NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

On a side note, did anyone else notice how few commercials there were compared to a football game? Under normal circumstances I would understand a lack of advertising, as hockey is a very fluid game with far fewer stops in play. However, there was one point (before overtime I believe) during which the commentators talked at length about how Buffalo's club had been brought back from near-bankruptcy. (They even had enough time to joke about selling their notes on eBay because they were so pretty with all the different coloured pens they'd used.) I'd have guessed they'd have gone to commercial at some point during that stoppage, but they did not, and overtime commenced.

That's because NHL rules restrict when television can go to commercial. Commercial breaks are the first stoppage after the 14, 10, and 6 minute mark and no commercials in OT (even in the playoffs which has full OT periods). TV also can't go to commercial after a goal or during a power play (but can right before the power play starts). The last part of the second there actual wasn't a stoppage after the second commecial break and thus they missed the final tv timeout. The delays that happened obviously aren't normal and were due the weather conditions and the fact they were playing on atemporary surface just built in under 10 days. They didn't know how long the breaks would be so they were stuck trying to fill time although NBC probably should have anticipated it. They did go to commercial during one of the breaks probably to make up for the missed break.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an idea. There has been talk whether or not the NHL should have the event every year. I think they should because it always has huge response from the fans. As for the idea, if they have this event every year insted of the coaches complaing about the point system and having all the special treatment for each team. They should just have the winter classic as the All-star game. players wont get hurt, because in All-Star games they players never go all out, throw the huge hits, or even give a hit.

I may have rambled on a bit in that, but what do you guys think?

spezzaheatley1.png

I have an idea. There has been talk whether or not the NHL should have the event every year. I think they should because it always has huge response from the fans. As for the idea, if they have this event every year insted of the coaches complaing about the point system and having all the special treatment for each team. They should just have the winter classic as the All-star game. players wont get hurt, because in All-Star games they players never go all out, throw the huge hits, or even give a hit.

But then teams in warm climates or in cities with small stadiums would complain about how they compete with large stadium/cold cities to get it - or, the other way, teams in cities with small stadiums or warm climates do get it and teams in cold climates or with large stadiums complain about how they were more deserving of it.

oBIgzrL.png

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they measure ratings throughout the entire game. Honestly, do you think the ratings would not have been the same if Buffalo had scored in OT or won the shootout? It ended the way it did because that's the way it ended. No one game is going to bring the NHL to prominence. If it could, they would have done it a lot sooner.

Now what's this you say about Neil Armstrong walking in a warehouse, the government being responsible for JFK and 9/11 and there being a monster in Loch Ness?

yeah i know im a bit of a conspiracy theorist...i just thought it was a bit much of a coincidence. i mean the ratings wouldve been the same, but the ending just seemed...fishy to me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

forgive me for "Crosby hating" but i do, its in my nature, im a Caps fan, however did that game seem a bit...scripted to anyone else? a great game, ended by the abomination that is gary buttmans love child the shootout, by the player that the league is wrapping itself around. that just seems...too perfectly wrapped up in a bow with the highest rated regular season game in a long time (if not ever i believe). just seems..too perfect if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they measure ratings throughout the entire game. Honestly, do you think the ratings would not have been the same if Buffalo had scored in OT or won the shootout? It ended the way it did because that's the way it ended. No one game is going to bring the NHL to prominence. If it could, they would have done it a lot sooner.

Now what's this you say about Neil Armstrong walking in a warehouse, the government being responsible for JFK and 9/11 and there being a monster in Loch Ness?

yeah i know im a bit of a conspiracy theorist...i just thought it was a bit much of a coincidence. i mean the ratings wouldve been the same, but the ending just seemed...fishy to me.

The draft which resulted in him winding up in Pittsburgh is the fishiest of them all...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The draft which resulted in him winding up in Pittsburgh is the fishiest of them all...

NO :censored: RIGHT?!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Here's another fun thing I've noticed about hockey in general (and I know we're moving further from the uniforms, but so be it). Playing off the emotion thing: the reactions of the players when they score a goal (in most cases I've seen) are sticks and fists going into the air and everyone seeming to be genuinely happy and hugging the guy who shot the goal, etc. In football (even college and a bit in high school), there's a good bit of show-boating after scoring a touchdown. But in hockey, it's generally a sincere reaction of happiness that a goal has just been scored.

Oh, and another thing (and this is about the uniforms!). Has anyone else noticed how fan favorites seem to rest with powder blue (or a variation thereof) throwbacks? I?ve not really gauged the reaction of this forum to the Pens? uniforms, but I know several die-hard Pens fans who loved the look. That was interesting to me as I (along with a lot of fans) am a big fan the Chargers? 1964 powder blue uniforms. And I for one wouldn?t mind seeing the Lakers trot out in their powder (and other blues) uniforms from the 1960?s again. (I absolve myself from commenting on powder blue away uniforms in baseball, as I know very little about them. Although I think the KC Royals? uniforms should incorporate powder, navy and white with grey aways.)

It?s just an interesting coincidence that I was wondering if anyone else had noticed.

Its a neat idea, but the All Star game is usually really :censored:ty hockey. Its not a good advertisement for the sport, and I think thats what you want to do with an outdoor game.

Here's another fun thing I've noticed about hockey in general (and I know we're moving further from the uniforms, but so be it). Playing off the emotion thing: the reactions of the players when they score a goal (in most cases I've seen) are sticks and fists going into the air and everyone seeming to be genuinely happy and hugging the guy who shot the goal, etc. In football (even college and a bit in high school), there's a good bit of show-boating after scoring a touchdown. But in hockey, it's generally a sincere reaction of happiness that a goal has just been scored.

I think if a player scores, that person goes to the player who "set him up" and congratulate him as well. I mean, that's how I play at least. No fist pumping in the air of sticks up high to celebrate are necessary. "Act like you've been there before."

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

[quote name='donjuangoaty27'

But your team has the other best player of a generation, right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

[quote name='donjuangoaty27'

But your team has the other best player of a generation, right?

Rory Fitzpatrick plays for the Caps?

More teams should just wear tan pads and gloves. Some of the more modern designs are kind of distracting to my eyes. The Canadiens and Blackhawks could benefit from this look.

A lot of modern pad design is about exactly that-distracting the shooter's eye. Guys like Fleury wear garishly bright or striped pads to make the shooter look at the pads, and supposedly they will be more likely to subconsciously want to shoot at the pads. It's the same thing as the whole "symmetrical/target-like jersey crest" theory.

Hm.. maybe the NHL should look into mandating goalies wear plain tan pads if they want scoring to increase.

More teams should just wear tan pads and gloves. Some of the more modern designs are kind of distracting to my eyes. The Canadiens and Blackhawks could benefit from this look.

A lot of modern pad design is about exactly that-distracting the shooter's eye. Guys like Fleury wear garishly bright or striped pads to make the shooter look at the pads, and supposedly they will be more likely to subconsciously want to shoot at the pads. It's the same thing as the whole "symmetrical/target-like jersey crest" theory.

Hm.. maybe the NHL should look into mandating goalies wear plain tan pads if they want scoring to increase.

They could, sure, but I think things like distracting goalie pads are one of the fun little quirks that create the hockey experience. Plus, without checking the stats, hasn't scoring already increased significantly since the rules changes?

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I didn't end up getting to watch the game, because my daughter picked that EXACT moment in time to be born. But I did watch a bit of it on tape last night during one of the marathon rocking her to sleep sessions, and the game LOOKED beautiful. So much so that I'm not even upset that my team lost.

I'd pay a whole lot of money for one of those varsity jackets that the Sabres coaches were wearing, though. They may have been the best looking pieces of the whole day.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I missed it - any pics of those jackets?

Those jackets were very nice.

Can't seem to find a picture...supposedly (take this for what its worth...read it in a few places), "...The NHL liked the jacket so much that it plans to make a version of it available for sale on its Web site (http://www.NHL.com) starting Wednesday..."

Archived