Iowa, Anaheim announce affiliation agreement

Bigboy1083

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My money's on the safe, too-obvious choice: The Des Moines Ducks.

Boy, I hope you're wrong. Clone identities are a major gear-grinder in my book.

Mockba's idea of "Iowa Mallards" is a beauty. Ties into the parent club without Xeroxing it, and thumbs their nose at the QC ownership group, who dumped a unique, established identities for one of the cheaper-looking clones in recent memory.

And hey, maybe it could be an opportunity to bring back this guy:

cin-c.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Rumor is & I seriously I wish I was making this up....

Iowa Haymakers

Let's just play up the pugilism angle of hockey to appeal to the masses in basketball country. Great. <_< I can already see the dumb, cartoon-y mascot/logo already. :cursing:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The online Des Moines Register Sports/Hockey section has an AHL Iowa possible names poll you can vote on:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...gory=SPORTS1403

My favorite so far is "Iowa Dragoons"; some explanation: I gather the Iowa Dragoons were mid-19th century armed cavalry soldiers in the Indian wars there. I think there's a related Dragoon Trail along the river running through/near Des Moines. One of the Register's sports writers opined "Dragoons" could cleverly be shortened to "'Goons". ANY minor league hockey team selling "'Goons" merchandise would have a hit. It's the kind of goofy name that non-sports news would pick up on & make a "There's a hockey team in Iowa named the 'Goons!" play on, for what that's worth.

I kind of like "Haymakers" but what would be the logo & mascot characterization? An angry WIZARD OF OZ scarecrow with hockey stick? Wasn't there a minor league hockey or baseball team the Topeka Scarecrows that had such a logo?

"Dragoons" could go with a similar angry soldier holding a hockey stick instead of a rifle. The actual dragoon soldier unis were fairly colorful btw & could lend to a cool Iowa AHL look & color scheme.

Anyhoo, check out the Register Name Poll. As they do in Chicago, "Vote early & often!". I sez we stuff their ballot box with "Dragoons", what the "hay"! Wouldn't you think if Iowa AHL wants to announce the new name & look next month they'd likely have made up their minds by now? Ya never know & for my 2 cents Anaheim's AHL talent will make for a quite decent Iowa team next season. B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

To spite your puns and belief that a hockey team named the "Goons" is a good idea anywhere outside of a recreational league, I voted "None of the above."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In a mood today, are we, Sodboy? :rolleyes: I'm kidding, I'm a kidder! Call me old school, why not, but aren't sports supposed to be, you know, fun?!? All seriousness, aside, dude . . . was it ME who whizzed in your Cheerios today? I'm just askin' . . . Spite my puns all you want . . . it won't likely stop me from enjoying life.

Oh yes: Vote NO On CCSLC Emoticon Limits! :cursing:

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

As a person in Iowa, this is a great move. Anaheim gets their farm team that's closer to Anaheim itself (Although it's AA team is in Bakersfield. Go figure) and Iowa fans get a chance to see a team that they can say that it's unique to Iowa.

I say they should name them the Iowa Racoons, after the Racoon River that flows through Des Moines. Other ideas are...

-Elks (Des Moines has been called the Hartford of the West because many insurance companies are based in the city. Of course, the elk is the signature mascot of The Hartford. Makes sense, doesn't it?)

-Cornhuskers (Iowa and Corn. A no brainer since 1850)

Anaheim was the Baltimore Bandits parent club when they were around. They sported a raccoon as their primary logo.

It would be nice to bring that one back. I always liked it.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

As a person in Iowa, this is a great move. Anaheim gets their farm team that's closer to Anaheim itself (Although it's AA team is in Bakersfield. Go figure) and Iowa fans get a chance to see a team that they can say that it's unique to Iowa.

I say they should name them the Iowa Racoons, after the Racoon River that flows through Des Moines. Other ideas are...

-Elks (Des Moines has been called the Hartford of the West because many insurance companies are based in the city. Of course, the elk is the signature mascot of The Hartford. Makes sense, doesn't it?)

Anaheim was the Baltimore Bandits parent club when they were around. They sported a raccoon as their primary logo.

no to the racoons. the long version is fine but the shortened version that no doubt would be used is a tad bit racist for my liking.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

no to the racoons. the long version is fine but the shortened version that no doubt would be used is a tad bit racist for my liking.

If there can be a cracker called Cheese Nips and a cleaner called Spic and Span, surely a hockey team could be called the Coons?

If there can be a cracker called Cheese Nips and a cleaner called Spic and Span, surely a hockey team could be called the Coons?

or my personal favorite Washington Redskins.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

My money's on the safe, too-obvious choice: The Des Moines Ducks.

Boy, I hope you're wrong. Clone identities are a major gear-grinder in my book.

Mockba's idea of "Iowa Mallards" is a beauty. Ties into the parent club without Xeroxing it, and thumbs their nose at the QC ownership group, who dumped a unique, established identities for one of the cheaper-looking clones in recent memory.

And hey, maybe it could be an opportunity to bring back this guy:

cin-c.jpg

That guy in the Ducks current colors would look amazing.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Updating this with yesterday's news, bringing Buffalo's affiliate into Portland:

The AHL's Portland Pirates announced today a new, long-term affiliation agreement with the Buffalo Sabres effective with the 2008-2009 AHL season. The announcement was made in Portland by Pirates managing owner/CEO Brian Petrovek, Pirates chairman/governor Lyman Bullard, Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn, and Sabres general manager Darcy Regier.

?This is an exciting day for fans of hockey throughout our state to partner with an eastern US city with one of the richest histories in professional hockey dating back to the turn of the century. From an initial meeting with Larry and Darcy last fall and our follow-up with Chief Operating Officer Dan DiPofi, we knew this would be a great fit for our fans and our business, one that we expect will bring exciting, championship caliber performances on the ice for years to come, along with a deeply rooted commitment to our community off the ice as well. Today?s announcement represents another important building block in our growth and commitment to professional hockey in Maine,? said Petrovek and Bullard in a joint statement.

Before teaming up with the Pirates, the Sabres were affiliated with the Rochester Americans for 29 seasons, the longest such partnership in professional hockey between an NHL team and its AHL affiliate. During that span, Rochester had a record of 1,137-932-238-13 in 2,320 regular season games (.593 winning percentage) and made the playoffs 24 out of the 29 seasons. The team won its division title eight times, advanced to the Calder Cup Finals six times, winning the Calder Cup three of those years (1983, 1987 and 1996). A number of current Sabres players, including Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, and Paul Gaustad, helped Rochester to its best season record in team history when it earned 112 points during the 2004-2005 season.

?We are excited to begin our AHL affiliation with the Portland Pirates and the city of Portland,? said Buffalo managing partner Larry Quinn. ?I am looking forward to working with Lyman Bullard, Brian Petrovek and Brian Williams, and the entire Pirates organization. I have been impressed with their professionalism from day one and am excited to build our new relationship both personally and professionally.?

?There is a rich history of professional hockey in Portland and we hope to add to that winning tradition,? said Sabres general manager Darcy Regier. ?During our tenure with our previous AHL affiliation, our franchise model was to draft and to develop young prospects and build our success from a core group within. With our current roster of players like Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek, we have been able to develop our system with positive results. It?s critical for the survival and success of the Buffalo Sabres franchise to continue to add quality, young players that can develop within our system and grow as professionals.?

The new long-term agreement between the Pirates and the Buffalo Sabres guarantees professional hockey in the city of Portland through 2011. Since the Maine Mariners inaugural season in 1977, over 1,000 games have been played in front of over 3 million fans at the American Hockey League level. Dating back to the days of the Mariners, the AHL has played hockey in Portland for over 30 years. Only five other teams (Hershey, Rochester, Providence, Springfield and Cleveland) have had an American Hockey League franchise in their city longer than Portland.

Buffalo becomes the third NHL affiliate in Pirates history. During their five-year affiliation with the Washington Capitals (2000-2005), the Pirates compiled a .535 regular-season winning percentage and made the playoffs three out of the five seasons. During their three-year affiliation with the Anaheim Ducks (2005-2008), the Pirates compiled a .563 regular-season winning percentage and made two Calder Cup playoff appearances, losing in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in both the 2005-06 and 2007-08 seasons.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Seeing as Des Moines is situated at the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers, it would fit nicely. Sadly, Des Moines is close to being IN the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers right now and IT WON'T STOP RAINING. Bandits is good, though and was one of the choices for the name of the the Stars' mascot as it was a skating raccoon. It wouldn't be that bad...

I voted, Dragoons is winning so far, I voted Dragoons, I thought that would be a cool name.

They'll have an interesting rivalry with the Dark Knights, who will later become the Paladins.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I voted, Dragoons is winning so far, I voted Dragoons, I thought that would be a cool name.

See, if you have team named the Dragoons, then it's a must that the rival of the team must be called the Hydralisks [/starCraft fanboy mode]

Archived