Tyree's Catch

You Got Zung

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It already has a name...

"The single greatest play in Super Bowl History".

Granted, it's kinda long, but from Eli's Houdini escape tp Tyree's catch... i've never seen anything better, and i challenge anyone to find something better.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I called it the Immaculate Reception II...

How dare you? The Eli-Tyree play wasn't even close to the 4th down, last play, game-winning, all odds-defying, Raider-beating, controversy-stirring bounce of destiny that occurred that day at Three Rivers!

Don't worry, that's mock indignation...but in essence it's how I feel. The Immaculate Reception has to be the single most unique play in NFL history. The Eli-Tyree play was huge and amazing, but it's still a notch or two below the IR.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

How dare you? The Eli-Tyree play wasn't even close to the 4th down, last play, game-winning, all odds-defying, Raider-beating, controversy-stirring bounce of destiny that occurred that day at Three Rivers!

Don't worry, that's mock indignation...but in essence it's how I feel. The Immaculate Reception has to be the single most unique play in NFL history. The Eli-Tyree play was huge and amazing, but it's still a notch or two below the IR.

You gotta remember...some of us weren't alive to see that play in person. :P

And it sucks that only one camera angle exists of that play. I'd love to see how that broke down for real...straight through. (What happened to the game broadcast tape of that, anyway??? You'd think NFL Films would still have that somewhere.) As I understand it, it was never clear whether the ball hit Fuqua first, which as I understand (by rule at the time) would have meant that no other offensive player could advance the ball; or if the ball hit off Tatum first, meaning the play would have been perfectly legal. Regardless, it happened, and if nothing else, THAT is what Franco Harris is, and will forever be known for...just as David Tyree will be known for gluing the ball to his head and several fingertips. (And can't nobody really accuse him of having glue on his helmet...I think we've all seen just how many helmet issues the Giants have had this year, what with decals, paint chips, and everything else breaking off them thangs. ^_^ )

All I know is...this year, I've seen some of the best plays I've seen in my nearly 26 years of living. Before that Tyree grab, I thought I wouldn't see anything top that grab that Braylon Edwards somehow made spinning backwards in that game against the Rams.

One of, if not the greatest SUPER BOWL plays of all time, that "great escape" by Eli and headglue catch by Tyree.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And it sucks that only one camera angle exists of that play. I'd love to see how that broke down for real...straight through. (What happened to the game broadcast tape of that, anyway??? You'd think NFL Films would still have that somewhere.) As I understand it, it was never clear whether the ball hit Fuqua first, which as I understand (by rule at the time) would have meant that no other offensive player could advance the ball; or if the ball hit off Tatum first, meaning the play would have been perfectly legal. Regardless, it happened, and if nothing else, THAT is what Franco Harris is, and will forever be known for...just as David Tyree will be known for gluing the ball to his head and several fingertips. (And can't nobody really accuse him of having glue on his helmet...I think we've all seen just how many helmet issues the Giants have had this year, what with decals, paint chips, and everything else breaking off them thangs. ^_^ )

All I know is...this year, I've seen some of the best plays I've seen in my nearly 26 years of living. Before that Tyree grab, I thought I wouldn't see anything top that grab that Braylon Edwards somehow made spinning backwards in that game against the Rams.

One of, if not the greatest SUPER BOWL plays of all time, that "great escape" by Eli and headglue catch by Tyree.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Archived