Blackouts getting a little EXCESSIVE!

GoDawgs08

This whole "Blackout" deal has really gone way over the top. It was cool for Georgia to do it, and it is cool when Penn State wears white, which is always and it looks awesome. But it seems like team after team are throwin on black jerseys just for the sake of "blacking out"

Maryland was actually the first team do throw a blackout, if i can recall...a few years back. I saw the likes of Georgia, Tennessee State, and Middle Tennessee State do blackouts this week. MTSU? Really? I turned on the tv and couldnt beleive it. And Tennessee State is blue and red, but they didnt hesitate to make a random black jersey. Now it seems like high schools are being clever and doing them, but this weekend...I know have 5 different "high school style blackouts" i can attend!!!! HURRAY BLACKOUTS!!

Its cool to see teams coordinate with their fans. Auburn went all navy blue last weekend (well they tried)..Georgia definitely becomes the "black hole". Oregon State did an "orange out". We definitely are starting to see coordination. It seems like whatever jersey color is on the field, its in the stands...and thats neat.

But too many teams have black jerseys. And its a little rediculous. Heres a list of every team with black jerseys (as an alternate)in the FBS.

FSU

Maryland

Miami(FL) - apparently

Texas Tech

Cincinnatti

L'Ville

Rutgers

UCF- if they still exist, last saw them in 2006

Utah

Oregon

Georgia

South Carolina

MTSU

thats twelve

also, dont be suprised if you see black shirts from these teams in the future:

Duke

Kansas State

Oklahoma State

Northwestern

Memphis

UAB

Ball State

Miami OH

UNLV

Stanford

North Texas

(no speculation here, or facts, just an educated guess of the teams who would)

Fsu could go gold, Miami already has an alternate, Oregon you too!

AND DONT EVEN ALLOW ME TO GET INTO HOW MANY BASKETBALL TEAMS HAVE RANDOM BLACK THREADS!!

UCF doesn't have black jerseys anymore just white and gold. I've heard of UCF doing "gold rush" and "white outs", but no "black outs"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha. As I'm catching up on this thread, I'm watching Purdue-Penn State, and the announcers, back from commercial, show Purdue fans buying black tees because they're having a blackout, and showed clips from last week when Penn State had a whiteout at home at night. And commented how Paterno said that works better at night than when you have an earlier game, such as this one. And the announcers were commenting on whiteouts at home where you traditionally wear you're dark jerseys, which Penn St. still wore they're navy jerseys. But Purdue has it right, because it's black at home. They were kinda friendly disagreeing back and forth on the subject. The timing was just perfect coinciding with reading this thread.

BTW, Purdue is still wearing gold pants so it's not a monochrome blackout.

Ha. As I'm catching up on this thread, I'm watching Purdue-Penn State, and the announcers, back from commercial, show Purdue fans buying black tees because they're having a blackout, and showed clips from last week when Penn State had a whiteout at home at night. And commented how Paterno said that works better at night than when you have an earlier game, such as this one. And the announcers were commenting on whiteouts at home where you traditionally wear you're dark jerseys, which Penn St. still wore they're navy jerseys. But Purdue has it right, because it's black at home. They were kinda friendly disagreeing back and forth on the subject. The timing was just perfect coinciding with reading this thread.

BTW, Purdue is still wearing gold pants so it's not a monochrome blackout.

Purdue has switched a lot of their non-white jerseys to black (football and basketball, plus others). This wasn't a big promotion since they are wearing their normal uniforms. The student section shirts have been black since they changed the jerseys from gold to black. The announcers were making a big deal out of nothing. Every year they try to get the non-students at the game to wear more black since it seems to be equally divided between black/gold amongst parents/alumni/fans.

I am just trying to defend my alma mater from being thrown in with the ridiculousness of the blackout craze. Black jerseys and black shirts for the student section happens every week.

I am as tired as anyone of the black alt jersey mania especially that is not part of a teams normal color scheme. The MTSU unis were horrible. But black is a team color at OK State so i would not object to noe be surprised to see them adding one.

I sincerely doubt that new Duke Coach David Cutcliffe will add a black alt.

And my struggling White Sox are hoping to pull another win out like the tiebreaker game and are having another fan blackout as they hope to avoid elimination. No black towels for the fans this time, ther are passing out white ones. I presume the Sox will wear the Sunday Black alt jersey this time.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

RobbyBox2.jpg

I don't understand what's imposing about making the stadium appear empty. The whiteout is effective because it's bright and loud. White adds; black takes away. Just like finding pants to make you look thinner.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Otherwilds, I'm not so sure the Sox will wear black. They didn't for the first blackout on Tuesday, which seemed strange to me until I remembered that they had won the past two home games in pinstripes. Not sure how their win-lose jersey-switch system works across road trips, but my guess is that they won 3 games against 3 different teams at home in white, so white will be the choice Sunday no matter what the PR dept has the fans wear.

And Admiral, I agree that blackouts arenkt as effective as bright colors. I blame ESPN. They made such a big deal for several days over the Georgia blackout that it must have lit several PR lightbulbs (who conveniently ignored the Bulldogs on-field result).

Not sure why this suddenly got so much attention, since as many have mentioned there are a lot of long-standing traditions out there.

My fear is this will spark a second black-uni era (and maybe end the double blue one?)

(put your color here)-outs IMO are good for the fans and the team. I mean don't you get excited when they rename a game (color)-out. In fact for homecoming on October whatever the Ducks are having a "yellow out" which should be fun. I don't normally wear yellow on the outside but I'll do it this time.

I dont think Miami has a black alternate. ive only seen the green alternate. But that would be cool if they came out with a black one.

No it wouldn't.

Although I am indifferent to what color Miami wears, the fans of the teams are a big part of the reason that schools would allow the black/white/etc. outs. IMO Black can be a dark neutral color just as white is a light neutral color. The fans obviously like it and many DO think it is cool, because these schools convince upwards of 80,000+ fans to wear the colors with little more effort than a small post on a school website. Just because some/many people do not like black, there are some/many people that do like it. I think that one sides input is just as important as the other, and personally don't like to see what is perceived as a minority viewpoint shot down without an honest and open review of how they feel. It seems like recently it has become the norm for only agreeable post to be acceptable. I apologize if this is perceived as a rant, but I personally enjoy reading this forum and reading opposing views.

Looks like my alma mater is joining in on the black out fun: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=8257...3501&ref=mf

I'm glad I won't be there. First they take away the traditional red and black helmets, and now we have black jerseys.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The White Sox are promoting "black out" for all playoff games right now. Here's the best pics I could find:

12d1ca32-61ee-4258-b429-75dad06f4ec4.jpg

2dcd99f9-6c31-4110-b9eb-40375c4ce64b.jpg

I agree with the original post that these things are gimmicky and losing their luster to overuse. But, I also have to admit that they usually look great on television and even better in person. The Houston Rockets campaign this season is "GET RED" which asks fans to wear red to every game. All other promotions this year involve wordplay with "red".

Get Red! and Red and Rowdy! are two promotions. The swanky bar/restaurant on the club level is the Red & White bar and the website references to insider information as "club red". The Rockets are making a massive push to become the NBA's "red team".

Blackouts when black isn't a real team color is pretty lame. But fans should wear the team's primary color to games, whatever that may be. UNC fans are always encouraged to wear Carolina blue to games, but last year they mixed things up by having the student section (recently dubbed the Tar Pit) wear navy, which made the stadium look like a giant tar heel. I would love this to become a permanent tradition in Kenan Stadium.

Archived