Miami Marlins in 2011

njmeadowlanders

Pathetic! This city does not deserve a Major League Baseball team, let alone the other three major sports...Just look at there attendance figures for all there teams,its brutal. Miami is not a sports town!

You, (MOD EDIT - Let's refrain from personal attacks when making our points.), or uninformed, or both.

Marlins - World Series champs (2) - 1997, 2003

Dolphins - Super Bowl winners (2) - VII & VIII / Other appearances (3) - VI, XVII & XIX

Heat - NBA Champions (1) - 2006

Panthers - Stanley Cup Finals (1) - 1996

U of Miami football - NCAA Football champions (5) - 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991 & 2001

You sir are the (MOD EDIT - Ditto, with regard to the personal attacks.), he said nothing about the teams being good there. Just that the locals don't support the teams. I mean when the Heat won the NBA Championship they're playoff run had empty seats every game it seemed like.

But back on topic I love the current Marlins duds, I think they are one of the best in the bigs. Just change the F to an M on the cap and Miami on the away and I think its golden.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pathetic! This city does not deserve a Major League Baseball team, let alone the other three major sports...Just look at there attendance figures for all there teams,its brutal. Miami is not a sports town!

You, are an (Let's refrain from personal attacks when making our points.)idiot, or uninformed, or both.

Dolphins - Super Bowl winners (2) - VII & VIII / Other appearances (3) - VI, XVII & XIX

U of Miami football - NCAA Football champions (5) - 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991 & 2001

Championships don't make a good sports town. South Florida is notorious for not caring about their sports teams, even if they win. When they lose? well, you end up with 300 people at a baseball game. Miami has never been a good sports town. It's right up there with Atlanta.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If ownership maintains payroll and a competitive team, the fans will stay. The "fire sale" days should long past them and they should be able to maintain a 60-70 million payroll without thinking twice. If not, the fans will disappear for good this time because there can be no more excuses.

The only "excuses" being offered are from the fans.

They stayed away in droves when this club won the World Series, and that spoke very, very poorly about the area's worthiness.

I believe in this market, but it's time for the fans to stop making excuses and support the team, even in those rough championship years.

I believe in this market, but it's time for the fans to stop making excuses and support the team, even in those rough championship years.

Why do you believe in Miami as a baseball market?

Honestly curious -- I, too, have long believed in Miami as a baseball market. But for the life of me I've never been able to come up with actual reasons or evidence to support that belief.

20082614447.png

I was born in 1992, and the Marlins came in in 1993, so I've known the Marlins literally my entire life as the Florida Marlins. It's going to be really weird adjusting to this.

On a side note, I would looooove to see this color scheme: Black, Teal, Orange, Silver

That would be sweeeeeeet!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Honestly curious -- I, too, have long believed in Miami as a baseball market. But for the life of me I've never been able to come up with actual reasons or evidence to support that belief.

The evidence that Miami is a baseball market can be seen when the Mets and Yankees come to town. As for the fans to stop making excuses, I have had season tickets for the Marlins twice. First from 1993 to 1997 and again from 2003 until last year, when I cancelled my tickets for 2008. The first time because it was insulting the method that Hiuzenga took to get a new park, state that the Marlins lost $34 million, when he owns the stadium (or half at the time), both teams, the cable network and the teams largest advertiser. This time, I found the reduction in payroll to be insulting. According to a friend that works at MLB, the Marlins brought approximately $30 million from revenue sharing, national tv, MLB online properties, local tv/radio. Once you add on top of that, merchandise sales, ticket revenue, ad revenue, concessions, parking (even if these last 3 are a minor percentage) and an increase in ticket prices, a $15-17 million payroll is sheer utter nonsense.

I'm completely sick of the whole Teal, Dolphin Greenish/Blue/Black team color look. They should go back to what the International League Miami Marlins wore from 1956 until 1960 when they moved. First to San Juan, PR and then in-season to Charleston, WV. ORANGE and ROYAL. And screw the Muts. They barely use their original color scheme any more.

I'd like to see them go back to using Teal or some type of green alot more. They'll probably make some kind of change anyway. The current logo has an F , so they'll at least have to change it to an M.

This set has previously been attributed to Mark Anthony.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I'm completely sick of the whole Teal, Dolphin Greenish/Blue/Black team color look. They should go back to what the International League Miami Marlins wore from 1956 until 1960 when they moved. First to San Juan, PR and then in-season to Charleston, WV. ORANGE and ROYAL. And screw the Muts. They barely use their original color scheme any more.

It's a team in Florida. They need teal.

Hey, at least they aren't selling out completely like the :censored: Rays.

I just bought my Marlins hat this year to signify my continued boycotting of everything and anything Tampa baseball, and I enjoyed partly now taking reverly in the fact that they were the FLORIDA Marlins, a complaint in the past, but now to me represented the only real team in the whole state.

But the M will go well with my first name, so I can't complain. And if they use more orange that would be awesome!

anti.png

You, are an (MOD EDIT - Let's refrain from personal attacks when making our points.), or uninformed, or both.

While I agree with your point that Miami IS a sports town, all you did there was prove that Miami has had some successful sports teams. You still haven't proven that the city supports those teams properly.

Attendance figures that I'VE looked at show that the city supports the Heat (6th in the NBA), kinda sorta support the Panthers (19th in the NHL), support even terrible Dolphins teams (10th in the NFL this past year) and they do NOT support the Marlins (Last in MLB) which only proves that the city might not be a baseball town OR might not be willing to watch baseball in a square football stadium.

So again, a new baseball only ballpark and some team success on the field again SHOULD boost attendance. If it doesn't, THEN we can start talking about it not being a baseball town and then Loria can work to move yet another team (Montreal thanks you not at all btw Mr Death), this time to Portland or Las Vegas.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I'm coming up short as well, except to say that with the large (or is it merely vocal?) Cuban contingent and the access to Latin American culture, baseball should be a solid fit.

But we'll see. I've been proven wrong on this issue before.

kinda sorta support the Panthers (19th in the NHL)

What? Not even close. They are #25 in fans per game and and #29 in percent capacity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?s...t&year=2008

This is the team everyone should be talking about moving, not Nashville.

There are plenty of good sections available at Panthers games. However, they have fantastic corporate support down here and somewhat helps offset the lack of people moving trhough the turnstiles. Plus they also have a local sports magazine (Unrestricted), which they're getting ready to launch into a few other markets.

Will that equate to the team staying here and not moving to say Winnipeg? Nope. It does give them the shot at sticking around for a little longer than some people seem to believe they need to.

I'd like to see them go back to using Teal or some type of green alot more. They'll probably make some kind of change anyway. The current logo has an F , so they'll at least have to change it to an M.

This set has previously been attributed to Mark Anthony.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

Yep...that's it...

...and it's wonderful...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm coming up short as well, except to say that with the large (or is it merely vocal?) Cuban contingent and the access to Latin American culture, baseball should be a solid fit.

But we'll see. I've been proven wrong on this issue before.

There are 650,000 Cuban-Americans in Miami-Dade County and another 200,000 throughout the state.

As far as TV ratings go, the Marlins are a little worse than the average when it comes to the other 29 teams. People watch the team (even a last place team) at a good rate, they just don't want to make the trek out to the football stadium.

ratings.jpg

-Graphic from the Sports Business Journal

1997 | 2003

Archived