Uniform Oddities

oakland ehs

I can't find a thread for this, so I figured I'd make it.

Post photos of odd things you see that are out of place in the sports uniform world... wrong hats, wrong patches, etc. Of course there's the obvious ones like when Craig Biggio wore the Houston jersey instead of the Astros jersey (or was it the other way around?), but we're all uniform nerds, I'm sure there's some better ones out there we haven't seen.

For example, I got to see a couple A's games this week while I'm on vacation, and when going through the pictures later I noticed this:

IMG_1129.jpg

Curt Young (48), the A's pitching coach, is wearing the cap with the Japan Series patch on it, which shouldn't have been donned on the field, well, since they left Japan.

That's mine... where's yours?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy in the background is wearing a late 1970s Bullets away uniform (blue shorts), while Elvin Hayes is in a home uniform (white shorts). This is clearly a Bullets home game as both Spurs players visble are wearing road uni's. The number & team name have been blurred off... not sure why. thoughts?

hayes.jpg

franchise.jpg

Isn't the story behind that one the Bullet in the inside/out jersey and blue shorts is playing on the Spurs but the uniform was lost for him so he played in that AGAINST the bullets?

I can't find the name of the guy, but the player (actually a Spur) is wearing an inside-out Bullets uni with their road shorts. His uniform was lost in a mix-up with the airline on the trip, and this was a makeshift loaner from the Bullets.

EDIT: Found a page from the Wizards' website with a snippet on this ...

Game 6, back on the Bullets' home court, proved to be the strangest game in the series, and perhaps the entire playoffs. First Spurs guard Mike Gale lost his uniform in a bag mix-up with the airline and was forced to wear a Washington road uniform turned inside-out. Then during the third quarter, just after San Antonio had taken a 62-61 lead, the Capital Centre lights went out for eight minutes. After the lights went back on, Washington emerged with a 103-100 victory to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Isn't the story behind that one the Bullet in the inside/out jersey and blue shorts is playing on the Spurs but the uniform was lost for him so he played in that AGAINST the bullets?

I can't find the name of the guy, but the player (actually a Spur) is wearing an inside-out Bullets uni with their road shorts. His uniform was lost in a mix-up with the airline on the trip, and this was a makeshift loaner from the Bullets.

EDIT: Found a page from the Wizards' website with a snippet on this ...

Game 6, back on the Bullets' home court, proved to be the strangest game in the series, and perhaps the entire playoffs. First Spurs guard Mike Gale lost his uniform in a bag mix-up with the airline and was forced to wear a Washington road uniform turned inside-out. Then during the third quarter, just after San Antonio had taken a 62-61 lead, the Capital Centre lights went out for eight minutes. After the lights went back on, Washington emerged with a 103-100 victory to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Wow! I had no idea the Spurs were in the Eastern Conference when they entered in the NBA.

I saw, I came, I left.

Watch a Bengals game and you will see every player it seems like has a different uniform cut. It's especially bad with their white jerseys.

That bugs me to no end, although I've noticed it more on the home jerseys, and especially with defensive lineman.

In recent years I've begun to notice discrepancies among different player's helmet stripes as well. It never used to be that way. Even with different helmet makes and models you had a uniform striping pattern. Now if you look at Chris perry the first three stripes are crammed together at the front of the helmet, but if you look at Carson Palmer his first three stripes are really far apart. That annoys me more than the jerseys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Watch a Bengals game and you will see every player it seems like has a different uniform cut. It's especially bad with their white jerseys.

That bugs me to no end, although I've noticed it more on the home jerseys, and especially with defensive lineman.

In recent years I've begun to notice discrepancies among different player's helmet stripes as well. It never used to be that way. Even with different helmet makes and models you had a uniform striping pattern. Now if you look at Chris perry the first three stripes are crammed together at the front of the helmet, but if you look at Carson Palmer his first three stripes are really far apart. That annoys me more than the jerseys.

I think that changed a couple of years ago when the Bengals switched to painted-on tiger stripes from decals.

Also, the Bengals were always one of the cheapest teams in the NFL and preferred to issue Riddell helmets - which they got at a discount since they were the "official helmet of the NFL". You would often see a player who had worn an Air Power (Bike/AHI/Schutt depending on the year) helmet elsewhere show up with a Riddell helmet as a Bengal. I guess they decided to appear less "cheap" since they moved into Paul Brown Stadium and they pretty much let a player wear what they want.

Hell, last year Chad Johnson wore 3 different helmets - a Schutt Pro Air II with a regular OPO; a Schutt Air Advantage with an extended OPO; and a Riddell Revolution.

This year Carson Palmer is using the new Schutt Air XP - at least he was in the game against the Packers - since Schutt has discontinued the Pro Air II.

Archived