Why I charge what I charge

iDonovan

I was not going to post. But I was ticked by a guy emailing looking for a logo...he had seen my concepts and wanted me to design something. Well I broke down the cost and he freaked in an email back. Calling me a few choice things ...and I thought I would show the work that goes into each one i do. I am not sure the Jerk contacted me from here, as he said he found me from a forum. I said $300 to $500

So here is the steps I take, this is a logo from my new hockey stuff coming up.

basically is a pencil sketch. then a black line drawing which is scanned and traced. After the trace i go back and clean and fix every nod and the add the colors and shadows. the artwork is completely vector and ready to used.

Click to see the full image

head.jpg

Wow you must be frekin' ricj charging that much for a logo, or freakin poor for that matter !

You're good but that's a lot of moolah for a logo !

Thats pretty standard for work on that level. While talking to some practicing designers when I was still in school, $60/hour is a price they all mentioned as a good place to be at, once your work gets that good. I would have no problem with that price, iD.

Personally I'd have no problem with that rate whatsoever if I were having a design done for my for-profit ventures or anything else I was planning to use for any kind of marketing-related purpose.

I mean think about it - you go to a doctor's office, the guy walks in, checks what's wrong with you over about 5 minutes, maybe writes you a prescription, and sends you on your way. The bill comes and it's $150 - if you're lucky.

It's like my old man, who was in the appliance repair business, used to tell his clients when he'd slip them a $50 invoice for doing something simple like plugging their dryer into the wall because the client forgot: "You aren't paying me for my time, but for my knowledge and skills." The same applies here.

nav-logo.png

Personally I'd have no problem with that rate whatsoever if I were having a design done for my for-profit ventures or anything else I was planning to use for any kind of marketing-related purpose.

I mean think about it - you go to a doctor's office, the guy walks in, checks what's wrong with you over about 5 minutes, maybe writes you a prescription, and sends you on your way. The bill comes and it's $150 - if you're lucky.

It's like my old man, who was in the appliance repair business, used to tell his clients when he'd slip them a $50 invoice for doing something simple like plugging their dryer into the wall because the client forgot: "You aren't paying me for my time, but for my knowledge and skills." The same applies here.

Thats what I love about Canada, Free Heath Care!!

But now on topic, your work is amazing. I am not one to know anything at all about prices but if I was an organization, I would probably be willing to pay more money for a logo that complex. Heck I would settle for the 3rd one!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The whole problem is that people want good work done for free and have no clue what goes into it and when you tell them a reasonable price, they freak. What this guy wanted was you to do the work for FREE! Anything more than free is too much for these lazy, no-talent, morons. I don't know if your work is worth what you're charging, because I don't know, but if you have prior history charging that much, then you're worth it. The people who really want it will pay for it.

Wow you must be frekin' ricj charging that much for a logo, or freakin poor for that matter !

You have no clue what you're talking about.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Agreed. Ready-to-use vector art, en mass like you've created them...at the quality level that you've created them...are hard to find.

You're not a logo-shop like logoworks.com or any others...you're a private designer with a track record of good work. If he can't pay...he isn't in the league of client you're wanting to have.

High-end clientele for high-end work.

Great Gorilla Logo, as with any of your work, iDonovan.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I was not going to post. But I was ticked by a guy emailing looking for a logo...he had seen my concepts and wanted me to design something. Well I broke down the cost and he freaked in an email back. Calling me a few choice things ...and I thought I would show the work that goes into each one i do. I am not sure the Jerk contacted me from here, as he said he found me from a forum. I said $300 to $500

basically is a pencil sketch. then a black line drawing which is scanned and traced. After the trace i go back and clean and fix every nod and the add the colors and shadows. the artwork is completely vector and ready to used.

head.jpg

Sweet! I'm totally gonna use that gorilla for my beer league team.

Then you definitely need to add a beer helmet to that gorilla. Two Bud diesels on each side with a hose going into his mouth!

head.jpg

I sure hope that is sarcasm. That would just be pathetic and shameful if you are serious, especially given the nature of this conversation.

I sure hope that is sarcasm. That would just be pathetic and shameful if you are serious, especially given the nature of this conversation.

I don't know what a beer league team is exactly, but I have a good idea...and...seriously? If someone wants to complain about someone using the logo for a made up league between him and some buddies them shame on them as well. Sometimes people have to lighten up.

This is in no disrespect to iD, but I mean...there has to some kind of restraint on how anal you can be with protecting something.

I was just mad at his whole me trying rip him off, and how I was just some money grabbing jerk.

i put a lot into my designs and logo.

If its one thing I have learned if you are willing to lower your price, they got you. I use to play the poor starving artist and thats they way you stay if you do.

The funny part of designing stuff is when I do rough concepts. I can do two or three really cool concepts, and then do something in 10 minutes which I think is just crap. The crap is used to move them towards the design I want them to use....and 9 out 10 times when I show them all the concepts they pick the crap.

I was just mad at his whole me trying rip him off, and how I was just some money grabbing jerk.

If its one thing I have learned if you are willing to lower your price, they got you. I use to play the poor starving artist and thats they way you stay if you do.

The funny part of designing stuff is when I do rough concepts. I can do two or three really cool concepts, and then do something in 10 minutes which I think is just crap. The crap is used to move them towards the design I want them to use....and 9 out 10 times when I show them all the concepts they pick the crap.

I find that to be the case with any kind of artwork when you're dealing with people that don't necessarily understand the whole process or terminology or what have you. There needs to be like a designated person for each organization that has a background in design or art or art history or anything art-related that can not only hire a designer, but work with that designer to achieve the best possible result for both the client's need and just from a straight aesthetic point of view. I feel like that would eliminate half of the horrible designs out there (and not just in athletics).

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived