NIT: Cal at Ohio State

Burning River

First of all: I will try to get a photo, but nothing is out there. The game is on ESPN.

I'm not sure where to post this. I guess it falls under the lines of playing surface lay-outs rather than "Sport in General". Ohio State is playing a Home game in the NIT tonight vs. Cal. The Value City Arena was already booked for a Bruce Springsteen concert. So, tonights game is being played at St. John's Arena. The former Home basketball arena for the Buckeyes.

Why is that odd? The paintwork is for Volleyball. They added white tape to create the basketball boundaries. So, within the basketball court is the red thick red border that is designed for volleyball. It's sort of an optical illusion as the court appears to be SUPER SIZED when compared to the paint work.

It's just one of those oddities that I sort of get a kick out of. Football at Safeco or PacBell. Hockey in a football stadium... that sort of thing.

...or not.

What, Nationwide Arena wasn't available? Seems like they'd want to take advantage of the larger capacity, and all they'd have to do is truck the floor there.

On a uni-related topic, the Buckeyes are wearing the Hefty Bag silver set tonight. Looks awful, IMO.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

yea i find it interesting to watch teams play on anothers sports surface, but i know they hate it, and I would too if i had to get tackled into a pitchers mound. I would love if the balls rolling out of the volleyball line, and they try to save it and end up giving the ball up to the other team.

What, Nationwide Arena wasn't available? Seems like they'd want to take advantage of the larger capacity, and all they'd have to do is truck the floor there.

On a uni-related topic, the Buckeyes are wearing the Hefty Bag silver set tonight. Looks awful, IMO.

It is just the NIT, why pay rent for a game which will not have many in attendance? St. John Arena seats over 13K. Keep the parking revenues on campus and deal with the logistical issues. Plus, they did play a game there already this season against VMI.

Also, why play in nationwide, the cavern, when you can play in the badass st. john's. I know they have an expensive professional class arena, but I know lots of people that prefer St. John's to Value City Arena. It's closer to the court, the upperdeck hangs over the players, it's dark, and it is much louder despite being much smaller. It has a throwback feel to it and it's awesome.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks for finding a pic! At first glimpse it sort of reminds me of Vandy. (Sort of... sheesh!!) The game was sold -out at St. John's and it was a pretty raucious crowd. MUCH different that than the Value City Arena vibe (only 7,000+ at the game). I could tell that just from TV.

I used to think the NIT sucked until the NCAA guaranteed the "Conference Tourney Champion" started to get an automatic bid. After that... some teams got screwed that would be normally considered. I really don't think the NIT means "Yeah, we're 65th" anymore. Not with some of the automatic bids that got in.

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but Springsteen had the Value City Area rented out for the night. So that lead to this game being moved across the street. I found that I got a headache watching it because it was hard to see the white lines in standard definition and confusing with red line in the middle of the court.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

As a volleyball coach I love it that basketball is working around a volleyball court.

As someone introduced to volleyball this year, I agree it was kinda cool to see. The Buckeye men are still in second in the MIVA behind Ball State, who cameback from an 0-2 hole to top IPFW. But anyway, the place sounded like it was rocking tonight. Nice to see a school use an old arena instead of knocking it down.

I don't have any facts to back it up but I'm pretty sure turning old basketball gyms into volleyball gyms is common, or at least not rare. Alumni Memorial Gym is home to the MTSU Blue Raider volleyball team, and I believe Tennessee does something similar.

At least in college, I'm not sure how willing they are to just "knock a venue down."

I actually pointed this televised oddity out to my mother, who agreed it just looked crazy and confusing.

Certainly added its own little something to the game, though.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I don't have any facts to back it up but I'm pretty sure turning old basketball gyms into volleyball gyms is common, or at least not rare. Alumni Memorial Gym is home to the MTSU Blue Raider volleyball team, and I believe Tennessee does something similar.

At least in college, I'm not sure how willing they are to just "knock a venue down."

I actually pointed this televised oddity out to my mother, who agreed it just looked crazy and confusing.

Certainly added its own little something to the game, though.

It was only the VB end line which made it confusing, but a university "lowering" a venue for women's sport is not now. Regardless, St, John Arena could still be used for other municipal purposes within the volleyball setting. Smaller schools and their basketball end lines are just as bad. White or tan lines are used for VB just as they may merge with the floor or cameras

Wow, nobody talked how one use that Crew Stadium seems to be. Nice forethought, posters!

I think the best re-use was at Minnesota, where after they built the new Mariucci Arena for hockey, they remodeled the old hockey rink into a volleyball and other sports hall, mostly for women's sports.

I also remember a few years ago, Marquette had to host an NIT game and the Bradley Center was booked, so they played in the US Cellular Arena (the old MECCA) across the street, where they played during the Al McGuire era. Lost about 7K in capacity, but that's a great old basketball hall and a lot more fun to be in.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Thanks for finding a pic! At first glimpse it sort of reminds me of Vandy. (Sort of... sheesh!!) The game was sold -out at St. John's and it was a pretty raucious crowd. MUCH different that than the Value City Arena vibe (only 7,000+ at the game). I could tell that just from TV.

I used to think the NIT sucked until the NCAA guaranteed the "Conference Tourney Champion" started to get an automatic bid. After that... some teams got screwed that would be normally considered. I really don't think the NIT means "Yeah, we're 65th" anymore. Not with some of the automatic bids that got in.

You may be right, but I think fans of San Diego, Siena, Western Kentucky, and Davidson will tell you otherwise.

Wisconsin uses the old Fieldhouse for volleyball. They place a SportCourt down over the old basketball court. Some of the high school state basketball games are played at the Fieldhouse when the Kohl Center is being used.

Many D-1 colleges have a volleyball only venue. Most of them are the old basketball arenas.

I used to think the NIT sucked until the NCAA guaranteed the "Conference Tourney Champion" started to get an automatic bid.

The NCAA just guarantees a spot to the "conference champion." How that champion is determined -- and who gets the automatic bid -- is totally left up to the conferences.

That's why, with the exception of the Ivy League, the winner of the conference tournament is the one and only legitimate conference champion.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived