Colts' podium helmet logo

Joshawaggie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revive the blue pants (for use with the white jersey only), blue facemask, and silver or gray trim around the numbers, and the Colts are as close to perfection as any team with a white helmet can be. All items that have been used in the teams past, so all should be minimally offensive to the purists. However, I would be in favor of a blue helmet. Never cared much for white lids.

The Seahawks don't wear Navy jerseys. And, I certainly wouldn't call the Lions' Honolulu Blue a "basic" Blue.

No, but they do wear navy sleeves on their jerseys.

Hey, enough of you.

Go cheer for your team and hope they make it to the greatest Super Bowl QB match up in history.

I don't want to hear any nit-picking from a Packer fan right about now....you're living a dream. :P

[insanebaltimorebias]They need to update the uniforms so that it has some slight, remote iota of relevance to the state of Indiana & doesn't continue to be a walking tribute to the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown that takes place at Pimlico as chosen by the citizens of Baltimore, MD.[/insanebaltimorebias] :cursing:

Sometimes I wish to Christ we'd named the :censored:ing team the Baltimore Rockfish. Then how stupid would those imposters look?

*sigh*

But yeah, the uniforms are damned near perfect. They even went back to wearing the black cleats to complete the classic look, the bastards.

[insanebaltimorebias]They need to update the uniforms so that it has some slight, remote iota of relevance to the state of Indiana & doesn't continue to be a walking tribute to the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown that takes place at Pimlico as chosen by the citizens of Baltimore, MD.[/insanebaltimorebias] :cursing:

Sometimes I wish to Christ we'd named the :censored:ing team the Baltimore Rockfish. Then how stupid would those imposters look?

*sigh*

But yeah, the uniforms are damned near perfect. They even went back to wearing the black cleats to complete the classic look, the bastards.

Y'know, I'm a huge sports fan and pretty good at little nerdy facts (like the ones that help you win at Jeopardy)

But I never put the whole Pimlico/Baltimore Colts thing together.

Silly me, because its really obvious the more I think of it.

I don't know if that is new, but I wouldn't read too much into it. When I was about 5, I had a pair of Baltimore Colts Super Bowl Champions pajamas (yeah, I'm that old) that had a picture of a blue helmet. Needless to say, the real helmet hasn't changed in the interim.

Well Lep, you know how accurate those 70's era Sears PJ's were. But you are right though, I still have beer glasses in the same style, with a blue helmet.

Or are you really old and had PJ's with the blue helmet with the horse shoes on the back? :D

I'm not nearly that old. Plus, the "Super Bowl Champions" part should give you a clue that it was after the "horseshoes on the back" era. :P

As for glassware, my set of Baltimore Colts tumblers is one-color print in white on smoked glass with a one-bar facemask. I wish I still had the team helmet tray that came with the glasses when my dad collected them. They're cool, but not nearly as cool as the mugs with newspaper front pages printed on them (including a picture of Jim O'Brien jumping for joy). They're also not nearly as cool as my Baltimore Orioles 1966 World Series glasses.

Why? The Colts are pretty much the only NFL team left that can safely say their uniform is largely untouched since the 60s. It's beyond cool to know that Johnny Unitas wore pretty much the same get-up as Peyton Manning.

Funny, I don't recall seeing any pictures of Johnny Unitas wearing a jersey that had truncated stripes perched awkwardly on top of his shoulders. That alone is reason enough for me to want the Colts to update their look.

Agreed about the awkward truncated stripes. I HATE those things. However, my hatred isn't strong enough to suggest that they should update the uniforms. In particular, NO BLUE PANTS, EVER!!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Seahawks don't wear Navy jerseys. And, I certainly wouldn't call the Lions' Honolulu Blue a "basic" Blue.

No, but they do wear navy sleeves on their jerseys.

Hey, enough of you.

Go cheer for your team and hope they make it to the greatest Super Bowl QB match up in history.

I don't want to hear any nit-picking from a Packer fan right about now....you're living a dream. :P

Multitasking. :P

Seriously, I have to post here to keep my nerves steady.

Heh heh heh... even when I was typing that, I was like... "Wait, are the Seahawks jerseys NAVY? I should probably not get that wrong. Oh, it's far too late to look that up, I'll just go with Navy and I'm sure I won't look like an idiot". Thanks for the correction, they're very clearly NOT navy.

But as for the Lions... I simply said basic blue cause I felt they were closer to the Bill's blue than say the Panther's blue. That's why I stuck it in that group.

I think I'm going to start a thread that displays all of the unique NFL colors...just so we all won't to speculate. How does that sound?

And, I'll have to do it tonight...I have a new consulting gig that is taking up all of my time...no email access, and very limited internet access. I'm going through withdrawls...

Agreed about the awkward truncated stripes. I HATE those things. However, my hatred isn't strong enough to suggest that they should update the uniforms. In particular, NO BLUE PANTS, EVER!!!!!

You would think that Reebok (or Rypon or whomever actually makes the on-field uniforms) would figure out a way to make traditional shoulder stripes fit into the modern jersey cut. Don't come after me with torches and pitchforks for even mentioning this, but maybe as the sleeves continue to disappear the Colts should move the stripe down a bit (kind of like what the Chargers new design does) and move the TV numbers to the shoulders. That would make the stripes appear to be full-sized, or at least the truncation wouldn't be so noticeable.

You would think that Reebok (or Rypon or whomever actually makes the on-field uniforms) would figure out a way to make traditional shoulder stripes fit into the modern jersey cut. Don't come after me with torches and pitchforks for even mentioning this, but maybe as the sleeves continue to disappear the Colts should move the stripe down a bit (kind of like what the Chargers new design does) and move the TV numbers to the shoulders. That would make the stripes appear to be full-sized, or at least the truncation wouldn't be so noticeable.

I've always thought they should look to the Carolina Panthers. This picture appears to be pretty recent (at least within the Colts' epaulet era) and the shoulder loop somehow manages to go all the way around.

_39500383_smith_300.jpg

Emulating the Panthers' look may require moving the TV numbers to the shoulders, as you mentioned. However, at least the stripes would look right.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I've always thought they should look to the Carolina Panthers. This picture appears to be pretty recent (at least within the Colts' epaulet era) and the shoulder loop somehow manages to go all the way around.

_39500383_smith_300.jpg

Emulating the Panthers' look may require moving the TV numbers to the shoulders, as you mentioned. However, at least the stripes would look right.

The Colts used to use the same cut of jersey as the Panthers; unfortunately about 4 years ago they switched all of their jerseys to a snugger cut that has kind of a "batwing" side panel. Since that switch was made, the stripes have been truncated; you can see the angle of the cut stripes follow the wing-like side panel. If you hunt around for photos of Panther linemen, you will see they also have truncated shoulder stripes to fit the tigher cut. However, most of the Panther's receivers, quarterbacks, kickers, etc. still use the "old-style" full cut. You can see the same thing with the Rams - some have the full cut with full stripes, some have truncated stripes.

I'm pretty sure that if the Colts really wanted to have the shoulder stripes go all the way around, they'd find a way to do it. I just think this is an example of trying to update the cut/design of the uniform to make it different without looking too different. IOW, a just change just to have a change.

I'm pretty sure that if the Colts really wanted to have the shoulder stripes go all the way around, they'd find a way to do it. I just think this is an example of trying to update the cut/design of the uniform to make it different without looking too different. IOW, a just change just to have a change.

You're probably right -- there must be a way to make it work. However, I don't think that means this is an example of a "change just to have a change." The Colts have been all about going back to the "true" Colts uniform lately (grey facemasks, darker blue, black shoes), so I doubt they would try to update the uniform to get away from the "true" look. I think this is just laziness in not addressing a pretty glaring flaw in their efforts to be traditional.

The Colts seem to have a vested interest in preserving their uniform heritage (sock stripes aside).

Yeah, except for when they decided to sport those horrid blue pants during the Harbaugh era.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/119499...ab61f2c9b_o.jpg

Those were awful. I hope they never decide to "throwback" to that era ever again. Man, I'm also glad they got rid of the blue facemask. Just a bad idea.

Ok, I'll admit I'm one of maybe..... oh, 5 fans out there that actually liked the blue pants. (yes, I know GASP!)

I'm with you - I loved the blue pants look.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Don't look for any Colts changes anytime soon - especially after they won the Super Bowl last year. As for the blue pants - dead and buried. I produced the radio broadcasts for the Colts in 1995 and the story I heard was that they never went to NFL Properties for approval of the "uniform change". The league office banned the blue pants, but nobody at the Colts was complaining because they tended to lose games in them. Once they ditched the blue pants, they started winning and eventually made it to the AFC Championship Game. The blue pants are still looked upon with ridicule.

Archived