Big Ten Network

Claystation360

I just have to say as someone living in Northeast Florida and doesn't get to see much football besides what the SEC and ACC airs , of course being a ACC fan , but I like having another option , another network to watch bigten games and see what teams in other parts of the nation are doing . I wish the ACC, SEC, PAC, Big12 and even the Big East would follow suit . i mean even the mountain west has one .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

This is sarcasm, right? The Big Ten Network is the worst thing to happen to this Conference and its fans since they added Penn State without getting Notre Dame in the bargain. All it does is deprive many of the Big Ten's fans of the chance to see their teams in action.

(It does have the benefit of hiding the Conference's

from the public eye, though.)
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you can't get the BTN, blame your cable company, most likely Comcast, who are being morons in this matter.

I've got DirecTV. BTN, up to three games at one time (in HD too) and NFL Sunday Ticket. Who needs cable?

I live in St. Paul, have Comcast, and am thus unable to watch the Big Ten Network. Despite paying extra for the expanded sports tier, I am also unable to see the Comcast-owned "MTN." (MountainWest Sports Network) because Comcast refuses to air it outside of the MWC "footprint." I can watch Fox College Sports Atlantic, Central, and Pacific, but no Big Ten Network or MTN. Annoying.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

If you can't get the BTN, blame your cable company, most likely Comcast, who are being morons in this matter.

I've got DirecTV. BTN, up to three games at one time (in HD too) and NFL Sunday Ticket. Who needs cable?

I blame my cable company...but only somewhat. This is also Jim Delany's fault for being intractable/trying to get something that isn't really necessary.

And let's be honest...this was just a money grab by the Conference, not an attempt to provide an exclusive Big Ten media source for the fans. <_<

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As an alum of two Big Ten schools it would be great if I could get the BTN, but I can't. It hasn't bothered me too much during football season, but it definitely will with basketball starting. I blame the Big Ten for asking for too much (subscriber fees; requiring it to be on the basic plan) and Comcast for being stubborn and not trying to negotiate more. This battle will set an important precedent because most other conferences are going to start their own networks in the next few years so if Comcast caves to BTN it will have to cave to them all.

And let's be honest...this was just a money grab by the Conference, not an attempt to provide an exclusive Big Ten media source for the fans.

No doubt. And Comcast is looking out for their bottom line as well. I hate how both the BT and Comcast are trying to portray themselves as fighting for their customers. It's all about money and it's the fans that get screwed, as usual.

I've missed numerous games because the primary cable provider here on campus at Illinois doesn't carry BigTen. That'd be Insight here...and unfortunatley we're switching to Comcast on the first of January...they may never carry it.

That said, I LOVE the BigTen Network.

I watched it back home this weekend on DirectTV. Sure everything's a step down from the big outlets right now, but the amount of coverage is awesome.

I really love it.

I blame the cable companies, not the BTN.

When I get the option to not pay for Oxygen among other channels, then I'll start listening to the idea that they don't want to make their customers who wouldn't watch the channel pay for it.

Until then, Comcast and the few other holdouts need to STFU and add the channel to their primary package.

Comcast has already taken a large hit in customers. There's no other reason they'd be shelling out for full-page anti-BTN ads in major newspapers.

I blame both sides - the cable companies for saying take it or leave it, and the colleges for the money grab. Wisconsin is already taking a chunk of my taxes. And because of the BTN, they've taken the Saturday night replays of home games off the state Public TV network. (And don't say get a dish; I can't get one at my apartment.)

(I tried to post this just as the post was moved, and couldn't post it at first. Luckily, I figured it out. )

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Until then, Comcast and the few other holdouts need to STFU and add the channel to their primary package.

No they don't-putting it on the sports package is enough. Why? I might like having the "Big XII Network" on my primary package, but I and my family are not in the mood to pay to have the other 4 BCS Conference Networks as well.

Today, we are all otaku.

I live in Green Bay. I can't see the BTN.

My mother in law lives west of Gainesville, Fla. She can.

How farking stupid is that?

You live in GB, and your mother-in-law lives in Gainesville? C'mon you can't have everything :D

I'm hoping that something works out with the BTN and "local" cable. Basketball season is coming up, and I hope to see more games that it looks like I'll see.

My dreamy hope is that when either BTN or NFLN work out a deal with Time-Warner and Charter (being the two largest cable franchises in WI), the other will follow suit.

It's where I sit.

Yeah, I was kinda pissed to not be able to watch Wisconsin and Ohio State!

I was surprised that the Ohio State-Wisconsin game was on the Big Ten Network. I figured for football most of the games BTN televised would be match-ups like Indiana vs. Northwestern etc. and the "big" games would still be on ESPN or ABC. I was in Tampa over the weekend and I wasn't worried about seeing the game down there because I just assumed with a 12:00 start it would be on ESPN somewhere. Fortunately we found a bar in Ybor City that had Direct TV and watched it there.

On topic, I think they're coverage is AAA level compared to ESPN or FSN but they're just getting started and it will take some time to find what works. I really like that I can choose from three games most of the time. As a Big Ten fan it's great to have a network devoted to the conference but the truth is we weren't lacking in coverage before. It's a money grab pure and simple but the Big Ten Network is just the beginning. It's the way sports are headed. I predict that in 20 years every conference and every MLB team will have their own networks and hold their on broadcast rights. The NFL network will be where you find all NFL games. In short, the "middle man" i.e. CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. will be eliminated from the equation.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I have seen more Illinois games this year because of Big Ten Network than I ever have since I lived near champaign.

I can't wait for basketball season and being able to watch the Illini in Hoosier country.

I live in Green Bay. I can't see the BTN.

My mother in law lives west of Gainesville, Fla. She can.

To be fair to the argument....you CAN get it, you CHOOSE not to correct? Call up DirecTV and it's yours in all its boringness.

You live in GB, and your mother-in-law lives in Gainesville? C'mon you can't have everything

That's pretty good in itself!!!

And don't say get a dish; I can't get one at my apartment.

You sure about this? I'm not talking about asking the guy or gal you rent from....have you checked with an attorney or local legislation? Lotta interesting bits nationally about the legality of this stemming from renters getting raped by having only a monopolistic cable company to get service from.

jongarlanduj6.jpg

Archived