Iowa, Anaheim announce affiliation agreement

Bigboy1083

Copied from theahl.com:

06/03/2008 2:00 PM

Schlegel Sports, owner of Iowa?s American Hockey League (AHL) team, announced Tuesday the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL) will bring their AHL affiliate to Des Moines starting with the 2008-09 season.

Anaheim had been affiliated with the AHL?s Portland Pirates for the last three seasons. In that time, the Ducks? top prospects won the Atlantic Division championship in 2006 and reached the Eastern Conference Finals of the Calder Cup Playoffs in both 2006 and 2008. The team will replace the Iowa Stars, who ended their affiliation agreement with the Dallas Stars after the 2007-08 season.

Brian Burke, the Ducks? executive vice president and general manager, was part of the official announcement made today at an Iowa news conference. Burke has a long history in hockey, and was recently selected by The Hockey News as the NHL's top General Manager.

?We are thrilled to be affiliating with the Schlegel family in a great hockey market such as Des Moines,? says Burke. ?The Ducks are very excited to have an opportunity to work with an ownership and management team that?s as committed to winning as we are.?

The Ducks won the Stanley Cup in 2007 and have a franchise-record of three consecutive trips to the playoffs since the 2005-06 season. With their extremely physical brand of hockey, they also recorded the most penalty minutes in the league in 2007-08 with 1,465.

?Our goal has always been to grow AHL hockey in the Des Moines community and we look forward to an amazing season,? says Kirby Schlegel, chairman and CEO of Schlegel Sports. ?With this change in affiliation there will be some exciting changes for Iowa hockey fans as well. We are also lowering ticket prices to attract more fans supporting AHL hockey in Des Moines. All of these changes mean a win-win situation for everyone involved.?

The new Iowa AHL team will announce their team name, logo and colors in July, and will step onto the ice in October.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so fast with the RIP...

Rumor has it Buffalo will move its affiliate from Rochester to Portland. Portland is still advertising and promoting season ticket packages for the 08-09 season, so I think news might halt until the Calder Cup is over.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Rumor has it Buffalo will move its affiliate from Rochester to Portland. Portland is still advertising and promoting season ticket packages for the 08-09 season, so I think news might halt until the Calder Cup is over.

So what happens with Rochester? Are they still splitting Buffalo and Florida?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The new Iowa AHL team will announce their team name, logo and colors in July, and will step onto the ice in October.

I can't wait to see them!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Rochester might be entirely Florida's affiliate with the Sabres move.

This can't help but be a downgrade to the very nice classy set of uni's they had. Damn Ducks. :cursing:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

This can't help but be a downgrade to the very nice classy set of uni's they had. Damn Ducks. :cursing:

Someone else posted on here rumors of "Iowa Thunder," so that sounds less-than-promising. Are there any rumblings on who Dallas will do a split affiliation with for this season, since the (Austin) Texas Stars aren't starting play until '09? San Antonio seems like the logical choice, but I guess anywhere's possible.

Non-Edge I-Stars jerseys are $60 with free shipping at ahlstore.com, BTW. Just picked myself up that beauty of a black alternate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If the Dallas Stars would've changed there jerseys to what the Iowa Stars had, I would've be very happy boy.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Rochester is rumored to go to all Florida. Rochester doesn't like Buffalo and their management, so they are ruining the 30 year relationship. It will be a good and bad move for the Sabres. They get a team to themselves but they have to go to Portland, ME, instead of Rochester, NY, 100 miles away.

Buffalo also just restocked the AHL team because of the mass signings the Sabres just had. Kennedy, Gerbe, Enroth, Persson, Schutz, and Butler. So I see Portland staying competitive in the AHL with the new affiliation.

saBS.png

On a side note, I don't get how any NHL franchise can afford to "share" their top affiliate with another team. Player development is absolutely crucial to team success.

Well technically the AHL has 29 teams, so for now 1 team will always have 2 affiliates until the dormant Edmonton RoadRunners are re-established.

On a side note, I don't get how any NHL franchise can afford to "share" their top affiliate with another team. Player development is absolutely crucial to team success.

Well technically the AHL has 29 teams, so for now 1 team will always have 2 affiliates until the dormant Edmonton RoadRunners are re-established.

The Edmonton 'Runners are dead. They will never see the light of day again.

The 30th team will be the new Austin team the Stars will bring into the league in 2009.

I saw this months ago when Iowa and Dallas announced their seperation. Anaheim wanted a club closer to the west coast (iowa's not close, but it's a :censored:load closer than Portland, Maine). Buffalo needed an out of Rochester, and with Portland open, it fit all too perfectly.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Sometimes teams don't have enough money to fied squads at all levels. Lowell's second year was split between the Islanders and Kings, until the Islanders got more money and started the Bridgeport franchise.

Later on, Lowell was split between Carolina/Calgary (2 seasons) and Carolina/Colorado (1 season).

Iowa Mallards.

Too soon?

That would certainly ignite the rivalry between Quad Cities and Iowa. I'm all for it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Non-Edge I-Stars jerseys are $60 with free shipping at ahlstore.com, BTW. Just picked myself up that beauty of a black alternate.

I got all excited thinking they were authentics. :cry:

I got all excited thinking they were authentics. :cry:

Well, they do have some gamers going for about $150 on eBay, if that's more your thing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a person in Iowa, this is a great move. Anaheim gets their farm team that's closer to Anaheim itself (Although it's AA team is in Bakersfield. Go figure) and Iowa fans get a chance to see a team that they can say that it's unique to Iowa.

I say they should name them the Iowa Racoons, after the Racoon River that flows through Des Moines. Other ideas are...

-Elks (Des Moines has been called the Hartford of the West because many insurance companies are based in the city. Of course, the elk is the signature mascot of The Hartford. Makes sense, doesn't it?)

-Cornhuskers (Iowa and Corn. A no brainer since 1850)

Archived