Official 2008 NBA All-Star Weekend Thread

ShinyHubCaps

Well, it's that time of year that sportswriters across America seem to dread: the onslaught of All-Star games. The NBA All-Star Weekend, for some, is more exciting than the Pro Bowl and just as aimless. However, I am a basketball fan and I look forward to this weekend every year.

Now, I know that there isn't a strong contingency of NBA fans here, so there are two options for this thread:

1.) Discussion

2.) Betting on your favorites

So here we go. It should be noted that there are more events than listed, including a D-League game of H-O-R-S-E streaming on the D-League site; however, here are the ones that are somewhat worth noting.

EVENTS:

Friday:

-NBA Celebrity Game (ESPN)

-T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam (TNT) (Rosters here.)

Saturday:

-PlayStation Skills Challenge (TNT) (Participants here.)

-Haier Shooting Stars (TNT)

-Foot Locker Three Point Shootout (TNT) (Participants here.)

-Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk Contest (TNT) (Participants here.)

Sunday:

-57th NBA All-Star Game (TNT) (Rosters here.)

FOR THE BETTING FORM, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE:

Place a number from 1-7 before each event listed. That number will be how many "points" can be wagered on an event. Each number can be used only once. Put the number 7 next to your most confident pick, the number 1 next to your least confident pick, and fill in all spots in between.

BETTING FORM (copy into your reply to be eligible for the betting game):

__. Rookies v. Sophomores:

__. Rookie Challenge MVP:

__. Skills Challenge Winner:

__. Three Point Shootout Winner:

__. Dunk Contest Winner:

__. East vs. West:

__. All-Star MVP:

Tune in tonight at 8:30 E./7:30 C. and enjoy the game! Get your bets in as soon as possible, and there may just be a prize for the winner!

7. Rookies v. Sophomores: Sophomores

1. Rookie Challenge MVP: Rudy Gay

5. Skills Challenge Winner: Deron Williams

3. Three Point Shootout Winner: Peja Stojakovic

4. Dunk Contest Winner: Dwight Howard

6. East vs. West: West

2. All-Star MVP: Carmelo Anthony

If I get any of these right, I'll do a jig that none of you will see.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

7. Rookies v. Sophomores: Sophomores

1. Rookie Challenge MVP: Brandon Roy

5. Skills Challenge Winner: Chris Paul

3. Three Point Shootout Winner: Peja Stojakovic

4. Dunk Contest Winner: Dwight Howard

6. East vs. West: East

2. All-Star MVP: Wade (Miami needs somethin positive this year)

Not a lot of activity here, so we can extend this but remove the past events (so only 5 left)...

Anyway, the Rookies vs. Sophomores was better than expected, but the Sophomores win again. Kenny Smith predicted 53 dunks, and I think there were 44... everyone got playing time, and everyone scored. Wow Gibson was on fire, making 33 points on threes (and nothing anywhere else).

2 . Skills Challenge Winner: Deron Williams

3 . Three Point Shootout Winner: Daniel Gibson

5 . Dunk Contest Winner: Jamario Moon

4 . East vs. West: West

1 . All-Star MVP: Yao Ming

4. Skills Challenge Winner: Chris Paul

2. Three Point Shootout Winner: Jason Kapono

3. Dunk Contest Winner: Jamario Moon

5. East vs. West: West

1. All-Star MVP: Steve Nash

And just for fun, I'll say Chicago wins the shooting stars competition for no reason other than the Bulls are my favorite team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Superman tore his suit. That was amazing.

"Birthday Cake" was sweet.

If the NBA could make the games as entertaining as this is, I'd be more interested.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The voting for the slam dunks were very inconsistent. Otherwise, it was great. Very interesting, thats for sure.

But man, the commentating was great. The 5 minute argument over the word "tittie" was just pure fun.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

That Superman dunk was great.

That one was :censored: great. He didn't just dunk it... he THREW it into the basket.

nba_g_dhoward_412B.jpg

Dwight Howard stole the show with the cape.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane......if Nate Robinson killed the dunk contest in the bad way, Dwight Howard killed it in the good way. i can truly say I never saw nobody do what he did tonight...til he did it. shoot, the one where he threw it off the backboard, then hit it, THEN dunked it, that was crazy. don't get me started on the superman...

Gerald Green, he probably woulda...eh, actually the only way he woulda won is if he lined up and dunked over 6 cheerleaders, dunked on a 15 foot rim, bungee jumped off the jumbotron or something like that. still, his shoeless dunk woulda been more impressive if the dunk was different from the one he'd just done.

and no midgets failing at a dunk 20 times in the second round before making it this time neither :ninja:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That was one of the greatest slam dunk contests I've ever seen. Almost every dunk had some kind of originality and creativity to it. Plus TNT's announcing team with Barkley on it was priceless. They should have Charles broadcast more games in addition to his studio work on the halftime and postgame shows.

Its funny, Howard said he loved the song 'Crank That' by Soulja Boy, but the song appearently has nothing to do with the actual character (even though it was funny seeing him find a costume that would in a way fit!!). It is actually about a "sexual" move that involves a girl passed out on her stomach, a man expelling a bodily fluid on their back, and pulling up a sheet over that spot so it "sticks" to it, hence you are wearing a cape.

My friend told me this, and I laughed very hard and felt very dirty at the same time. Take it for what its worth, I thought i'd pass along this fun piece of info.

Fun times all around!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The slam dunk was interesting, but the voting was horrible. It seems like if you had a gimmick but an OK dunk, you can score high. I.e. the birthday cake, I mean in all honesty, anyone can do that dunk, and the degree of difficulty wasn't that high, but yet Green scored good on that dunk. Moon had a pretty sweet first dunk.

Kapono killed the 3point shootout. Owned the field.

This just in

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...rade/index.html

Does that mean Kidd has to play for the West now? ^_^

It would be funny if they traded him over mid-game.

I thought that the Gerald Green dunk (Rd 1 Dunk 1) "The Birthday Cake" was more than a gimmick. His head was above the rim, and obviously his concentration on doing a flashy dunk (i.e. 360, windmill, etc.) is diverted because he was focusing on blowing out that candle. What I liked most about it was the risk: if he missed the blow, he would have looked like a complete idiot.

I am now looking through photos of last night's affair for the backboard camera on the Superman dunk. That was pretty crazy, but Howard just dominated on every one.

And kudos to Deron Williams for setting a Skills Challenge record (over 6 years: 25.5 seconds) and Jason Kapono for tying the 3-Point Shootout record (over 22 years: 25/30 Points).

Archived