ScottySprings' College Hoops Redesign Series- Duke Blue Devils

scottysprings

yes, i agree, that side panel treatment is much better than the simple one color thing you are doing now. in my head that idea seems very over the top and garrish, but once executed it looks great. before i saw the alt i was thinking, i need to see more yellow/black stripes or some of the flag. putting the alternate side panels on both home and away would fix this very well. my only real gripe is that the Terps wordmark just looks out of place on the home jersey. i say always use the Maryland one. it may not be popular, but historically i thnk the gold jersey is a better option. keep it up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the UConn one. Maryland probably should say "Maryland" and have a gold alt, but otherwise that looks good too.

How about Wisconsin?

Call me crazy, but maybe you could work in a W-looking thing like on the heads of these badgers:

badgerPAL1804_468x319.jpg

Or I always have thought the Sixers' '80s unis would convert to Wisconsin ...

p1_sixers.jpg

... as they did for Villanova ...

33-41140-F.jpg

Packers-2.png

UCONN- excellent.

Michigan- Nearly Perfect (why the side stripes on the shorts bigger than those on the tops).

Maryland- A small smidge away from pefection (well in my eyes). Why you put an inner line on bpth the homes and aways (yellow for the homes and white for the aways).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• 8 months later...

Here's a set of threads for the Badgers from the University of Wisconson-Madison. I had been toying with an update of their current template going but it looked like a straight rip off of the Rockets. I think it's a really nice design and it would be a shame to go to waste so maybe I can try and use it for another team down the line but here's my idea for a signature look. It's a sort of hybrid of 2 or 3 of the team's most recent uniforms but I think it looks nice. Now let me know what you think:

wisconsin-1.png

Bucky on the stripes looks way too busy. Maybe if you changed the striping pattern slightly so he'd be against a solid background. But I'm also thinking the motion W would look just as good (if not better) on the shorts.

But that's my only gripe... great work as usual.

Thanks, illwauk, I tried out your suggestions with the striping but I couldn't really come up with anything that worked well. I tried tapering off the gap between the the vertical lines but it formed a sort of sharp shape in there that I wasn't too fond of. I also tried out the motion "W" on the shorts but I didn't like it as much; It might just have something to do with me liking Bucky so freakin much, it's just an awesome logo. Thanks again for your input, I'm glad I got some approval from a Badgers fan ^_^

Well I haven't gotten any suggestion for teams to redesign so I took it upon myself pick one- the St. John's University Red Storm. As simple a concept as it is, I put a lot of thought and effort into this one. I tried out an assortment of skyline embellishments (based off of the unis during Felipe Lopez's tenure) but I didn't think any of them fit with St. John's new brand. From there I looked at what I don't like about the Red Storm's current look- too much black. I know there's very little black on their current threads as they are, but I still think it overpowers the red, which should be the focus of the design. The look I came up with is very simple but I think it's very classy and fits well with St. John's new style. I used some sublimated pinstriping to kind of kick-up the look; without it I think the look would be too bland. In addition, the numerals are based off of the wordmark, a modified Rockwell. I really hope you guys like 'em as much as I do. Let's get some more commentary this time around (please? :blush:)

stjohns.png

I really like the pinstripes on the Johnnies set. Very well done.

I'm kind of torn on the flag side panels for the roads for Maryland. Just doesn't pop as much as it does for the alts and the home set.

Can you do a USF concept next?

Yeah, that's what I was seeing as well, I think it looks too busy against the red or white compared to the black.

I think USF sounds like a good idea, I'll see what I can come up with.

Alrighty, here's what I put together for USF. I first tried out something similar to their football uniforms but it didn't really look too great. Then, I went back to what I had first tried for my Wisconsin concept. I made a couple of changes and I think it worked really well for the Bulls; the side panels kinda remind me of horns. This is probably the most modern of my concepts so far. What do you guys think?

usf.png

First off- I really love your work, very clean and perfectly executed.

For the USF concept, I love it. Almost flawless. The only thing I'd do is make the wordmark on the road jersey white.

Great job.

UConn: B+ Beautiful, although I'd like it more if the shorts had the same striping, without the white panel going all the way to the top of the shorts.

Maryland: B+ Honestly I think the flag pattern is too much, the first version is much better, IMO.

Michigan: B- I don't like that the shorts/jersey striping are different sizes. Try making the home script yellow with outline (like the #s.)

Wisconsin: A+ Great job, flawless executiion and design. I especially love the badger.

St. John's: A Love the subtle pinstripes, expecially with the simple jerseys. Hate that Rockwell font, but not your fault.

USF: B+ With the corrections this would be an A+

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I really like this thread. The concepts are really outstanding.

One thing I don't understand is the black on St John's at all. Isn't their secondary color navy blue?

I believe navy was a third color up until a few years ago.

Then they totally overhauled everything, and replaced it witth black.

I think.

Before and after.

sju%20logo.gifstjohns_black_small.gif

I think.

Before and after.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked out.

Here are v2 Michigan and South Florida. I tried making the "MICHIGAN" maize but it just made the jersey too dull, I think the navy makes it a lot bolder.

MICHIGAN

michigan.png

SOUTH FLORIDA

usf-1.png

I think.

Before and after.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked out.

Here are v2 Michigan and South Florida. I tried making the "MICHIGAN" maize but it just made the jersey too dull, I think the navy makes it a lot bolder.

MICHIGAN

michigan.png

SOUTH FLORIDA

usf-1.png

Great job.

What about making the numbers navy on the yellow alt, to match the wordmark (loving the script). (Looks good as is, but it might look even better, idk, just a suggestion.)

Looks much better, what if you made the numbers navy too and then added yellow outlines, like back in the day:

FabFive1.jpg

The updated USF set is flawless. Great job on that.

I like the new Michigan look. Nice job. For another team, it is always fun to work with teams with unique names, so the Richmond Spiders could be interesting to try. Some cool things to base designs off of for sure. Just a thought.

Archived