Miami Marlins in 2011

njmeadowlanders

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/custom/...0,3695788.story

The Marlins, Miami-Dade County, the city of Miami and Major League Baseball reached agreement late Friday to finance a $515 million ballpark at the site of the Orange Bowl, according to a source.

The agreement was not released but was expected to be distributed to county and city commissioners, who will need to approve it. The city has scheduled a special commission meeting to consider the deal at 9 a.m. Thursday; the county commission is to meet at 1 p.m. that day.

The deal calls for the county and city to contribute $360 million mainly in tourist taxes and a $50 million general obligation bond voters approved in 2004 to renovate the Orange Bowl, but which will instead go to the ballpark. The Marlins are to contribute $155 million.

The team hopes to break ground by year's end with the stadium opening by April 2011, when the team would be renamed the Miami Marlins.

Good for them...hopefully they'll be more competitve now...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if we'll see an identity change to coincide with the name change in 2011? Not that I don't like what they have now, it's just that with a new stadium, a new beginning could then begin.

I'd like to see them go back to using Teal or some type of green alot more. They'll probably make some kind of change anyway. The current logo has an F , so they'll at least have to change it to an M. Although I'd personally rather see them change to something slightly different.

Wonder if we'll see an identity change to coincide with the name change in 2011? Not that I don't like what they have now, it's just that with a new stadium, a new beginning could then begin.

Look for more orange.

Good get rid of the black, Marlins should have the Dolphins color scheme.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is excellent news. But...

More competitive? Two World Championships in fifteen years isn't competitive?

What we really need to see now is if the fans will finally come out. I've long believed that this could be a great baseball market, but they've not yet shown it to be. A World Series couldn't get them interested, let's hope a new stadium will.

What we really need to see now is if the fans will finally come out. I've long believed that this could be a great baseball market, but they've not yet shown it to be. A World Series couldn't get them interested, let's hope a new stadium will.

That will work in the short run, but 4-5 yrs after it opens, will it still draw fans?

metslogo_215.gif

Why wait--just change the name now to the Miami Marlins of Miami Gardens....Can't get any more stupid then Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

It must get boring beating that horse so hard after it's already dead, no?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I say let's move the team to the AL and make them the Miami Gators in time for the 2015 World Series against the Cubbies.

I'm going to bet every dime I have on the outcome of that series.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That will work in the short run, but 4-5 yrs after it opens, will it still draw fans?

If ownership maintains payroll and a competitive team, the fans will stay. The "fire sale" days should long past them and they should be able to maintain a 60-70 million payroll without thinking twice. If not, the fans will disappear for good this time because there can be no more excuses.

If ownership maintains payroll and a competitive team, the fans will stay. The "fire sale" days should long past them and they should be able to maintain a 60-70 million payroll without thinking twice. If not, the fans will disappear for good this time because there can be no more excuses.

More like $85-95 million.

South Florida isn't a small market. It is an upper mid-market.

1997 | 2003

I'm surprised nobody's posted that wonderful Miami Marlins set someone here came up with yet...

I'm really hoping they do something like that...

I'm also really hoping they keep the club logo in tact, obviously changing FLORIDA to MIAMI...It's the last of the good sports logos...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Pathetic! This city does not deserve a Major League Baseball team, let alone the other three major sports...Just look at there attendance figures for all there teams,its brutal. Miami is not a sports town!

You, are an (MOD EDIT - Let's refrain from personal attacks when making our points.), or uninformed, or both.

Marlins - World Series champs (2) - 1997, 2003

Dolphins - Super Bowl winners (2) - VII & VIII / Other appearances (3) - VI, XVII & XIX

Heat - NBA Champions (1) - 2006

Panthers - Stanley Cup Finals (1) - 1996

U of Miami football - NCAA Football champions (5) - 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991 & 2001

Archived