Chief Wahoo Shrinking?

skizum1

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but this is a trend that i am noticing with my hometown Cleveland Indians. Over the past 15 years it seems like the Chief Wahoo logo is slowly shrinking in size on the home caps. I know that there is contreversy surrounding Chief Wahoo and Indian activists, but do you think that the Cleveland Indians are doing this to slowly phase out Chief Wahoo. I am curious to here the thoughts of others on this topic.

Go Tribe!

AACY033~Jim-Thome-Studio-Portrait-Photofile-Posters.jpg

250px-Vizquel96.jpg

2006 Road Cap

hu_060524hafner1v.jpg

2007 Home Cap

large_sizemoreSI.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see a difference on the 1995 and 1997 Chief Wahoo. I know that Wahoo was slightly different on the home opposed to the away caps from 1994-2001, but I thought that he stayed the same size throughout that era. I thought in 2002 when silver was added, the Indians also shrunk the cap logo. Regardless, I wish the Indians would go back to how their caps were from 1994-2001 (and maybe it was even the same cap before 1994 as well.)

Big Chief Wahoo > Lil' Chief Wahoo.

The logo did get smaller, and it looks worse.

As for the pictures you posted, the first one is incorrect. While Thome is wearing an old cap, he is wearing the jersey worn until last year (02-07). Judging by Russell logo on the left sleeve, that pic was taken in 2002.

I was gonna say, that's the new jersey and I thought Thome got traded to Philly before they added the silver trim....

And the logo really hasn't been "gradually shrinking", they shrunk it once, to where it is now, in 2002 when they added the silver trim and lightened the blue. I actually like the smaller logo on the hat, it looks a little classier and more modern. I totally dig the lighter blue as well; too many teams use a navy that's next to black-Twins, Braves, Yankees, Red Sox. The Tribe's hats stand out from the pack now.

And just because the logo is smaller, I don't think you can say they're trying to phase it out. It's still there, AND on the jersey sleeve AND the front of the old Sunday alternate. So they actually increased its exposure. And it's still on the new unis as well (minus the throwback), so I think it's here to stay.

I actually like the smaller logo on the hat, it looks a little classier and more modern.

A top hat and a monocle wouldn't make Chief Wahoo classy. That doesn't mean it's a bad hat, though! It's iconic. It can never leave us again, though the C from the "Cleveland" on the greys wouldn't look horrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't really see a difference on the 1995 and 1997 Chief Wahoo. I know that Wahoo was slightly different on the home opposed to the away caps from 1994-2001, but I thought that he stayed the same size throughout that era. I thought in 2002 when silver was added, the Indians also shrunk the cap logo. Regardless, I wish the Indians would go back to how their caps were from 1994-2001 (and maybe it was even the same cap before 1994 as well.)

Big Chief Wahoo > Lil' Chief Wahoo.

I'm pretty sure that's right. I think the picture of Thome is probably from '01 or '02 when they were in the process of introducing the new unis, because he has, what seems to be, an older cap, with the new unis. Cause I know when they added silver to the unis, the logo was smaller.

If the picture was from '95, as indicated, the unis would look similar to these.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I love the bigger CW compared to the smaller one. but then again I grew up loving the Tribe. one of my favorite movies of all time is major league.

and we get it some people don like CW because of PC reasons. please don't turn this in to a debate over the logo.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I love the bigger CW compared to the smaller one. but then again I grew up loving the Tribe. one of my favorite movies of all time is major league.

and we get it some people don like CW because of PC reasons. please don't turn this in to a debate over the logo.

I grew up with those jerseys, too. I always thought those Indians' jerseys were the best in baseball, and that is coming from a White Sox fan who grew up hating Cleveland with a passion. They kicked our ass, but they looked so damn good doing it. The 02-07 jerseys sucked it hard. They took great unis and messed them up. The changes for 08 didn't really rectify much.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Indians aren't getting rid of CW, as he's been part of their history since the mid 30's. Maybe they're just doing it to freshen up the look of the uniform. And even if they get rid of it they won't phase him out completely. Last time they did that, the started sucking really badly (during the 70's).

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

The Indians aren't getting rid of CW, as he's been part of their history since the mid 30's. Maybe they're just doing it to freshen up the look of the uniform. And even if they get rid of it they won't phase him out completely. Last time they did that, the started sucking really badly (during the 70's).

that necessarily wouldn't be a bad thing.

just sayin. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

And, yes, the PC card has been played. Wonderful way of dismissing peoples' opinions without really needing to think about them.

Aside from not liking CW "because of PC reasons," I think it's just plain a bad logo. A big smiling guy as the symbol for an MLB team? Really?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

And, yes, the PC card has been played. Wonderful way of dismissing peoples' opinions without really needing to think about them.

Aside from not liking CW "because of PC reasons," I think it's just plain a bad logo. A big smiling guy as the symbol for an MLB team? Really?

Good point. Love the guy who said they won't get rid of it because it's been around since the 30's. That's a ridiculous argument for keeping a logo that's so blatantly racist that it's astounding the team has kept it this long. :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Good point. Love the guy who said they won't get rid of it because it's been around since the 30's. That's a ridiculous argument for keeping a logo that's so blatantly racist that it's astounding the team has kept it this long. :rolleyes:

So... the name is ok as long as there isn't a little smiling indian representing them? Fantastic point!! ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

in my opinion its probably the best LOGO in the leguage. like i have stated in many other threads that have been brought up about CW, its refreshing to see an MLB team using an actual LOGO instead of generic Initial(s) on their caps.

but the basis of this thread wasnt to debate the meritts of the logo it's self. just the size of the acutal logo.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I think that shrinking the logo is a trend of modernization. In general, older uniforms and hats used larger pop graphics, while since the new millennium it's about being sleek and streamlined.

If they will get rid of it, though, it will be with the new uniforms in 2008. It's pretty hit-or-miss about whether or not people like it.

My Dad's side of my family is Cherokee. I grew up loving Chief Wahoo. Needless to say, I can see both sides of the argument. As I have grown older and researched my heritage my thoughts on the chief have changed. I don't think he's quite as offensive as the hardcore PC crowd does. The Chief is basically a cartoon character. He's certainly not a flattering portrayal but I have seen worse (like the 40's wahoo.) I don't wear any Indians gear that has Chief Wahoo in it. My hat is a 1970 hat with the wishbone c. My jerseys, t-shirts etc. are wahoo free.

As I said, I grew up loving Chief Wahoo and it's tough for me to say this because I really can see both sides of the debate. I think it's time to either update the chief to something more flattering or get rid of him all together. It's not about being "PC" it's just the right thing to do.

If the team is in fact "phasing out" Chief Wahoo, this lifelong Indians fan doesn't have a problem with it.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived