The infamous "tire tread" college basketball pattern

VandyDelphia Mike

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
291050.jpg

Also worth noting, one long sock, one short sock. A signature look for Kittles' high school, one he was able to continue on the Main Line, but had to abandon once he got to Jersey. The NBA requires both socks to be of equal length.

Vanderbilt and Villanova faced one another in the 1994 NIT finals, with Villanova winning. Then the next season, both schools sported the same Apex template. Vanderbilt's had a less ostentatious wordmark, but the striping and (I believe) number font looked quite similar to the 'Nova look, just in Black & Gold. Incidentally, both teams left Apex after '95, with Villanova adopting Nike (their supplier ever since) and Vanderbilt eventually being a Nike team after stints with Russell and whomever the company is in this photo from early in the Dawid Przybyszewski era.

Team%20Celebration%2018.jpg

While I was able to dig out the tire treads thanks to viewimages and/or getty archives, photos on the internet of the '94-'95 Vanderbilt basketball unis have been next to impossible to locate. Here's the best I could find ...

19951209GeorgiaTech.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

every year of the pitino era at kentucky, they had new uniforms every year. the tradition has continued here at louisville. every season that he has been here, something has changed on the uniform from minor elements as a wordmark to a complete uniform overhaul.

besides no matter what uniform they're in, kentucky still sucks. :D

Call me crazy, but the Villanova look, wasn't too bad. Anyone else have the home white uni pics? St. John's wasn't too bad back then either. I also remember Duke had something going on with the shoulders (I want to say it was the year they had that imfamous OT thriller vs. North Carolina?)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Anyone have a Texas Longhorn bball pic circa 1995? They wore a jersey with a "Villanova like" cartoon font that was AWFUL. I think they only lasted one season. UT's website doesn't seem to have any pics from that season, possibly on purpose. People bag on Nike, but they absolutely saved Texas' basketball look in the late 90's.

Call me crazy, but the Villanova look, wasn't too bad. Anyone else have the home white uni pics? St. John's wasn't too bad back then either. I also remember Duke had something going on with the shoulders (I want to say it was the year they had that imfamous OT thriller vs. North Carolina?)

That was the season they finished with a losing record, I believe. It was the year where Cherokee Parks was there biggest returner and Trajan Langdon was a freshman. Those uniforms had colored shoulders and it was the first set to inroduce the "sword-like" side panels, where they come to a point at the bottom, which they still use to this day and many other colleges and high schools use as well. The colored shoulders only lasted that one season. I'll try and find a pic.

Minnesota also used the crazy Geometric design shown earlier on NC state and Tulsa.

Just the jersey

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2806252620101305670lTWIcU

also the rare once-worn black gophers uni

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2146397980101305670OSiNhy

...and a picture of miles tarver...just because I said so.

http://tinyurl.com/254ruv

That was the season they finished with a losing record, I believe. It was the year where Cherokee Parks was there biggest returner and Trajan Langdon was a freshman. Those uniforms had colored shoulders and it was the first set to inroduce the "sword-like" side panels, where they come to a point at the bottom, which they still use to this day and many other colleges and high schools use as well. The colored shoulders only lasted that one season. I'll try and find a pic.

Wasn't that the season that Coach K took off and left the job to Pete Gaudet?

Minnesota also used the crazy Geometric design shown earlier on NC state and Tulsa.

Just the jersey

That's the uniform I was looking for in Post #11 of this thread. The shorts are not the NC/Tulsa design though. If I could draw them, I would. The right leg had a horizontal striping pattern similar to what you see on the side panel of this jersey. It continued on the left leg, but was broken up by a diagonal stripe from the side of the left leg that went up and to the left (or, toward the right leg). There was an "M" on the top of that stripe (the best comparison I can make is to the 1990s Flames). I am pretty sure Clemson used the template the same year, but I have found photos of neither team's shorts (or jerseys for that matter).

It was ridiculous, but not "NC State/Tulsa" ridiculous.

Edit: While I was typing the above, the photo on the previous post appeared.

I'd like to find a Clemson photo, which I don't think placed a logo where the "M" is.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just the jersey

Those Minnesota Apex uniforms actually varied a bit from the ones used by Tulsa, Penn, GW, and NC State. Those had a sort of plateau on the shorts with the logo placed above it.

298159.jpg

I was spent all Monday trying to find a pic of this template, but for some reason, I couldn't remember any particular school that wore them, except for Minnesota, but a pic never turned up.

At least the trim around the "objects" on the shorts matches the trim around the arm and neckholes. (white/maroon?/gold/maroon/white.)

:D

I'd like to find a Clemson photo, which I don't think placed a logo where the "M" is.

Can do...

347028.jpg

351755.jpg

It took me awhile to remember this, but these photos were actually taken in 1996, after Apex had stopped making college basketball uniforms and Converse had taken over many of the teams. So you'll notice on the lower right leg that there is a Converse star logo. So, basically, Apex designed the thing, outfitted Minnesota and Clemson with them, and then Converse outfitted Clemson in the exact same template.

Duke's:

291004.jpg

That was also a few years before they switched the wordmark from a vertical arch to radial arc. I loved the arched better.

Man, I don't like those, but I sure do miss the darker "Duke blue."

I remember thinking those would look better as a women's jersey.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived