Now That Matt Millen Is Gone

njb513

the gray should be darker. take the black out of the uniform.

with a lion instead of bull, of course.

315.jpg

a lion logo similar to this broncos logo. less detail than the two below but more than what they have now and only a head shot.

bronco-maroon.jpg

these two are more detailed lions than what they have. would be nice on the helmet without the font

lions_logo_44uu.gif

S14_Lions_logo.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the gray should be darker.

No it shouldn't. The colors are Honolulu blue and silver. This should be non-negotiable.

C'mon guys...it's not like they've never tweaked the Honolulu Blue:

From 1934 through 1964 (with the exception of the 1948 season, where they experimented with Scarlet and Black unis), the Blue was this:

DetroitLionsBlue_1964_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Then, for the 1965 through 1979 seasons, they darkened it to this:

DetroitLionsBlue_1979_SOL_SRGB.jpg

In 1980 through 1996 it went back to its original color:

DetroitLionsBlue_1996_SOL_SRGB.jpg

(to be continued in my next post)

Continued...

Then, in the 1997 through 2001 seasons, they went to a completely different color:

DetroitLionsBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.jpg

And, in 2002 they settled in on a color that - to me anyway - almost resembles a Teal:

DetroitLionsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

If the Honolulu Blue isn't "untouchable", I don't see why everything else in their color scheme couldn't be as well.

If they want to follow a successful Detroit team, they should:

1. Immediately change their uniforms to teal, black, yellow, and red. Adopt ridiculous wordmark and number font.

2. Introduce red alternate jersey. Continue to mix teal with red until fans can't take it any more and call for the classic look to come back.

3. Introduce modernized blue and silver uniform, with custom number font. Win Super Bowl.

4. During game with Colts, start a fight that spills into the crowd, where Peyton Manning and John Kitna kick the heck out of a few fans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting... I thought they had been as inconsistent with their blues as Dallas. Didn't realize it was only 1997 when they went with -- to my eye -- light blue. But I guess as Dallas got darker... the Lions at least looked lighter.

Anyway, it seems that the Lions would be a franchise that -- like the Royals and, to a lesser extent, the Reds -- will eventually ditch the black. I don't actually mind the black jersey. It's the forced outlines that look like someone just traced onto the classic jerseys that messed it up so bad in my mind

the gray should be darker.

No it shouldn't. The colors are Honolulu blue and silver. This should be non-negotiable.

C'mon guys...it's not like they've never tweaked the Honolulu Blue:

True, but that's no reason to continue. The Lions have had the same basic colors for 75 years. The fight song has said, "and when the blue and silver wave..." since the late 1930s. Gray isn't silver.

I wish they would standardize the blue, and stick with it. My vote is for the original, which as Colorwerx states has appeared for 46 of the club's 75 years.

From 1934 through 1964 (with the exception of the 1948 season, where they experimented with Scarlet and Black unis), the Blue was this:

DetroitLionsBlue_1964_SOL_SRGB.jpg

In 1980 through 1996 it went back to its original color:

DetroitLionsBlue_1996_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Now THAT is "Honolulu Blue".

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Both the LMU and Canterbury Lions above are dramatically better than the existing Lions logo, which is in turn, better than the throwback one.

roaring-lion.gif

Texas A&M Commerce is better too

Better than what? Certainly not the existing Lions logo.

THe A&M Commerce logo is barely better than what my dog laid at the park this morning.

tame-05-hdr.jpg

True, but that's no reason to continue. The Lions have had the same basic colors for 75 years. The fight song has said, "and when the blue and silver wave..." since the late 1930s. Gray isn't silver.

A lot of teams use a flat, non-metallic Gray and call it Silver. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

However, there are a couple of "blended" Pantone Metallic colors that are a bit darker than the standard 877 C that they could use as well.

1. Immediately change their uniforms to teal, black, yellow, and red. Adopt ridiculous wordmark and number font.

2. Introduce red alternate jersey. Continue to mix teal with red until fans can't take it any more and call for the classic look to come back.

3. Introduce modernized blue and silver uniform, with custom number font. Win Super Bowl.

4. During game with Colts, start a fight that spills into the crowd, where Peyton Manning and John Kitna kick the heck out of a few fans.

The brawl was almost four years ago and the change to teal was twelve years ago.

The brawl was almost four years ago and the change to teal was twelve years ago.

At least it's a refreshing change from outsiders bringing up events of a World Series 24 years ago, and race riots 40 years back.

Archived