MLB 2028

JayJaxon

I am still working on new designs and jerseys for this project. But for now I am going to be on a 3-4 day hiatus as I am leaving for Iraq soon. Keep the ideas coming and I appreciate the comments on my work so far. There is still a long way to go, so if your team has not been represented yet, then let me know what you want to see.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night, I got to thinking how the scheduling would work if there were 32 teams with 4-team division. So I made a little sequence of how the schedule would work. Now, I'm not a huge fan of interleague play, so I keep it to a limited number of games.

24 games against Division team (12 Home + 12 Away) * 3 Teams = 72 Games

6 games against League team (3 Home + 3 Away) * 12 Teams = 72 Games

*3 games against Interleague team (9 Home + 9 Away) * 6 Teams = 18 Games

*=Interleague plays requires all of the old rivialries (Cubs vs. White Sox, Cardinals vs. Royals, Mets vs Yankees, etc...) to play two series, both at home and away. The teams that does not have such rivialry will just play interleague team and possibly develop a new rivalary (ex. Arizona vs Seattle, etc...).

Also, one division will rotate throughout the another divison. For example, in the first year, NL West will play AL West. 2nd Year, NL West will play AL North, and so on...

On an additional note, all of the series will be three games long. But if there is a four game series, then it will have to be against a divisional team. For example, in May, the Cubs have a 4-game series against the Cardinal. Then later in August, they have a quick two-game series. The third game from the August series is the fourth game of the May series.

What do you think??

IowaOaks.png

Last night, I got to thinking how the scheduling would work if there were 32 teams with 4-team division. So I made a little sequence of how the schedule would work. Now, I'm not a huge fan of interleague play, so I keep it to a limited number of games.

24 games against Division team (12 Home + 12 Away) * 3 Teams = 72 Games

6 games against League team (3 Home + 3 Away) * 12 Teams = 72 Games

*3 games against Interleague team (9 Home + 9 Away) * 6 Teams = 18 Games

*=Interleague plays requires all of the old rivialries (Cubs vs. White Sox, Cardinals vs. Royals, Mets vs Yankees, etc...) to play two series, both at home and away. The teams that does not have such rivialry will just play interleague team and possibly develop a new rivalary (ex. Arizona vs Seattle, etc...).

Also, one division will rotate throughout the another divison. For example, in the first year, NL West will play AL West. 2nd Year, NL West will play AL North, and so on...

On an additional note, all of the series will be three games long. But if there is a four game series, then it will have to be against a divisional team. For example, in May, the Cubs have a 4-game series against the Cardinal. Then later in August, they have a quick two-game series. The third game from the August series is the fourth game of the May series.

What do you think??

I am a fan of interleague play, but I know a lot of people are not, and I can't fault them for that. With that said, I think your format would work. It is simple and looks like it would not cause that much of a scheduling problem. Kudos to you for thinking it through and coming up with this.

I'm glad that you like my idea. I'm not a HUGE fan of interleague, but I like to see a FEW games of interleague, so I think 18 game is just the right amount of games there should be to play. It's not too many, not too few. That's about what every team in MLB right now plays right now, about 15-20 interleague games.

IowaOaks.png

After looking through the topic, I can say I like each jersey and design you've made. I don't have any real criticisms because nearly everything you did is something I look for in baseball jerseys.

Thank you. It's good to know you like all of my stuff so far. I know I have used a lot of vests in my concepts. But in my history, 20 years from now, more and more teams are adopting the idea. I personally like the vest on some teams. Keep looking, there is more to come.

I'm glad that you like my idea. I'm not a HUGE fan of interleague, but I like to see a FEW games of interleague, so I think 18 game is just the right amount of games there should be to play. It's not too many, not too few. That's about what every team in MLB right now plays right now, about 15-20 interleague games.

Your right. They could spread them out over the course of the season too. But I like the idea of a 'Rivalry Weekend'

not a big fan of the white sox concept, but dang, i love that logo in blue.

My thoughts exactly. The thing I noticed with the history of the White Sox is that they have tried several color schemes. The blue is dark, but not too dark. As for the rest, I wanted to give them a futuristic feel, and I think I accomplished that, but I knew it would not be the favorite. Thanks for checking it out.

*MLB Changed their logo in 2019

*The All-Star Game no longer determines WS Home field advantage starting in 2016.

*Designated hitter is dropped in 2012. NL starts dominating the sport again.

*Interleague play goes all year round starting in 2015.

*Two team expansion in 2020. Charlotte and Portland get teams.

*Most teams started going to at least one vest set around 2015.

*The dark alternate slowly became the primary home jersey for most teams.

*Some teams went back to pullovers or the two-button format.

*Every team now has at least 3 uniform sets. The Yankees introduce their 'Dark Primary' in 2020.

*Bud Selig retires before the 2016 season. The new Commish promptly moves the Brewers back to the AL and abandons the ASG Home field rule.

*The Rays change the first name from 'Tampa Bay' to 'Tampa' after a city vote in 2013 grants them permission to do so.

*The Marlins become the Miami Marlins in 2011 as planned.

*The Angels finally took on just 'Los Angeles' as their city name in 2011.

*The Colorado Rockies become the Denver Rockies in 2017 due to a legal dispute.

*The expansion team in Charlotte is the Knights. The one in Portland is the Beavers. Both named after former minor league teams in the areas.

*The Atlanta Braves host the All-Star Game in 2028.

More history will come with each new team I present on this thread. First up is one of the expansion teams. The Charlotte Knights was the overwhelming favorite for the team name when the city was chosen to be one of the two new franchises for 2020. Majority owner Michael Jordan wanted to keep some of the old identity of the minor league team, but still change the colors and give the team a major league look. They are in the National League and reside in the Eastern Division.

Love your concepts.

First of all, it will be a while before MLB expands but I think they will do so by 2020. They need to get a salary cap quickly.

I live about an hour from Charlotte., lived there for 7 years, I don't know when Charlotte will be ready to support MLB. It might be a tall order to draw for 81 games. But by 2020 the city could be big enough. Plans are in the works for a minor-league ballpark uptown for the Knights by 2010, although there is a guy with the last name of Reese that wants to stop that and hold out for MLB. They ought to make the new park expandable to MLB but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Personally I am in no hurry for a Charlotte MLB team and think we could do without. As a die-hard Braves fan, I would hate to see a Charlotte team keep my Braves off TV and radio here and force me to spring for DirecTV Extra Innings. Unlike in football when I dumped the 49ers for the Panthers soon after they came along, I've supported the Braves too long for me to dump them for a new Charlotte team. But tf that day comes, the Knights are my choice for a nickname too. Unlike you, I would call it the Carolina Knights and put them in the American League. They could be rivals with the Orioles, It would give the Southeast another AL presence. Currently the Rays are the only AL team in the Southeast. It would be much easier for me to root for a Charlotte team in the AL. The Braves could still play a series there every year, they could be their interleague rivals.

But instead of Charlotte, I would try to reincarnate the Montreal Expos as an expansion team. I'm probably in the minority but I think Montreal deserves and would embrace a new team after how badly the Expos were treated the last 10+ years before becoming the Nationals. Without the strike, I think the Expos win the 1994 World Series and still exist.

I agree that Portland should get an expansion team called the Beavers, however, it should not be in the same league as Seattle. I don't think Seattle would allow Portland to be in the same league as them. (much like Baltimore would not have wanted the Nationals in the AL). So that the weaker National League isn't stuck with two expansion teams (Montreal would have to be in the NL), I would step out of the box and try to move Seattle to the NL so Portland could be in the AL. Safeco Field is a better NL park anyway, although I do agree with getting rid of the DH.

I definitely agree on getting rid of the All-Star game determining home-field advantage. I would give it to the league who wins interleague play. If the Braves host the All-Star game in 2028, which league hosts it in back-to-back years? With the NL hosting it two years in row (Pittsburgh in 06, San Fran in 07), they are now set up to host it in odd years, the AL in even years.

I would go to 4 divisions of 4 teams in each league, just like in the NFL. And I would cut the regular season to 150 games and expand the playoffs to 8 teams per league. 20 games vs. each divsion rival (60 games), 6 games vs. intraleague non-division opponents (72 games), and 18 interleague games. 12 of these games would rotate, and 6 would be against a natural rival or two. This would help save pitching. It would create more fan interest, and the bottom feeders would be put out of their misery 12 games early. All series would be best-of-7. If a division winner finishes with a losing record, they miss the playoffs if they do not have one of the 8 best records in the league.

Here's how I would set up the divisions. Arizona and Colorado move to the AL, Seattle to the NL.

AL East: Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Tampa Bay

AL Central: Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago White Sox, Toronto

AL Midwest: Colorado, Kansas City, Minnesota, Texas

AL West: Arizona, LA Angels, Portland, Sacramento A's (moved from Oakland)

NL East: NY Mets, Montreal, Philadelphia, Washington (imagine a rivalry between the old and new Expos!)

NL Central: Atlanta, Houston, Pittsburgh, Miami

NL Midwest: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis (Cincinnati does have history with Atlanta from the old NL West and could be switched with Houston, but I think the Reds would fight to be with the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers)

NL West: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle

Here's how I would set up the divisions. Arizona and Colorado move to the AL, Seattle to the NL.

AL West: Arizona, LA Angels, Portland, Sacramento A's

NL East: NY Mets, Montreal, Philadelphia, Washington

NL Midwest: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis

Here's how I would do it, considering your changes:

AL Atlantic: Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Tampa

AL Great Lakes: Cleveland, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Toronto

AL Pacific: LA Angels, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle

NL North-East: Montreal, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Washington

NL South-East: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Miami

NL Central: Chi. Cubs, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis

NL West: Arizona, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

These are all interesting ways of looking at a 32-team MLB. It will happen sometime in the future, the question is, when? johndeere1997, you have an interesting take on what you would do with 32 teams, including switching Arizona, Colorado, and Seattle. I think Seattle would be a good fit for the NL. Your outside the box thinking gives us a different look in baseball, which may be what it needs. Putting Charlotte in the AL and Portland in the NL would work too, and when I made the decision as to which I was going to put where, I was thinking in terms of the AL presence in the west, which is at 4 right now. Portland, in my mind, is the most deserving 'US' city for a baseball club. Charlotte is where my dad grew up and he would love to see a team there, which is why I chose it as the other city in my futuristic expansion. Those cities may be the two favorites to get baseball when it expands again. Canada is a different story. If baseball does go back to our neighbor to the north, there are a few choices. Besides Montreal, which would be the obvious choice, Ottawa could probably support a team, and so could British Columbia. There are many ways the divisions could go. In the next few days I will give my list of who I would put where. I need to give some more thought to it though.

In other news, the next batch of concepts should be ready soon. I'm anticipating the Twins, Indians, and the Rockies will be the next ones. Keep feeding me ideas, and enjoy!

Frankly, with year-round interleague play, I'd just ditch the leagues all together; what would it matter? Just have one league with eight divisions. Then you could have some really intriguing alignments where you could put rival teams like the Cubs, White Sox, and Cardinals or all of California together.

LT

Frankly, with year-round interleague play, I'd just ditch the leagues all together; what would it matter? Just have one league with eight divisions. Then you could have some really intriguing alignments where you could put rival teams like the Cubs, White Sox, and Cardinals or all of California together.

LT

I love the idea of geographical rivalries, but baseball will never ditch the two league format. Then again, none of the other leagues have either, and they have interleague all year round. The NL and the AL will stay in place, if for no other reason, to have a set standard for the playoffs. Of course, we all know how baseball fans are. If MLB changes too much too fast, it will mess up our whole universe.

LT

I love the idea of geographical rivalries, but baseball will never ditch the two league format. Then again, none of the other leagues have either, and they have interleague all year round. The NL and the AL will stay in place, if for no other reason, to have a set standard for the playoffs. Of course, we all know how baseball fans are. If MLB changes too much too fast, it will mess up our whole universe.

Yes, I am sure you are right there. However, if we extend the idea, how possible is it in twenty years that we have international leagues. Perhaps a Japan (or Asian) league, or a Latin American league. In that event, we might still have two leagues in the States, but it wouldn't make as much sense to call them what we currently call them. Ok, now I am really starting to get out the box, sorry! Perhaps you could bank some of these ideas for a 2048 set ^_^

LT

AL West: Arizona, LA Angels, Portland, Sacramento A's

NL East: NY Mets, Montreal, Philadelphia, Washington

NL Midwest: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis

Here's how I would do it, considering your changes:

AL Atlantic: Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Tampa

AL Great Lakes: Cleveland, Chi. White Sox, Detroit, Toronto

AL Pacific: LA Angels, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle

NL North-East: Montreal, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Washington

NL South-East: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Miami

NL Central: Chi. Cubs, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis

lmao...AL Great Lakes...can't see it. The Jays pretty much HAVE to be with the Red Sox and the Yankees. They are pretty much their only rivals!!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

This is what i think the alignment should be...

AL NorthEast: Baltimore, Boston, New York Yankees, Toronto

AL MidWest: Cleveland, Chicago White Sox, Detroit, Minnesota

AL South: Denver, Kansas City, Texas, Tampa

Al West: LA angels, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento

NL NorthEast: Washington, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

NL SouthEast: Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Charlotte

NL Central: Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St. Louis

Personally would rather keep AL/NL, but if they were to do it like the NHL and NBA and go west/east this is how it would look IMO(unfortunately, the dividing line is in chicago)...

Eastern Conference

North Division: New York Yankees, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Boston

Mid-North Division: Baltimore, Washington, Toronto, Pittsburgh

Midwest Division: Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago White Sox

South Division: Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte

Western Conference

NorthWest Division: San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Seattle

North Division: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago Cubs, Kansas City

SouthWest Division: LA, Anaheim, San Diego, Arizona

South Division: Texas, Houston, Denver, St. Louis

LT

That could actually work, we'd have two leagues in the united states, but change them to the American and National Conference in the United States League,with two divisions, and have minimum interleague play. Then have a Japan Conference and Latin Conference in the International Conference, with two divisions,with a little bit of interleague play between them. But Keep them all under the MLB, and allow trades between teams and such.

so we'd have

United States League

American Conference: AC West, AC East

National Conference: NC West, NC East

International League:

Japan Conference: JC North, JC East

Latin Conference: Carribean Division, Mexico Division

then the playoffs would go

JC north vs Jc East

Winners

Caribean vs. Mexico

________________________________ Winners