Buffalo Pro Hockey

buffaloprohockey

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok guys. let me explain what i can. i can not comment on the facts unfortunately, but this is a case of 2 former partners having a legal dispute over money and one of them making an accusation about another. i have and always will be upfront with everyone. that being said, i am putting a team in buffalo. people only want to tell bad news, and unfortunately my action against my former partner wont be printed because he is also the 4th largest employer in northern michigan. that being said, anyone who doesnt want to be involved, dont be. anyone who does, i welcome your work and support. joe

joe, thanks for being up front about this.....i read the messages on oursportscentral board and read the article in the paper.....i've always believed in 'innocent until proven guilty' and i see no reason to change that now.....you are bringing a great opportunity to our little community, and i certainly appreciate that and am proud to be what little part of it i am.

good luck with the hockey team and the legal crap too. thanks again, joe.

joel

Joe, thanks for stopping by to drop us a note.

We are glad to have an opportunity to do some designs for your team, and hopefully the project we have started on another thread, to redesign the other teams in the league can come to fruition as well.

Let us know if your status changes.

Thank you,

JR

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

well guys, the person on osc known as "hockeyfan" is my former partners 16 year old daughter. she knows nothing other than what her father told her. i dont know who the person is that posted that link here, but they are a new member and obviously trying to put a stop to this process. my status is simple, some charges were dismissed yesterday. the rest pertain to a lawsuit i filed against my former partner on march 1st. i cant say more, although believe me i wish i could. joe

More power to you Joe... like joel im all about the innocent till proven guilty... I admit once burned twice shy but thats stemming from UMlegend... im not in nitros or sterlings league but I do have shimmers of brilliance every once in awhile... lol... maybe I'll dust off my Illustrator and get something in action... and good luck with the legal stuff...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Just saw your win Sterling and had to tip my hat to you. Congratulations on your design. Excellent work and the win was well deserved.

Most Excellent Work!!! Congrats Streling

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Joe...

Kudos for being so up front with us as to come on-line and explain what you could about the situation. "Business is business" and it can often lead to misunderstandings. Based on your explanation, that would seem to be the case here. Hopefully, for everyone involved, the situation between you and your former partner will come to an amicable conclusion and it won't affect your efforts in Buffalo... or the efforts of CCSL Board designers to provide logos for NEHL clubs.

Brian in Boston

thanks guys, again, i am an open book. i am always available to talk to, and look forward t resolving any problems or questions. those that know me will tell you i am always upfront. the most unfortunate part of all this is that it may take a long time to get cleared up. in the mean time, full steam ahead, and i am off to buffalo tomarrow to wrap up our lease and do all the good press schmoozing. rumor has a team going into st. catherines next year, but you didnt hear it from me :rolleyes:

hey guys, I know this is all over and this is basically done and done. But like I said earlier, my computer was out of commission for about 5 days, and I did some sketches and started some stuff that I just wanted to finish for my own satisfaction. And I thought you may all like to see it regardless.

buf_concept_03.jpg

Clearly you see similarities in concept to Sterling's, as I think we were all headed in the same direction with this. I even used Sterlings rendering of the nose, as I think he nailed it dead on as to what it needs to be. The buffalo are more tame facially, which as we've discussed, may be a pro or con, depending on your opinion. But regardless, here it is for fun. Congrats Sterling, as always your work came out excellent. I still think that much of it is a bit too illustrated and not simplified enough to work perfectly as a logo, maybe thats my preference in style only.

Also to Joe, I respect the fact that you came forward so quickly with your side of the story on this ... clearly the truth will come free, and hopefully all will be righted.

hey guys, I know this is all over and this is basically done and done. But like I said earlier, my computer was out of commission for about 5 days, and I did some sketches and started some stuff that I just wanted to finish for my own satisfaction. And I thought you may all like to see it regardless.

buf_concept_03.jpg

Clearly you see similarities in concept to Sterling's, as I think we were all headed in the same direction with this. I even used Sterlings rendering of the nose, as I think he nailed it dead on as to what it needs to be. The buffalo are more tame facially, which as we've discussed, may be a pro or con, depending on your opinion. But regardless, here it is for fun. Congrats Sterling, as always your work came out excellent. I still think that much of it is a bit too illustrated and not simplified enough to work perfectly as a logo, maybe thats my preference in style only.

Also to Joe, I respect the fact that you came forward so quickly with your side of the story on this ... clearly the truth will come free, and hopefully all will be righted.

I also have some thoughts on this whole 'redesigning the NEHL' issue. I think its a great oppurtunity for the talented designers here, and the budding stars who are looking to get inspiration and learn about the process of others. BUT ... I think it can be detremental.

I am a designer by trade, and I think that compensation should be qualifiable for the designers working on these logos. Any team stands to make a very fair amount of money off of the work done by a graphic designer for a logo. I don't know how much you guys are aware of on the business side of this industry, but a professional sports team logo can go for as much 100k. Now ... this will include a great many things, such as focus group testing, but the payment is not dictated by time put in, and there certainly is not 'standard logo price' ... its dictated by many things, the first of which is size of the business (how much they stand to make off of your work). If you are doing a logo for the NY Yankees ... clearly they stand to make hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions off this logo, and you are to be paid accordingly. But the NEHL is fairly small time, and the size of any business always dictates billing for graphic designers.

With all that said, 500 dollars is a small time contest price, and although it truly does offer a good oppurtunity for the designers in this forum, I do not see it as fair compensation in any way whatsoever, and do not think it should be accepted as such. I just don't want to see you guys getting wide eyed and basically throwing your fantastic work away for free.

Also, I think for the entire league, holding these decisions to one man, or even 5 men is counterproductive for all. I think its great that there is much collaboration happening here, but the final logo should be selected by quality perceived by many, not just those of us on this board, and not just one man sitting on the committee. This is what focus groups are about, this is what product testing is about. This should never be the defining factor in selection, but it should however play a big role.

js makes some very valid points, and I'd hate to ever see a designer's value diminished because he or others are giving away designs for free. If, by some chance, the concepts (the reality is, that's all they are at this point) do lead to something real, then obviously there could be problems.

However, I think that any of the designs posted here are well-documented, and are somewhat well-protected in the event of unauthorized use. I would hope that if anyone's designs are accepted by the respective teams or the league, that the designer is compensated for his work.

Considerng all of the logo and uniform concepts that get posted here without hope of ever being used, and the fact that this community has essentially taken on this project without direction from any of the other teams or the league, I'm comfortable with this project going forward as a community-wide brainstorm session, just as long as everyone is aware of the reality of what's going on.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Hey Joe, I'm wondering how the announcement went at the game yesterday. I had a couple friends that went to the game, but unfortunately they showed up about 20 minutes late, so they missed any pregame stuff.

Just curious how it all went.

well guys, time to annouce our winner.  Sterling has won our contest for the Buffalo Stampede.  We will be announcing this at a press conference in buffalo on monday night at the sabres - columbus game.  Thank you all who worked so hard and submittedyour ideas.  This was a great experience for me.  Usually when you go to a message board you expect very little.  Thank you so much for exceeding my expectations!  joe kolodziej

Great work Sterling84. You really have what it takes to be a designer. :notworthy:

I can't wait to see what Snoop Dog looks like wearing this one! :D:D:D

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have some bad news guys. The owner of the Stampede has been arrested on charges of identity fraud, fraudulent computer access, unauthorized credit application and providing false statements. I'd post the whole article from the paper, but the problem is the stupid paper charges to use their online site. So, I am gonna scan it soon and paste it here. Also, the league isn't in too good shape right now, so I don't know if I would waste my time working on logos for a league I believe will go belly up next year.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Archived