Ravens uniforms

seahawk9

CW:

I have no idea why they are not listed in the style guide. Like the Seattle green jerseys and the navy pants and the jags teal pants and the Browns brown pants (since worn), I have no idea why they are not listed. You'd have to pose that question to Properties.

As for other things that have been speculated on this board - from the Bengals black helmet w/ orange stripes, etc. only the Seattle and Baltimore sets exist.

BTW, if you remember a while back on eBay someone sold a neon green helmet with Seattle logos on it. The seller admitted he made the helmet up from scratch. I know of no other new helmet design being worked on at the moment.

As for being Roger Goodell, I wish I made his money.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CW:

I have no idea why they are not listed in the style guide. Like the Seattle green jerseys and the navy pants and the jags teal pants and the Browns brown pants (since worn), I have no idea why they are not listed. You'd have to pose that question to Properties.

As for other things that have been speculated on this board - from the Bengals black helmet w/ orange stripes, etc. only the Seattle and Baltimore sets exist.

BTW, if you remember a while back on eBay someone sold a neon green helmet with Seattle logos on it. The seller admitted he made the helmet up from scratch. I know of no other new helmet design being worked on at the moment.

As for being Roger Goodell, I wish I made his money.

The Jaguars' Teal pants, and the Browns' Brown pants ARE listed in the Style Guide, and have been for a number of seasons.

When changes are made to the Style Guide, NFL Properties usually puts out an announcement about it.

If these items actually exist - how are you so sure that they are not just prototypes or experiments? I'm sure that equipment managers and graphic designers put together stuff like that all the time; doesn't make them official.

I'd like you to explain your definition of "official".

Colorwerx:

Unless you work for the league, you wouldn't know . . .

Let's leave it at that.

You mean to tell me the NFL does not incorporate everything into its own style guide? :blink:

ColorWerx is known to have access to the official and current style guide. What he says is "Word of God" in regards to current NFL uniform sets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Colorwerx:

Unless you work for the league, you wouldn't know . . .

Let's leave it at that.

You mean to tell me the NFL does not incorporate everything into its own style guide? :blink:

ColorWerx is known to have access to the official and current style guide. What he says is "Word of God" in regards to current NFL uniform sets.

I am certainly NOT a "Word of God" here or anywhere else.

I was being sincere in my questions to Panthers...not sarcastic. I don't claim to have all of the answers, but based on the knowledge I DO have, I certainly question some of the claims Panthers has made. He (I'm assuming "he") has made some claims that is in conflict what what I know, but that doesn't mean I think that he is automatically wrong.

Like I said, I don't know everything, nor do I assume that people who make claims in conflict with my own opinions are invalid.

'Nuff said.

Folks:

I took Seattle's stuff off of photobucket. As for the style guide and prototypes, you'd have to pose that question, again, to Properties. The Ravens' set and Seahawks' set are very much part of Properties. Are they prototypes? Maybe yes and maybe no. They do exist at the NFL and they do exist with Properties. I know Seattle asked for a workup of a third jersey when fans asked the Seahawks for it. That was two years ago. Why its not in the style guide I have no idea. I don't know the story on the Baltimore pants set. That's all I can tell you without jeopardizing myself or my position. And we'll leave it at that.

I'm not here to cast aspersions or point fingers or discredit information. I'm telling you what I know, plain and simple.

In all fairness Panther, ColorWerx (I still prefer PANTONE) has been around for a while and is generally correct. So when you say something like "Unless you work at the league you don't know, and let's leave it at that," many people like myself take you for being a d*ck and take ColorWerx for being correct. I'm saying your wrong, you could be the messiah of NFL info for all I know, but don't it personally, people just trust ColorWerx, no big.

You know what, with Del Rio trying to build the Jaguars in the image of the Steelers, going to strictly black and gold may be a savvy, if transparent, move in that direction. It also addresses the fact that teal is derided as an outmoded '90s color. I think there's something to be said for the Jaguars emphasizing black, gold, then teal (or maybe a different shade of blue or green), in that order, to further move from the '90s expansion identity. Maybe they could go with an updated take on the old Bengals uniforms, with jaguar spots in place of tiger stripes.

But you shouldn't comment on what you don't know.

Careful, let's not shut down the Internet here!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tell you what Panthers....you wouldn't happen to have some Ram throwback prototypes, would you? Since all I hear about them is that they blew the deadline for this year, not that they haven't been designed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know what, with Del Rio trying to build the Jaguars in the image of the Steelers, going to strictly black and gold may be a savvy, if transparent, move in that direction. It also addresses the fact that teal is derided as an outmoded '90s color. I think there's something to be said for the Jaguars emphasizing black, gold, then teal (or maybe a different shade of blue or green), in that order, to further move from the '90s expansion identity. Maybe they could go with an updated take on the old Bengals uniforms, with jaguar spots in place of tiger stripes.

...And in doing so, they'll be zapping themselves of any visual and aesthetic uniqueness they currently have.

Okay, sure, teal was a "90s fad color"...but if there was one team who really made it work, it was the Jaguars. Those of us who've followed that team from its infancy know it as teal. I know teams have changed up colors more frequently in more recent years. I can only imagine how Broncos fans felt right after that '96 switch to navy over the old pastel blue--probably the same way I felt in '97 right after my Buccaneers unveiled their full new look (even though I knew a change was coming)--that one took some time to grow on me, but it did eventually.

Here's another thing about that original point: while I can't say for sure that Del Rio is trying to old the Jags into specifically the Steelers South, if it is true, then here's my question: why on EARTH would you want your team to emulate the visual identity of your fiercest rival of recent years? That makes no sense to me. I'd think they'd like to retain their visual uniqueness and, at least to me (and a specific isle-redising Jaguar lover), appeal.

(Lost in all this is that if the Jags DO phase out teal--which I'm still hoping like hell that they DON'T--then we'll have what amounts to the look of a black-domed Saints team in the Duval.)

Can you tell I really like the teal and hope it NEVER goes away? If anything, the Ravens are the team that would be more sensible in implementing more black.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

why on EARTH would you want your team to emulate the visual identity of your fiercest rival of recent years? That makes no sense to me. I'd think they'd like to retain their visual uniqueness and, at least to me (and a specific isle-redising Jaguar lover), appeal.

I don't know if that's what Del Rio is up to either, but I do know that Steelers merchandise sells way better than Jaguars merchandise does, nationwide. This wouldn't be the first time that a team tried to copy the identity of a team that sells more jerseys, hats, etc.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

why on EARTH would you want your team to emulate the visual identity of your fiercest rival of recent years? That makes no sense to me. I'd think they'd like to retain their visual uniqueness and, at least to me (and a specific isle-redising Jaguar lover), appeal.

I don't know if that's what Del Rio is up to either, but I do know that Steelers merchandise sells way better than Jaguars merchandise does, nationwide. This wouldn't be the first time that a team tried to copy the identity of a team that sells more jerseys, hats, etc.

Are you serious? Two ridiculous points.

A. The reason Steeler merchandise sells is because they are the Steelers. It isn't because black and gold is a popular combo.

B. You are blaming Del Rio on a decision that a NFL head coach does not make. You really think a NFL coach decides how the team will look for the sake of merchandise???? do you????? for real???

Yeah, teal is a 90's color, so what? They were born in the 90's. It fits them. Why change? really, whats the point? I am with Brandon on this. What a stupid notion to change a unique color in the league to a bland one because teal was once considered "trendy". It isn't like their colors were blue and gold since the 30's. Here comes the 90's, lets go teal! Nope, not at all. Makes no sense what some are you are saying. Very frustrating.

Are you serious? Two ridiculous points.

A. The reason Steeler merchandise sells is because they are the Steelers. It isn't because black and gold is a popular combo.

B. You are blaming Del Rio on a decision that a NFL head coach does not make. You really think a NFL coach decides how the team will look for the sake of merchandise???? do you????? for real???

All I said was it's a possibility. And coaches have had an influence on changing a team's identity in the past...Parcells did it with the Patriots in 1993 and the Jets in 1998. All he really had to do in 1993 was change the jersey from red to blue...but he went and added silver too. I'm not saying it was done purely for financial reasons, since silver and blue is pretty popular, but it is something to consider. The Jets change in 1998 certainly improved merchandise sales since the semi-throwback style was more popular than the "Just End The Season" look.

Jerry Glanville, the Falcons coach, changed the primary color from red to black partly because he wanted to emulate the Raiders...who also sold a lot more merchandise than the Falcons.

The Pittsburgh Penguins changed to Steelers colors in 1980, after the Steelers won their 4th Super Bowl. Sure it's the same city, but it certainly didn't hurt their bottom line! B)

Yeah, teal is a 90's color, so what? They were born in the 90's. It fits them. Why change? really, whats the point? I am with Brandon on this. What a stupid notion to change a unique color in the league to a bland one because teal was once considered "trendy". It isn't like their colors were blue and gold since the 30's. Here comes the 90's, lets go teal! Nope, not at all. Makes no sense what some are you are saying. Very frustrating.

Most of the teams that joined the 'teal craze' of the 1990s eventually sobered up and dropped the teal altogether, or at least minimized it: Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies, etc.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

That may very well be the case, but the Steelers still have a very striking visual identity, even with it being compromised by those wispy italic numbers.

Here's another thing about that original point: while I can't say for sure that Del Rio is trying to old the Jags into specifically the Steelers South, if it is true, then here's my question: why on EARTH would you want your team to emulate the visual identity of your fiercest rival of recent years? That makes no sense to me. I'd think they'd like to retain their visual uniqueness and, at least to me (and a specific isle-redising Jaguar lover), appeal.

That's a very good point, and I could agree with you there: look how diametrically opposed the Raiders and Chiefs are. The Chiefs are clean-cut with bright colors, the Raiders are rough-edged in silver and black. Still, the impression I got from what Del Rio has done is that he's trying to out-Steeler the Steelers, and that's an fascinating--albeit daunting--assignment from both visual and football-ops standpoints, a move that I have to applaud.

Here's an idea: remember that really vivid "jungle green" color from our old Crayola 64 boxes? 96 if we were really serious about our coloring? That's what the Jags should evolve their teal into.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm sure if the Steelers changed their colors to pink and brown tomorrow they would still be in the top 5 of NFL teams in merchandise sold.... :rolleyes:

If the Steelers had built up their tradition wearing pink and brown, then yes. That tradition is part of what drives merchandise sales, so swapping the colors now would indeed hurt them to some extent.

Sometimes, it is about the team and not the colors by themselves. After all, in what other context are green and yellow two of the most best-selling colors? :D

Archived