The Ottawa Rough Riders to ride again...in 2010

Bleujayone

Does anyone want to start taking bets about if the CFL will grant a 10th team and if they do where it might be?

Also, will this new Rough Rider team ask for a new logo or wil they go for the traditional (and boring) "R" logo?

Just so long as nobody named Glieberman is anywhere near this deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa to get CFL franchise Tuesday

Stadium still a hurdle, but Jeff Hunt to head ownership group

By DON BRENNAN, Sun Media

The deal is done.

A press conference announcing that an Ottawa ownership group, headed by 67's owner Jeff Hunt, has been granted a conditional CFL franchise will be held Tuesday afternoon at Lansdowne Park.

An agreement was finalized this morning between the league and the local business group that consists of land barons John Ruddy, Roger Greenberg, Bill Shenkman and Hunt.

All the partners as well as CFL commissioner Mark Cohon will be in attendance at the press conference.

The ?condition? is the group?s ability to strike a deal with the City of Ottawa on a viable arrangement to play at Frank Clair Stadium.

The south side stands have been condemned and are to be torn down this spring, but the entire facility is in need of major -- meaning costly -- repairs and renovations.

Ruddy is the president of Trinity Development Group, Greenberg is the chairman and CEO of Minto Developing Inc. and Shenkman is chairman of Shenkman Corp.

The group is interested in purchasing and developing Lansdowne Park, on which it proposes to build a mix of condos, stores and a world class sports facility. But ownership of the land and the stadium is not necessary for it to continue pursuit of a team that it wants on the field in 2010.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon will be in attendance to make the formal announcement.

This will mark the CFL?s third stint in Ottawa. The Rough Riders enjoyed a long and storied history in the city. Formed in 1876, the franchise captured nine Grey Cups, including three between 1960 and 1970.

The franchise ceased operations following the ?96 season. The CFL returned in 2002, this time as the Renegades. However, the league suspended that club four years later when its ownership wasn?t prepared to take on millions in projected losses. :flagcanada:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

It probably won't happen until late in the next decade. The league's focus should be on making sure that this new Ottawa team sustains itself for a few years and then going from there.

philly.png

I think this is good news for Ottawa. The owners group is prepared to develop a new stadium if they need to and they are all well proven in the Ottawa business scene. Hopefully they can put a good team on the field and help the CFL reach out into a community that used to have a great franchise.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Let's hope the CFL will be successful in Ottawa.. I was disappointed when the Renegades left via ownership problems... and I am sure the Ottawa 67's owner Jeff Hunt will do what he can do to make the Ottawa football team a good success like his hockey 67's....

Now as to the team name and logo.. I am hoping the Rough Riders logo and history can be restored somehow... I'm curious would that be official if it was the Ottawa Rough Riders, which started out in 1875 and left in 1996 and then returned as the Ottawa Renegades 2002-2005 and now this new Ottawa franchise?? I wanna know as I have to sort the Ottawa team records to be put together or separate?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I'll bet $50 CDN (since that's worth more nowadays) that the CFL doesn't add a 10th franchise in the next five years. Ottawa's conditional as it is, and no other group has a suitable ownership group and/or facility that would be ready to go for CFL use in that amount of time.

Laval University's PEPS Stadium in Quebec City holds, apparently, 18,500 for football. With temp seating, it could easily be brought up to 20-22,000, which is what the Alouettes have been thriving with for the last however many years it's been since they moved into McGill.

My money is on QC getting a tenth franchise, if/when the time comes.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rough Riders very doubtful

Renegades never

they'll find a pretty good name most likely

Nobody wants to pay Horn Chen for the rights to the Rough Riders. I understand inquiries were made in 2002 before 'Renegades' was selected and he wanted an obscene amount of cash for the rights to the name.

But, then, the new group is pretty solid locally and has deep pockets. They may be willing to pay for it if it suits their business plan. My bet though is that they're going to try to start fresh...once again. Just keep the Gliebermans far, far away.

I hope it happens and it succeeds.

I hope they can find an owner/owners for either a Quebec city or Maritime team and make a go of it--.

But that's still a tall order.

Still best wishes for this Ottawa thing.

As for name--forget Rough Riders--despite the history--even if Horn Chen gives it away.

Renegades would leave a bad taste.

Get a new name.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

How about the Ottawa Capitals (or Capitols)? That would be nice if so? Hmm why not spourt out some nicknames that could be useful for the Ottawa team to be called, in your own opinion?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Doesn't the CFL already have a team named the Rough Riders? Their backrupcy is really just an oppurtunity to distance themselves from Saskatchewan. Even if I lived in Ottawa I'd want my team to have a different name.

Doesn't the CFL already have a team named the Rough Riders? Their backrupcy is really just an oppurtunity to distance themselves from Saskatchewan. Even if I lived in Ottawa I'd want my team to have a different name.

The CFL isn't the CFL without the Rough Riders and Roughriders.

Rough Riders very doubtful

Renegades never

they'll find a pretty good name most likely

Nobody wants to pay Horn Chen for the rights to the Rough Riders. I understand inquiries were made in 2002 before 'Renegades' was selected and he wanted an obscene amount of cash for the rights to the name.

But, then, the new group is pretty solid locally and has deep pockets. They may be willing to pay for it if it suits their business plan. My bet though is that they're going to try to start fresh...once again. Just keep the Gliebermans far, far away.

I thought one of the groups that was being bounced around about a year ago ? the one with Jesse Palmer and/or his father involved ? had reached an agreement with Chen on buying the Rough Riders identity?

But yeah, best of luck to Hunt and the rest of the ownership group on this. And I agree that they need to keep the Gliebermans' grubby paws off the franchise.

How about the "Red Riders"? I mean they were kind of called that anyway when they played Saskatchewan (as opposed to the Green Riders).

Plus to be a little cheeky, I seem to recall a Canadian band named Red Rider.

Also, wasn't there a BB gun that was called Red Rider too?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

How about the "Red Riders"? I mean they were kind of called that anyway when they played Saskatchewan (as opposed to the Green Riders).

Mmhm, it even had a this little thing that told time on it!

untitled-6.jpg

No, they were the Black Riders.

Yes, they were from Winnipeg > Vancouver. What better way to pay homage to the Ottawa area.

You'll shoot your eye out.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived