NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was awesome. I hope they do it every year. Too bad the throwback to hockey's outdoor roots had to end in the tainted unholiness that is the shootout.

Also... it would have been extra awesome if all the players' moms brought them hot cocoa at the end of the game.

Supplied by Tim Hortons of course.

untitled-6.jpg

My bet is Devils-Rangers at Giants Stadium. Seems to be a natural progression. Started in Canada as a one-time event. The idea gained fans and got popular, and they pulled one off in the States. Now they are gonna take it to the largest market the league has.

At least, i hope that's what they do.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If there is one next year (which isn't for sure), my bet it will be in Montreal with their 100 anniversary. Rumor is the Habs are going to try and get one for about a week before All-Star game where the league and the team can then have a week long hockey festival bookend by the Winter Classic and All-Star Game.

My bet is Devils-Rangers at Giants Stadium. Seems to be a natural progression. Started in Canada as a one-time event. The idea gained fans and got popular, and they pulled one off in the States. Now they are gonna take it to the largest market the league has.

... I suggest they wait until the new Giants Stadium is completed and play the game there.

I saw, I came, I left.

... I suggest they wait until the new Giants Stadium is completed and play the game there.

I threw that idea out there on the HFBoards a few days ago. 80s retro with the Rangers in the road blue "NEW YORK" script sweaters and the Devils in their white Christmas tree jerseys.

msg-117798227822.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this game more than I thought I would.

HD, baby, HD!

Just checked my on-screen guide for the game tomorrow, and it said nothing about it being in HD. Surely the NHL wouldn't be THAT dumb, would they?

Well, this IS the NHL we're talking about...

They advertised the game as HD during the Rose Bowl Parade earlier today.

I don't think it was in HD. My on-screen guide didn't have the HD logo next to it for the game (but it did for the NBC Nightly News). I checked TV listings online for various areas & none showed HD. When I checked titantv.com & filtered for only HD programs, it didn't show up. However some people on hfboards.com and avsforum.com were so adamant that this game was in HD & that it was an affiliate thing. Can anyone confirm if this game was indeed shown in HD on NBC?

If the NHL was smart they would have a few of these games next year, maybe 2 in Canada and 3 in the U.S.

U.S. Games

Pens v Flyers at Beaver Stadium in State College, would draw over 100,000 fans.

Rangers v Bruins at Fenway Park in Boston, small stadium but they could charge big money for the tix.

Wild v Stars at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, weather maybe a factor and the game couldn't be played on New Years Day.

Canadian Games

Maple Leafs v Habs at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Oilers v Flames at McMahon Stadium in Calgary.

Down the line you could have games like

Islanders v Rangers at the New Yankee Stadium or Citi Park.

Stars v Wild at new U of Minnesota Football Stadium.

Senators v Maple Leafs at Skydome or Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton.

Blackhawks v Red Wings at Comerica Park or Solider Field.

Also the game was in HD on NBC.

The one rumor which has kicked around since the Heritage Classic has been the Leafs hosting someone in the Rogers Centre, although the only problem would be that the dome is "winterized" so it cannot open in the winter which would have to happen in order for this event to take place. If they could find a way to re-open it in the cold without damaging it in the process I'm sure it could work, especially if they host the Habs or Sens, both of which you can guarantee would draw insane numbers.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

If the NHL was smart they would have a few of these games next year, maybe 2 in Canada and 3 in the U.S.

No, if they were smart, they'd have one every year or every other year. Make it an EVENT, not another game on the schedule.

My money's on NYC getting one, but I can see Minneapolis getting a game as soon as an outdoor stadium gets built.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm really looking forward to this game more than I thought I would.

HD, baby, HD!

Just checked my on-screen guide for the game tomorrow, and it said nothing about it being in HD. Surely the NHL wouldn't be THAT dumb, would they?

Well, this IS the NHL we're talking about...

They advertised the game as HD during the Rose Bowl Parade earlier today.

I don't think it was in HD. My on-screen guide didn't have the HD logo next to it for the game (but it did for the NBC Nightly News). I checked TV listings online for various areas & none showed HD. When I checked titantv.com & filtered for only HD programs, it didn't show up. However some people on hfboards.com and avsforum.com were so adamant that this game was in HD & that it was an affiliate thing. Can anyone confirm if this game was indeed shown in HD on NBC?

It was in HD and looked glorious on my 60-inch plasma.

And as my grandmother (watching her first ever hockey game) said, "That announcer (Mike Emirck) could make knitting sound exciting."

This idea just isn't feasible, imagine the amount of money the NHL spent to pull this event off this year. This league is barely keeping it's head above water I would doubt they could afford to try and pull this off 5 times a year. I don't think they want to even do this once a year. They might have to if they get enough good feedback, but I think if you did it every 3 years or so you would maintain the huge "event" status.

By the way, I was at the game today and it was fantastic. I was able to bring my 15 and 10 year old boys and I guarantee this is a memory that will last a long time. This might be the first sporting event where the home crowd was all smiles after a loss. The weather was great, the crowd was great and the teams put on a pretty good show on substandard ice.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but could this have played out any better for the suits in the NHL offices? Sidney Crosby scores the winning goal on the final shootout attempt.

The one rumor which has kicked around since the Heritage Classic has been the Leafs hosting someone in the Rogers Centre, although the only problem would be that the dome is "winterized" so it cannot open in the winter which would have to happen in order for this event to take place. If they could find a way to re-open it in the cold without damaging it in the process I'm sure it could work, especially if they host the Habs or Sens, both of which you can guarantee would draw insane numbers.

Why don't they have it at BMO Field?

temp.png

TorontoMapleLeafs1.png

why not the all-star game?... it's a one time a season fluff event anyways

Money. They combine the two the league can only make money off of one big event. If there is a winter classic and all-star game they can make more money off of both events.

No, if they were smart, they'd have one every year or every other year. Make it an EVENT, not another game on the schedule.

My money's on NYC getting one, but I can see Minneapolis getting a game as soon as an outdoor stadium gets built.

I agree... make it a once a year event. They could pull off some really great ones if they plan it right. If it wasn't in the middle of bowl season, I'd even suggest having a game somewhere in the South or Southwest.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Why don't they have it at BMO Field?

To small. Only seats about 30 000

Archived