PCL Oklahoma Redhawks name change

mfoster

Also, Dan Simon says the team referenced the Minnesota Twins cap as an example of the kind of "major league" quality they wanted in their uniforms. Not only is that hard to believe -- the Twins home cap must be considered among the worst in pro baseball for objective technical reasons -- but the Redhawks cap is much, much better than the Twins TC cap.

It sure is.

Even if you want to have the letters of different colors, the Twins' cap is easy to read as just a "T" because of the lack of sufficient contrast between the red C and navy background. Incomplete identity at distance.

With the new Redhawks logo, even if only the white letters pop (which I don't think will be the case, but just supposing), then you're left with "OK". Which works on its own.

Good design, there.

Substitute "Thunder" instead of "RedHawks" and you've automatically got something better for the NBA. Even a Hawk would be more relevant to "Thunder" than whatever the hell they have now.

Don't think the Atlanta Hawks would like that very much.

I think you have it backwards. He is saying use this logo (complete with a hawk mascot) for the Thunder.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

At second look, there's too much blue in the RedHawks primary logo. Also, everytime I look at it it reminds me of a fire station logo, even a little Boston Red Sox-ish. I like the redesign and agree with the above poster about the bat orientation in the Hawk logo.

Still way better than the thunder logo.

This blogger doesn't like it. haha

New RedHawks logo (the OKC one, not the bird) looks like a classic baseball logo, while the Thunder looks like NBA crud from about 15 years ago, and even worse than usual crud at that. Dumb name, even dumber logo. I wonder if the brain(?)trust behind the Thunder is trying to come up with a way to say "No, really, that's not our real logo, we were just kidding around."

Back on subject, I don't like the bird head much, but the OKC is so nice I don't mind.

At second look, there's too much blue in the RedHawks primary logo. Also, everytime I look at it it reminds me of a fire station logo, even a little Boston Red Sox-ish. I like the redesign and agree with the above poster about the bat orientation in the Hawk logo.

Still way better than the thunder logo.

This blogger doesn't like it. haha

I would imagine that RedHawks is named after the Red-tailed Hawk, a species of hawk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_Hawk

"Red-tailed Hawk plumage can be variable, depending on the subspecies and the region. These color variations are morphs, and are not related to molting.

The western North American population, B. j. calurus, is the most variable subspecies and has three color morphs: light, dark, and intermediate or rufous. The dark and intermediate morphs constitute 10?20% of the population.[3]

Though the markings and hue vary, the basic appearance of the Red-tailed Hawk is consistent. The underbelly is lighter than the back and a dark brown band across the belly, formed by vertical streaks in feather patterning, is present in most color variations. The red tail, which gives this species its name, is uniformly brick-red above and pink below.[4] The bill is short and dark, in the hooked shape characteristic of raptors.[4] The cere, the legs, and the feet of the Red-tailed Hawk are all yellow.[2]

Immature birds can be readily identified at close range by their yellowish irises. As the bird attains full maturity over the course of 3?4 years, the iris slowly darkens into a reddish-brown hue. In both the light and dark morphs, the tail of the immature Red-tailed Hawk are patterned with numerous darker bars."

Everyone loves a roundel.

72aVDwe9.gif

While they did a fantastic job with the cap logo, the hawk logo is terrible.

the Thunder looks like NBA crud from about 15 years ago

Great, now I can't stop thinking about 1990-91 and 1991-92 Skybox basketball cards.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I think the familiarity of the hawk head comes from the York Revolution logo.

Looks solid, though, and better than the letter-bird. Good, clean, traditional upgrade.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I think the familiarity of the hawk head comes from the York Revolution logo.

Also the Iowa Hawkeyes logo, and the Department of Homeland Security logo, and the Philadelphia Eagles logo, and the Great Seal of the United States, and, well, pretty much every logo ever made with a raptor's head in profile. There's just not a lot of new ground to be broken in the "simplified image of a raptor's head in profile" genre.

Which may be why the bat is stuck in there. The York Revolution and the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Department of Homeland Security hawk logos don't have bats in their beaks, do they? See, the Redhawks logo is too fresh and original.

That's why the hawk logo is the weak link here. See the Boise Hawks for an example of how to do a hawk identity without looking like every other raptor-themed logo in history.

20082614447.png

Archived