The infamous "tire tread" college basketball pattern

VandyDelphia Mike

There was one other Apex template that hasn't been mentioned. It was used by Penn and George Washington - and maybe North Carolina State. It had a sort of horizontal zig zag pattern on the right leg (it kind of shaped a mountain). On the left leg, there was a very odd shape that kind of looked as if it was the blade of an extremely fat sword. On the left side of the jersey was a diamond. They were completely bizarre, but I can remember as a youngster thinking that they were fantastic.

Would be the NC State unis you're talking about?

Photo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was able to find some pics of the NC State template:

290531.jpg

290533.jpg

I remember all these uniforms from back then. Including this one. But, looking at it now, I never realized how fricking HUGE those designs were on the shorts. I knew they took up some space, but my lord. There's hardly any part of the shorts not covered with one of the "leg designs".

Oh, and with the "tire tread" design, they all had the school names in that same font.

I've always been wondering about going back down that road, college uniform designs of the mid-90's. This thread makes me happy. :D

I was in my mid teens then, and I used to love Villanova's jersey. Boy, have things changed. I still love the colors, however.

I remember loving those, the logo, the uniforms, everything.

How misguided I was.

Although the wordmark still has a certain attraction to me. Perhaps its nostalgia though.

Somehow, someway, those Villanova jerseys still appeal to me.

Nostalgia, what a wonderful thing. Is that Kerry Kittles in the picture?

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Ugh, I HATED those Utah uniforms. Of all the gaudy and garish manufacturers of the era, I always felt Reebok was the worst. I honestly didn't like a single design at the time, and I like them less now.

While a lot of these 90's designs are hideous and do not stand the test of time, I loved them so much at the time that I think I really could credit them with much of my decision to be a graphic designer. Reminscing about all these Apex and Converse designs made me also track down pics of the old Minnesota Apex One jerseys with the massive "M" logos on the chest. It's probably not the appropriate place to post them, but perhaps I'll just start an Ode to 90's Collegiate Design thread.

I was in my mid teens then, and I used to love Villanova's jersey. Boy, have things changed. I still love the colors, however.

I could say that verbatim. I even had a replica of that jersey. Nova had a very minor-leagueish identity back then, but I thought it was cool because it made them look more "professional"

South Carolina State

scsu.jpg

South Carolina State?! You get mad props for even bringing them up...they don't fit in whatsoever with the other schools mentioned in this thread.

I considered going there, too.

Isn't SC State a historically black school? You would have totally been like Jamal Johnson from House Party II, as played by Kamron!

OMG, I grew up a huge college basketball fan in the 90s, and I didn't remember the unis looking as completely HORRIBLE as they did. That Kentucky Tony Delk pic with his enormous, slashed shorts to the goofy Villanova font, this was a scary walk down memory lane. And yeah, that is Kerry Kittles in the pic. Probably the only one of any note from Lappas' reign (aside from the Tim Thomas year of infamy).

Kerry Kittles FTW. He is one of my all time favorite Nets. I actually like that Villanova wordmark. Fits them well considering they are the Wildcats; however, it screams 1990's and their current set is better.

Man, those Texas uniforms are nasty. I'm assuming those are the Texas Longhorns uniforms? Gross.

As for the "tire tread", the Toronto Raptors sort of use it to a much lesser extent on the sides of their uniforms (though it is probably just two stripes that resemble tire treads and not an actual tire tread pattern they went for.)

Dang, a lot of these designs are just way too far "out there" and not in a good way.

Archived