Indiana Helmet Change?

OnWis97

Indiana appeared all year in stripe-less helmets: (see here: http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...092207aaa.html)

Then wore the "I" Throwback helmet for the finale: (see here: http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...111707aaa.html)

But for yesterday's Insight Bowl, they wore the current uniforms with the "throwback" stripes on the helmet (see here: http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl...123107aaa.html)

I was supriesed not to see this topic, so my apologies if it was posted.

Anyone know why they did this? Did people there just like the throwback helmet so much? Is it viewed as a way to "de-Sooner-fy" the uniform?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Indiana appeared all year in stripe-less helmets

27324818tz8.jpg

Then wore the "I" Throwback helmet for the finale

42905472ag0.jpg

But for yesterday's Insight Bowl, they wore the current uniforms with the "throwback" stripes on the helmet

17711753gs5.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Also some of the players wore high black socks while others did not. My cousin, the far right in the last picture, was wearing them and sometimes was the only player on the field with high black socks on.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Indiana fans identify with the throwback helmet with the Block I on the side and stripes to the Bill Mallory era during the late 80s and early 90s when Indiana had some success, (ie getting to bowl games on a regular basis). Coach Lynch said something to the effect of the players liking the stripes as well as positive fan response. As an IU fan, I love the striped look and hope it remains. Regardless, with or without stripes, the current helmet is much better than the black helmets during the Cam Cameron era when Randle El was running wild.

10-26-00dsports-2.jpg

I like the stripe, makes it look less bland than an all-red helmet.

And yes, those Black helmets looks horrid. What does that logo on the side say anyways, I can't read it.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

It was an italicized, non-interlocking IU, surrounded by a red oval with white and black trim. Yes, they were horrendous, as was the pointless use of black in uniforms for a school who's colors are CRIMSON and CREAM.

Sigs are for sissies.

Indiana went back to the true school colors of crimson and cream beginning in the 2002-03 school year, the year following their run to the Final Four. They revised the logo slightly, basically removing the drop shadow and made the IU trident, or pitchfork as some refer to it, the athletic symbol for brand unity as different sports used different versions of the logo. For example the basketball team used an IU with the U much more rounded on the shorts. Also there was the horrible oval IU logo used on the black helmets during the Cam Cam era.

Archived