Miami Marlins in 2011

njmeadowlanders

Why wait--just change the name now to the Miami Marlins of Miami Gardens....Can't get any more stupid then Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Can we all stop with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim jokes now? Aren't they like, two or three years old? Does anyone still find this crap funny?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what they do, I will only wear what I already own of the Marlins which includes these styles (and I encourage everyone to do the same!):

hat-138.jpg

marlins-fitted-all-teal.jpg

florida.gif

6370058p118136reg.jpg

08b.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

No matter what they do, I will only wear what I already own of the Marlins which includes these styles (and I encourage everyone to do the same!):

I'll allow for "MIAMI" to replace "FLORIDA" and an "M" to replace "F" in the Marlins' logos. Frankly, Miami should have been the place-name all along. Besides that, the caps and unis you featured are what the Marlins should still be wearing.

Interesting. Why?

Because they're the best uniforms the Marlins ever sported.

Interesting. Why?

Because teal is what the Marlins should've kept all along. Also Miami Marlins does not sound as good to me as Florida Marlins. That's just a personal preference though just like I always liked California Angels. I know most people think teams should never name themselves after a state though.

I'll tell you what...if the Marlins come out with something classy that is predominantly teal, I'll consider wearing the new gear. If it's black and orange...forget it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Also remember...it's not like the Rays were there and THEN they were named the Florida Marlins. They were the ONLY team in Florida at the time.

How come I don't ever see complaining about:

the ARIZONA Diamondbacks

the COLORADO Rockies

the MINNESOTA Twins

the NEW YORK Yankees (OK, that one was a joke--it's obviously NYC not NY State...)

the TEXAS Rangers

yet the Marlins--named 4 years before Tampa was awarded a franchise--gets all this crap about that?

In the words of Michael Bolton (the one from Office Space)--Why should I change? He's the one who sucks...

That's how I feel about the Marlins. Just because the Rays came along doesn't mean they should have to change.

And of course I could go onto other sports, but you get the point...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

marlins-fitted-all-teal.jpg

I love this hat, and think they should bring it back. If MLB Shop had it as a Cooperstown hat I'd definitely buy it (except I'm not sure it is really classic as its not very old nor did they win a World Series with it).

How come I don't ever see complaining about:

the ARIZONA Diamondbacks

the COLORADO Rockies

the MINNESOTA Twins

the NEW YORK Yankees (OK, that one was a joke--it's obviously NYC not NY State...)

the TEXAS Rangers

Personally I've always would have perfered those teams to be named after cities than states. I just think it sounds a little better and gives you a better feeling of the exact location of the team. With the exception of the Twins as they represent two cities and Minneapolis-St Paul Twins would be a mouthful.

Personally I've always would have perfered those teams to be named after cities than states. I just think it sounds a little better and gives you a better feeling of the exact location of the team. With the exception of the Twins as they represent two cities and Minneapolis-St Paul Twins would be a mouthful.

The same logic would have to apply to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Rangers and the Tampa-St. Petersburg Rays as well.

The Rays have the good fortune that Tampa Bay can be used to stand for the twin cities the team represents. The Rangers have no such elegant solution. So Texas, while a bit of a stretch, is the next-best option for the team to avoid excluding an important part of its metropolitan area. No one would want the "Metroplex Rangers," right? And the team is named after the Texas Rangers. Plus, Houston kind of ain't like the rest of Texas. Sort of like how Miami isn't really like the rest of Florida. So a Houston team and a Texas team makes a certain sort of sense. So the Texas Rangers are kind of a special case.

I'm enthused about the Marlins name because Miami is a city with a world-class civic character, and it deserves to have its baseball team wear the city name. And also because the rest of the state deserves not to be defined by Miami.

20082614447.png

Why wait--just change the name now to the Miami Marlins of Miami Gardens....Can't get any more stupid then Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Then tell the City of Anaheim to drop their nonsense - that's the only reason Moreno needs to use the awkward name.

I think we should tell Moreno to get a clue because his ballpark is 40 miles away from Los Angeles. The Angels signed a contract with the city because Anaheim payed millions and millions of dollars to practically build them a new park. Anaheim held up their part of the bargain, and so should the Angels. It doesn't matter if there was a different owner at the time. Moreno doesn't have to keep that ridiculous charade up - he could just call them the Anaheim Angels.

As for the topic at hand, I never really minded teams using the state name. I think Florida Marlins sounds much better than Miami Marlins, but I won't mind the change if it spells the end of their time at Joe Robbie. I would love to see more aqua in the uniforms, but they have it ass backwards. As others have said, they fully intend on completely removing the aqua and making their colors black and orange.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Then tell the City of Anaheim to drop their nonsense - that's the only reason Moreno needs to use the awkward name.

I think we should tell Moreno to get a clue because his ballpark is 40 miles away from Los Angeles. The Angels signed a contract with the city because Anaheim payed millions and millions of dollars to practically build them a new park. Anaheim held up their part of the bargain, and so should the Angels. It doesn't matter if there was a different owner at the time. Moreno doesn't have to keep that ridiculous charade up - he could just call them the Anaheim Angels.

As for the topic at hand, I never really minded teams using the state name. I think Florida Marlins sounds much better than Miami Marlins, but I won't mind the change if it spells the end of their time at Joe Robbie. I would love to see more aqua in the uniforms, but they have it ass backwards. As others have said, they fully intend on completely removing the aqua and making their colors black and orange.

Yeah but in the case of the Angels. Don't forget that there was another team that played there, the "Los Angeles Rams", no one seems to have a problem when the stadium was first built and that it was 40 miles away. Either way, Miami Marlins is not bad and they should change the name for next season.

Good point on the Rams.

Anaheim is suburban Los Angeles. They don't like to admit it, but facts are facts.

The City of Anaheim signed a bad contract, with a major loophole. One of their lawyers realized this after it was signed and asked Disney to renegotiate. Disney refused. So the city knew that this was coming.

The Rays have the good fortune that Tampa Bay can be used to stand for the twin cities the team represents. The Rangers have no such elegant solution. So Texas, while a bit of a stretch, is the next-best option for the team to avoid excluding an important part of its metropolitan area. No one would want the "Metroplex Rangers," right? And the team is named after the Texas Rangers. Plus, Houston kind of ain't like the rest of Texas. Sort of like how Miami isn't really like the rest of Florida. So a Houston team and a Texas team makes a certain sort of sense. So the Texas Rangers are kind of a special case.

I'm enthused about the Marlins name because Miami is a city with a world-class civic character, and it deserves to have its baseball team wear the city name. And also because the rest of the state deserves not to be defined by Miami.

Once again, BallWonk says it all.

This is excellent news. But...
Good for them...hopefully they'll be more competitve now...

More competitive? Two World Championships in fifteen years isn't competitive?

What we really need to see now is if the fans will finally come out. I've long believed that this could be a great baseball market, but they've not yet shown it to be. A World Series couldn't get them interested, let's hope a new stadium will.

That will work in the short run, but 4-5 yrs after it opens, will it still draw fans?

If ownership maintains payroll and a competitive team, the fans will stay. The "fire sale" days should long past them and they should be able to maintain a 60-70 million payroll without thinking twice. If not, the fans will disappear for good this time because there can be no more excuses.

Jeffrey Loria maintain a competitive team? LOL, I love your bright-eyed optimism, sir.

What the fans never seemed to realize was that the so-called "fire sales" kept them competitive. So all the whinging was mis-placed. Sell all my favorite players if it gets us a World Championship.

The fans better show that the ballpark was the reason they didn't ever go to games, because the attendance was beyond pathetic even when they had the best team in baseball.

The same logic would have to apply to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Rangers and the Tampa-St. Petersburg Rays as well.

I don't see how calling the Texas Rangers the Arlington Rangers would exlude fans in the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas. They play in the city of Arlington, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Calling them the Dallas/Fort Worth Rangers and the Metroplex Rangers would be silly. Its a well established fact they play in arlington, so calling them the arlington rangers wouldn't alienate fans in Fort Worth or Dallas. i personally rather call them the Texas Rangers for historical purposes.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

What the fans never seemed to realize was that the so-called "fire sales" kept them competitive. So all the whinging was mis-placed. Sell all my favorite players if it gets us a World Championship.

The fans better show that the ballpark was the reason they didn't ever go to games, because the attendance was beyond pathetic even when they had the best team in baseball.

you can put a brand new state of the art facility out there and they will only draw minimal crowds in a championship season. Theres a minimal at best interest in baseball in florida, period. you have your die hards, but even a championship season isn't going to draw max crowds, mainly because there is no interest or demand for baseball there.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived