Tampa Bay Storm New Helmets

Gary

Got this from Arenafan.com

New Storm Helmet

It looks like the Storm has disappeared. <script language=javascript src="http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=954&m=6&tp=8&d=j&t=n">

Well, from their helmets, anyway.

The Tampa Bay Storm will sport a slightly new look when they take the field March 1 in Kansas City to take on the Brigade. Gone from their helmets will be the familiar "Tampa Bay Storm" text logo with the familiar hurricane swirl replacing the "O" in Storm.

The Storm's helmet will instead feature an oversized blue swirl with no text on the sides. The color scheme will remain the same as the helmet will continue to be the familiar metallic gold with a royal blue "storm" swirl.

The change was confirmed by Storm Public Relations Director Jim Robinson.

According to Robinson, team color and logo changes must be submitted to the league with 18 months notice in order to give marketing ample time to adjust the templates needed to produce t-shirts, hats, and other fan memorabilia.

The Storm was purchased by local Tampa surgeon Dr. Robert Nucci on December 8, 2007. The logo change was not related to the change in ownership.

The Storm and the Nashville Kats were the last two teams to incorporate actual text in the logo on their helmets. With the Kats' franchise's dissolution and the change to the Storm's helmets, the AFL's helmets are now text-free.

As far as merchandise is concerned, there shouldn't be any major changes to the design of Storm gear; however, there should be a greater selection of items simply because Russell Athletic's contract with the AFL has been in place for a year.

"There should be more options this year," said Robinson.

This will be the fourth change of the Storm's helmet since their inception in 1990. The Storm's helmet started off as a lighter shade of blue and the "swirl" was originally an "O" with a lightning bolt through the middle. The helmet then changed to silver before moving to its more familiar gold color.

The Storm have yet to receive their new helmets.

"I have yet to see [the new logo] on an actual helmet, but it looks pretty cool," said Robinson. "I just hope we don't get a 'Princess Leia' effect."

Hmm. Cool, hopefully. The equipment manager at my High School used to equipment manage the storm, and he's got one of the old helmets, and, its clearly an Arena Helmet. That's one of the biggest problems with Arena Football. A lot of the jerseys and logos just don't quite look professional, IMO. Maybe this is a step in the right direction.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Hmm. Cool, hopefully. The equipment manager at my High School used to equipment manage the storm, and he's got one of the old helmets, and, its clearly an Arena Helmet. That's one of the biggest problems with Arena Football. A lot of the jerseys and logos just don't quite look professional, IMO. Maybe this is a step in the right direction.

True, but Tampa Bay has been consistently professional looking in its uniforms. Well, since the Zubas era at least. :P

I can't wait to see how these turn out. I think the swirl on the helmet may need to be altered a little to make them more visible but with the swirl already on the sleeves I'm sure folks will warm up to these. I actually prefer the old style Storm wordmark though

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Sounds like it should be an upgrade. Last season, the Storm started wearing the O/Swirl on its own as a sleeve logo, and it looked great. The Storm's unis have always been ultra-sharp since the shift to navy and gold, and they were one of the few teams to improve their look last year in the changeover to Russell.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was the Equipment Manager there in 2001. I can tell you that Marcum has direct input on all of the changes to the unis. We unveiled the gold game pants that season. Boy was it a nightmare. Wilson was making out unis then and the pants were made of a different fabric than our whites and it was horrible. I actually tried to convince him to let me use the gold pants with the white jerseys. At first he was hesitant, but then I think that we did when we played Houston at home 'cause we were supposed to be the road team even though we were playing at the Palace.

We used the grey masks then too because it's what Marcum wants. Personally, I like the grey masks although its not in the colorway of the team. At first I hated putting the decals on the helmets, but then after a while I like them. I was to this day the easiest decal that I have had to mount on a helmet.

If anyone has any pics from the '01 season I'd love to see them. I had a lot of fun that season. There are some really great stories from that season.

dodgers-1.png

"I just hope we don't get a 'Princess Leia' effect."

Not the first rule in Graphic Design, but a rule...

If you're concerned about something small like that, don't throw it out there before hand so EVERYONE sees it.

Archived