats. such as the nfl and espn shoving the Patriots down our throats. my problem isnt necessarily with Crosby himself (although i hate his incessant whining) its the fact that the NHL is leaning on him and concentrating on him as the "savior of hockey" when there is so many freakin other great players in this league, such as my boy Alex Ovechkin, Jarome Iginla, Vinny Lecavalier, Dany Heatley, etc etc etc, they act like he is the only player worth watching in the league. so my problem isnt with Crosby, its the way the NHL uses him that makes me sick of him. not to mention, hes a Penguin, its in my blood to hate them.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

My question is why did Crosby go last? Don't you put your best players first or second? Certainly not third. Had the Sabres scored twice instead of once in the shootout Crosby would have never shot.

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they measure ratings throughout the entire game. Honestly, do you think the ratings would not have been the same if Buffalo had scored in OT or won the shootout? It ended the way it did because that's the way it ended. No one game is going to bring the NHL to prominence. If it could, they would have done it a lot sooner.

Now what's this you say about Neil Armstrong walking in a warehouse, the government being responsible for JFK and 9/11 and there being a monster in Loch Ness?

My question is why did Crosby go last? Don't you put your best players first or second? Certainly not third. Had the Sabres scored twice instead of once in the shootout Crosby would have never shot.

Chris Letang is arguably the Pens best shootout choice. The goal he scored made him 4-4 on the year. Crosby may be the best player but Therien did right by having Letang go second.

Chris Letang is arguably the Pens best shootout choice. The goal he scored made him 4-4 on the year. Crosby may be the best player but Therien did right by having Letang go second.

As of Dec 28/07 - http://www.nhl.com/stats/shootout_report.pdf

Sidney Crosby - 1 for 5

Kris Letang - 3 for 3

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me. i will say this, Crosby is a great player, and i dont have a problem with the celebrations, for the love of god i like Alex Ovechkin. i think most people tend to send venom towards something that is perceived to be shoved down our throats. such as the nfl and espn shoving the Patriots down our throats. my problem isnt necessarily with Crosby himself (although i hate his incessant whining) its the fact that the NHL is leaning on him and concentrating on him as the "savior of hockey" when there is so many freakin other great players in this league, such as my boy Alex Ovechkin, Jarome Iginla, Vinny Lecavalier, Dany Heatley, etc etc etc, they act like he is the only player worth watching in the league. so my problem isnt with Crosby, its the way the NHL uses him that makes me sick of him. not to mention, hes a Penguin, its in my blood to hate them.

Therriens four guaranteed shootout men are Christensen, Letang, Ruutu, and Crosby. Christensen is almost always first since hes pretty much automatic. Letang, each time hes gone has gone twice three out of his four shots, and Therrien usually puts Crosby out third if two of the others are used up and theres a chance to win on the shot. Ruutu is, at the soonest, the fourth shooter. This was not scripted or fixed.

And Crosby does complain too much, yes, but when he does its never for no reason.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived