Miami Marlins in 2011

njmeadowlanders

What the fans never seemed to realize was that the so-called "fire sales" kept them competitive. So all the whinging was mis-placed. Sell all my favorite players if it gets us a World Championship.

The fans better show that the ballpark was the reason they didn't ever go to games, because the attendance was beyond pathetic even when they had the best team in baseball.

you can put a brand new state of the art facility out there and they will only draw minimal crowds in a championship season. Theres a minimal at best interest in baseball in florida, period. you have your die hards, but even a championship season isn't going to draw max crowds, mainly because there is no interest or demand for baseball there.

That's my fear.

But we'll see. Apparently the TV ratings are decent. But if they stay in the bottom three in attendance even after the new park, then Florida baseball will have been nothing less than a complete failure.

I'm willing to go on faith that Miami will come through. But I admit that might be wishful thinking.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But we'll see. Apparently the TV ratings are decent. But if they stay in the bottom three in attendance even after the new park, then Florida baseball will have been nothing less than a complete failure.

I'm willing to go on faith that Miami will come through. But I admit that might be wishful thinking.

As a fellow wishful-thinking Miami-skeptic, I think the experiment is worth making now. If it works, then it's good for baseball to increase its "footprint" in south Florida. And if it doesn't work, a 30-year stadium lease that expires in 2042 will be perfect timing for post-communist Cuba to have recovered economically sufficiently to bid for relocation to Havana. So, in the long run, it's a win-win proposition.

20082614447.png

It sees a little silly to build a stadium in the hopes that people will of a sudden show up, doesn't it? Doesn't the Miami area already have relatively new hockey and basketball stadiums? The Heat just won the NBA championship with two of the league's top ten most marketable players, and if I recall correctly, they didn't sell out all of the playoff games. This is the city in which you want to invest hundreds of million dollars more?

There's no Constitutional right to a baseball team in your city, just as there's no law saying MLB needs to have 30 teams. If baseball isn't working in Miami -- and two championships aside, it's not -- then maybe it's time to just call the experiment a failure and move on.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not sure if its been mentioned, but they ALREADY have an 'M' logo that they've had for quite some time now. Don't know if it was an early logo before they officially decided to go with the 'Florida' moniker as opposed to the 'Miami' name...but it exists. To be quite honest, it looks pretty good and I'd bet they'll work off of it.

Also don't know if it was mentioned, but part of getting the stadium deal with the city of Miami or surrounding suburbs was the condition that the team would change to the: Miami Marlins. so its pretty much a done deal now....thankfully. I've never been too keen on baseball in FLA, but I wouldn't like seeing the Marlins move. Relocation annoys the crap out of me, unless of course it makes sense.....though I can't remember an instance of relocation in baseball in the past 'X' number of years that I've actually liked.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but they ALREADY have an 'M' logo that they've had for quite some time now. Don't know if it was an early logo before they officially decided to go with the 'Florida' moniker as opposed to the 'Miami' name...but it exists. To be quite honest, it looks pretty good and I'd bet they'll work off of it.

Yeah, that's the one that was posted earlier in the thread:

This set has previously been attributed to Mark Anthony.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

It's from their BP cap a couple years back. He just changed the colors.

Personally, I don't really love it - I'd rather see an "M" with both feet on the floor, as it were. A better transition from the current "F" logo. And without the swash underneath it, the curves on the M make it seem unbalanced.

EDIT: should've checked the main site: here's the logo as it originally appeared on the BP caps.

I agree with you on having the 'M' with both 'feet' to the ground. It give the fish an anchor to sit on.

Overall, I think it can and will work if they make that change. I've always loved the Marlin logos. They were able to create a really nice logo set and wordmarking that instantly looked like it belonged to a major league team....as opposed to the cross state (Devil) Rays who could never really get it right.

Agreed on that - the Marlins came right out of the gate with a truly professional set of logos and uniforms. On Opening Day, they had one of the best looks in the majors.

Unfortunately, the club has spent the last fifteen years chipping away at that, slowly ruining its great look one "improvement" at a time.

I've always loved the Marlin logos. They were able to create a really nice logo set and wordmarking that instantly looked like it belonged to a major league team...
Agreed on that - the Marlins came right out of the gate with a truly professional set of logos and uniforms. On Opening Day, they had one of the best looks in the majors.

Courtesy of the oft-maligned Phoenix Design Works.

I've always loved the Marlin logos. They were able to create a really nice logo set and wordmarking that instantly looked like it belonged to a major league team...

Courtesy of the oft-maligned Phoenix Design Works.

One good piece of work doesn't give them a free pass over the rest of the crap they've produced.

and if I recall correctly, they didn't sell out all of the playoff games.

You don't recall correctly...the Heat sold out all playoff games from 2004 (year one of Wade) thru 2006 (championship).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

True Enough.

Although, every now and then they deserve to be maligned.

I see they also did the Rockies logos...which I absolutely love...

And speaking of not selling out playoff games...I was in West Palm Beach during the AFC Wild Card weekend a few years ago.

I couldn't watch the game.

Why?

They didn't sell it out! An NFL Playoff game...did NOT sell out...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

One good piece of work doesn't give them a free pass over the rest of the crap they've produced.

To each there own. While Phoenix Design Works is certainly as capable of producing the occasional less-than-stellar logo package as any other graphic design/branding firm out there, I honestly don't think that they're overall body of work is anywhere near as bad as some members of this community make it out to be. Bottom line? Their portfolio isn't composed of "one good piece of work" on behalf of the Marlins and nothing but "crap" for the rest of their clients. That's far too simplistic - and erroneous - a claim.

Although the consensus seems to be a longing for more teal, that seems highly unlikely based on what ownership has stated in the past and the direction they've moved since taking over.

If in fact the Marlins' future is orange, black and silver, I hope they retain their logo set or something very close to it, because I agree that it's been a professional look from the start. Of course an "M" will need to be incorporated, hopefully in a way similar to what they've used in the past.

Unfortunately, the club has spent the last fifteen years chipping away at that, slowly ruining its great look one "improvement" at a time.

It just hit me that the Marlins logo and Dolphins logo look kinda alike. Both have fish jumping through some sort of circle . Forgive me if this has been discussed.(I'm sure it has)

2qluyo7.png

True Enough.

Although, every now and then they deserve to be maligned.

I see they also did the Rockies logos...which I absolutely love...

You know I never really liked the Rockies logo, or anything else about the team's uniforms, hats, wordmarks, etc.

Just never did it for me. I love the mountain design they used in the logo, but I just thought they never pushed it further. They could have used it more in some way as opposed to emphasising the overly bland fonts and wordmarks they ended up using.

Archived