Looking for pics of 1932 Cubs

spyboy1

Here is a challenge. I have a 1932 Chicago Cubs home alternate jersey, the one with the "Cubs" fancy script logo, the second one from the left.

nl_1932_chicago.gif

This is the first year that the Cubs wore numbers on their jerseys and I have been unable to locate any photos of this jersey, or any jersey from this season showing the number style used on the back of this jersey. The closest I have found is a photo of an old Mitchell and Ness jersey, but no player photos to verify they've got it right.

cub32ws.jpg

I've searched the internet for photos with no results. Nothing on Youtube either. Since they went to the World Series that season, perhaps there are some out there or maybe there's a photo in a book that might help.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Are there any decent back shots of any Cubbies in the grainy video of the "Called Shot"? That is from a 1932 World Series game at Wrigley Field, though I don't know if the Cubs were wearing those particular uniforms at the time. See if you can find that video online somewhere, give it a look and see if it helps.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Are there any decent back shots of any Cubbies in the grainy video of the "Called Shot"? That is from a 1932 World Series game at Wrigley Field, though I don't know if the Cubs were wearing those particular uniforms at the time. See if you can find that video online somewhere, give it a look and see if it helps.

There was one listed on youtube that had been pulled for copyright reasons, which was a bummer. I wasn't able to look anywhere else for that video yet.

The photo above is the best one I've seen so far. I'm going to go on the assumption, until proven otherwise, that they wore the same font on all four jersey styles.

Spyboy, any chance of taking a pic of your jersey and posting it here?

Here's the one I have.

58a5_1.JPG

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I'm (almost) thinking that font looks kind of similar to Champion block because the 7 appears to have a little bit of a curve to it, but it could be the strap of the chest protector pulling at it.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

This link has an artist's rendering on the Called Shot in the 1930s section. Same No. 7, same issue, though:

Flash link

It's from a Chicago Tribune presentation called "Baseball in Chicago." I wasn't able to scan the whole thing, but I didn't see anything else of note in the '30s. The rest can be found here... maybe there's something else that's helpful:

chicagotribune.com/baseball

Not adding to the number part of this thread, but I immediately noticed something when I saw this thread. That last Cubs uniform and then "Chicago" and the cap are both in red. Cubs in a red cap? I have the original Mark Okkonen book and now I'm curious what's right. Is that recolor wrong? Is that from dressed to the nines? Is that in the '93 version? What's the truth?

This may sound weird, but "Chicago" is just a very... well... "pretty-looking" word. It's a shame that only the White Sox use it in script form, and even in that case, it's not as great as it could be (with a tail below it going through the loop in the "g".)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This may sound weird, but "Chicago" is just a very... well... "pretty-looking" word. It's a shame that only the White Sox use it in script form, and even in that case, it's not as great as it could be (with a tail below it going through the loop in the "g".)

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree...and I think "Denver," "Miami," and "Seattle" are up there with it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Does this help you?

1932Cubs.jpg

That logo is by far my favorite Cubs logo (even though the one in my avitar is the one I have tattoo'd to my leg!)

Moose

That's a cool photo, but I think he is looking for pics of the numbers on back. Maybe if you flip the picture :D

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

That's a cool photo, but I think he is looking for pics of the numbers on back. Maybe if you flip the picture :D

That is a cool photo and thanks for posting it. Yea, it doesn't show the back of the jerseys, but I'm still happy to see my jersey being worn.

HansonsSig.jpg

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree...and I think "Denver," "Miami," and "Seattle" are up there with it.

Denver? Really? I couldn't disagree more. It's not an ugly-looking word, but it's just awkward when written in script. Probably because the D doesn't naturally connect with the e, and the r doesn't terminate very... eloquently (for lack of a better word.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Denver? Really? I couldn't disagree more. It's not an ugly-looking word, but it's just awkward when written in script. Probably because the D doesn't naturally connect with the e, and the r doesn't terminate very... eloquently (for lack of a better word.)

Actually, with Denver I was picturing the vintage basketball jersey and baseball jersey (Rockets and Bears, I think) that one guy has in his signature. I don't believe I've ever seen it written in script.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

This is the best I could find. It's from 1938, but it looks like the same home jersey as what they wore in 1932. You can kinda see no. 14. Sorry I couldn't do any better.

You might also want to see if your library or something has this book, this book, or maybe even this book.

Cool find. The jersey I have was worn in 1931 with no numbers, 1932, the first year for numbers and National League Champions, and 1933.

My first thought was to go with Hack Wilson, but he was only on the numberless 1931 Cubs, so after some research, Gabby Hartnett, #6 on bleedcubbieblue.com's list of the top 100 Cubs of all time, became the choice. The nice thing about Gabby is the fact he was right there for the Babe Ruth "called shot" making him the only Cub player photographed from the back all season from the looks of it! The odd part is he wore 7 that first year with numbers and then wore 9 or 2 for the last 9 years of his career, so "7" isn't really "his" number traditionally.

It's kind of strange to see how players adapted to wearing numbers back in the beginning while researching this jersey. For example Stan Hack, your #12 all time Cub, wore #31, #49, #34, #39, #39 and #6 for the first six seasons with numbers and then added #20 and #25 after six years with #6(!) only to change back to #6 for the last three years of his career. That's 7 numbers in 16 years and 5 different in his first 6. :wacko:

HansonsSig.jpg

This is the best I could find. It's from 1938, but it looks like the same home jersey as what they wore in 1932. You can kinda see no. 14. Sorry I couldn't do any better.

You might also want to see if your library or something has this book, this book, or maybe even this book.

Cool find. The jersey I have was worn in 1931 with no numbers, 1932, the first year for numbers and National League Champions, and 1933.

My first thought was to go with Hack Wilson, but he was only on the numberless 1931 Cubs, so after some research, Gabby Hartnett, #6 on bleedcubbieblue.com's list of the top 100 Cubs of all time, became the choice. The nice thing about Gabby is the fact he was right there for the Babe Ruth "called shot" making him the only Cub player photographed from the back all season from the looks of it! The odd part is he wore 7 that first year with numbers and then wore 9 or 2 for the last 9 years of his career, so "7" isn't really "his" number traditionally.

It's kind of strange to see how players adapted to wearing numbers back in the beginning while researching this jersey. For example Stan Hack, your #12 all time Cub, wore #31, #49, #34, #39, #39 and #6 for the first six seasons with numbers and then added #20 and #25 after six years with #6(!) only to change back to #6 for the last three years of his career. That's 7 numbers in 16 years and 5 different in his first 6. :wacko:

This is meaningless, but that photo I found was right after Hartnett's most famous home run in Cubs history. I'd say that's a good choice, no matter what number you pick. Hell, might as well go with "6" cause he's the 6th best Cub of all time. :D

• 5 years later...

Archived