Behind the Patriots logo

DrBear

Well I just saw a piece on the local LA cbs or abc news and both Evenson and Loh aren't upset with how much they got payed and are actually quite proud they did the logo. I hope I can find the piece and prove that they didn't have a problem with how much they got payed.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill Plaschke writes about the logo's designer, Evenson Design Group.

I don't get why so many people don't like the Flying Elvis. I liked the old logo but thought it a bit cumbersome/busy for a helmet. What kind of logo would people like to see rather than the current one? I don't mean people need to create a new one but would your idea of a good patriots logo be that different than the Flying Elvis? It's a Patriot, it's red white and blue, it's in profile which so many of you say is crucial, and it's not the banana slug.897.gif

896.gif

Has anyone on these boards ever given ol' Pat a makeover in the flying Elvis style. What I mean is simplified Pat with sharper lines and a more simple design. I think it would be comareable to how the Hamilton Ti-Cats of the CFL redesigned thire logo a few seasons back. I'd love to see an updated Pat Patriot.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

This whole time I figured a blind monkey designed that thing. It's a bad logo in my opinion because when you look at it, you say what the hell is that thing? At least with Pat Patriot, you can get an idea of what it represents. I know alot of people on here don't like it because it's too detailed, but for me that is what makes it good. Too many logos now are too simple and not detailed enough.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it. The story would be better if the logo was better; IMO it looks like what it is, something doodled by a college intern. And what's with the whining over what they were paid? They're valuing the work in hindsight. The designers accepted the terms at the time. If they didn't have the vision to negotiate more favorable terms in the event the logo was the one chosen, that's not the Patriots' fault.

I'm not being harsh here, that's just how I see it.

The logo has another distinction...Curtis Martin is in a dome here, but when outside, it was the first jersey logo to be visible from space. :D

4martin126.jpg

That is..without a doubt..the UGLIEST uniform ever worn in a Super Bowl

The Packers' uni's aren't great, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're the 'UGLIEST uniform ever worn in a Super Bowl.'

On the other hand, those Patriots uniforms were pretty sweet.

no no..not the packers uniforms..those new england uniforms are heinous....they would embarrass a usfl team

Hey... not even the Arizona Wranglers looked as bad as that.

nav-logo.png

Bill Plaschke writes about the logo's designer, Evenson Design Group.

I don't get why so many people don't like the Flying Elvis. I liked the old logo but thought it a bit cumbersome/busy for a helmet. What kind of logo would people like to see rather than the current one? I don't mean people need to create a new one but would your idea of a good patriots logo be that different than the Flying Elvis? It's a Patriot, it's red white and blue, it's in profile which so many of you say is crucial, and it's not the banana slug.897.gif

896.gif

I vaguely recall seeing a stylized version of Pat Patriot on the 50-yard line of the Schaefer/Foxboro Stadium during a highlight clip of the 1976 Patriots. Probably the closest thing to what you're talking about. I'll see if I can dig up an image of it.

Great story!

I still like Pat the Patriot better...when I was a kid I always wanted the Patriots to change the jerseys from red to blue with the hiking P the P on the helmet and all would've been good...LOL It bothered me that a "Patriot" would be wearing British red!

I know this isn't my area of expertise but this thread got me going on the project of modernizing Pat Patriot. Cutting down some of the detail, and making it more streamlined.

patpatriot.png

This is really my first try at something like this and I only had paint to work with, but I like the overall look of it better than the old one. I think if a real professional worked with it, they could make it look really good. I spent forever on that face and that was the best I could do.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Has anyone on these boards ever given ol' Pat a makeover in the flying Elvis style. What I mean is simplified Pat with sharper lines and a more simple design. I think it would be comareable to how the Hamilton Ti-Cats of the CFL redesigned thire logo a few seasons back. I'd love to see an updated Pat Patriot.

Yes, GhettoFarmBoy did a modernized version of Pat Patriot for the CCSLC Final Four:

GhettoFarmBoy's Pat Patriot logo

MegatronSig2.jpg

Someone had brought this photo up before and the question was asked....What is that thing in the star??

That's one of those little Cub Scout pins on his hat, obviously. :P

great post! not much to investigate but i found this neat too... http://www.kenloh.net/

That can't be the same Ken Loh. All his info indicates that he is too young (graduated in 2005) to have been a design intern in the early 1990s. Confirmed. Check the YouTube vid down there. Some great images of proposals, INCLUDING THE ORIG. SKETCH.

It's a bad logo in my opinion because when you look at it, you say what the hell is that thing?...Too many logos now are too simple and not detailed enough.

A. I'm speechless that anyone could possibly not know that it's a face and a colonial-style hat. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that is plain-as-effing-day. B. Do a little research on branding and logo design and you'll learn why that is. Simple, iconic logos are by far the most effective. It's easy to draw something exactly as you see it (Pat Patriot). It's much more difficult to simplify and abstract a form while maintaining the integrity of the original and still have it communicate the same thing.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This whole time I figured a blind monkey designed that thing. It's a bad logo in my opinion because when you look at it, you say what the hell is that thing? At least with Pat Patriot, you can get an idea of what it represents. I know alot of people on here don't like it because it's too detailed, but for me that is what makes it good. Too many logos now are too simple and not detailed enough.

As a graphic designer there's something about that statement "I figured a blind monkey designed that thing" that makes my stomach churn. It reminds me of the time about three years ago when I went early to an Angels-Mariners game and watched Jamie Moyer throw in the bullpen. I'd heard that he threw soft and that he was basically a crafty lefty. I have to say that you at times sit there and think, "I could do that or I could hit that if I had the training." I watched Moyer's session and just watched the movement on the ball and thought, "Hell no could I hit that." It's kind of like the phrase that I quoted about the blind monkey which makes start to fume and wonder, "What have you done? Do you have a portfolio with some decent work in it? Not great just decent." As you can tell it irks me, and I will defend the graphic designer. Does it mean that only graphic designers and artists can critique others work? No, but a blind monkey couldn't do that and I wonder if half the people on this board could even draw a friggin decent stick figure. It just happened to touch a nerve.

Oh by the way here's the piece that was on KABC 7 in Los Angeles:

. Tell me if it sounds like anyone's complaining about how much they got paid.

As a graphic designer there's something about that statement "I figured a blind monkey designed that thing" that makes my stomach churn. It reminds me of the time about three years ago when I went early to an Angels-Mariners game and watched Jamie Moyer throw in the bullpen. I'd heard that he threw soft and that he was basically a crafty lefty. I have to say that you at times sit there and think, "I could do that or I could hit that if I had the training." I watched Moyer's session and just watched the movement on the ball and thought, "Hell no could I hit that." It's kind of like the phrase that I quoted about the blind monkey which makes start to fume and wonder, "What have you done? Do you have a portfolio with some decent work in it? Not great just decent." As you can tell it irks me, and I will defend the graphic designer. Does it mean that only graphic designers and artists can critique others work? No, but a blind monkey couldn't do that and I wonder if half the people on this board could even draw a friggin decent stick figure. It just happened to touch a nerve.

Great post & great link. Both those dudes are pretty stand-up guys from the looks of it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think you took that a little too literal, but I didn't mean to offend you. My opinion is that it's a bad design. And no I'm not a graphic designer, but I could definitely draw a more than decent stick figure thank you. Just because someone is a graphic designer also doesn't mean their opinion counts more than anyone else because they have a portfolio.

Archived