Blackouts getting a little EXCESSIVE!

GoDawgs08

This whole "Blackout" deal has really gone way over the top. It was cool for Georgia to do it, and it is cool when Penn State wears white, which is always and it looks awesome. But it seems like team after team are throwin on black jerseys just for the sake of "blacking out"

Maryland was actually the first team do throw a blackout, if i can recall...a few years back. I saw the likes of Georgia, Tennessee State, and Middle Tennessee State do blackouts this week. MTSU? Really? I turned on the tv and couldnt beleive it. And Tennessee State is blue and red, but they didnt hesitate to make a random black jersey. Now it seems like high schools are being clever and doing them, but this weekend...I know have 5 different "high school style blackouts" i can attend!!!! HURRAY BLACKOUTS!!

Its cool to see teams coordinate with their fans. Auburn went all navy blue last weekend (well they tried)..Georgia definitely becomes the "black hole". Oregon State did an "orange out". We definitely are starting to see coordination. It seems like whatever jersey color is on the field, its in the stands...and thats neat.

But too many teams have black jerseys. And its a little rediculous. Heres a list of every team with black jerseys (as an alternate)in the FBS.

FSU

Maryland

Miami(FL) - apparently

Texas Tech

Cincinnatti

L'Ville

Rutgers

UCF- if they still exist, last saw them in 2006

Utah

Oregon

Georgia

South Carolina

MTSU

thats twelve

also, dont be suprised if you see black shirts from these teams in the future:

Duke

Kansas State

Oklahoma State

Northwestern

Memphis

UAB

Ball State

Miami OH

UNLV

Stanford

North Texas

(no speculation here, or facts, just an educated guess of the teams who would)

Fsu could go gold, Miami already has an alternate, Oregon you too!

AND DONT EVEN ALLOW ME TO GET INTO HOW MANY BASKETBALL TEAMS HAVE RANDOM BLACK THREADS!!

temp.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will post my standard rant on black alternates.

Honestly, black alts say one thing and one thing only. "We are wearing black because we are trying to be fierce and intimidating like the Oakland Raiders. Except we aren't. And chipmunks are more intimidating than Oakland nowadays. Oh well, please still fear us." Investing in a black alt, especially without prior use of it in uniforms, is the uniform equivalent of investing in artificial enhancements for your "package". It's not nearly as effective as you would think.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I will post my standard rant on black alternates.

Honestly, black alts say one thing and one thing only. "We are wearing black because we are trying to be fierce and intimidating like the Oakland Raiders. Except we aren't. And chipmunks are more intimidating than Oakland nowadays. Oh well, please still fear us." Investing in a black alt, especially without prior use of it in uniforms, is the uniform equivalent of investing in artificial enhancements for your "package". It's not nearly as effective as you would think.

I think that should stand for black jerseys in general. Teams shouldn't be wearing black jerseys - especially when there are all those other colors out there!

LvZYtbZ.png

Missouri is having a blackout against Kansas State.

November 8th. I'ma be at the game along with all my siblings, siblings-in-law and cousins. $52 a ticket and it's gonna kick some major @$$. Gotta get me the black jersey. :woot::woot:

But a Mizzou blackout isn't as bad. Their colors are black, home uniforms are all black, and most fans wear black anyway.

In my stand point, if the team has black in its regular color template --- such as McCall's Mizzou Tigers, the Iowa Hawkeyes, or the Red Raiders of Texas Tech --- that's something I don't mind seeing. In fact, it's fun to see teams, student bodies, and fans color coordinate for a big rivalry game. It pumps up the fanbase, the community, and the team itself. Well, unless they get too excited and fall in a 31 point hole by halftime. Oops, I think I got a few nerves there.

Getting back to the point, it's folks like Middle Tennessee State or the Texas Longhorns, who have no black in their traditional colors (And accent colors don't count, gosh darnit!) to have these "black outs". For the Blue Raiders, they should have a "All-Blue game" against a rival from the Sun Belt Conference...they're Blue Raiders, am I correct? Or...to see Burnt Orange on one side of the Cotton Bowl while you observe Crimson on the other side, which usually happens go perfectly with the Red River Rivalry. Am I right? Hope so.

All in all, in my humble-pie honest opinion, yes to color coordination with your fanbase for rivalry/special games and no to "black outs" because your team would look cool in black.

My thing on this, is that it's cool when a school and it's fan base color coordinate, but to bring out a black jersey for the sake of being cool... is so uncool, it makes you look like that know it all kid, who wears the latest new band t-shirt. Yes, you've always been annoying and you just proved it by trying to be "cool". Penn State is cool because they've always done it, and whatever other schools have done it. Georgia, even thought black is in their color scheme, looks like the bunch of morons that the football team played like this past Saturday. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. As far as other schools that it was mentioned could possibly have blackouts, Duke and Stanford won't. Why, because both football teams ditched black all together in their uniforms, so even though it use to be on their uniforms, there won't be blackouts with the current coaching staffs.

Black is not an alternate for Cincinnati. It is their designated home jersey. If anything, RED is the alternate, and while Brian Kelly is the UC coach, I don't think that you'll ever see them for a home game.

South Carolina has been doing it since the 80's...the whole "Black Magic" that came with coach Joe Morrison and all...as well as the garnetout when we had the "Fireant Defense". We lay some claim to it and have been doing blackouts ever since.

Yeah, now my high school is trying it for homecoming. We are blue and gold, so no black jerseys, but they want the whole stadium to be wearing black. It's gonna be really strange to have a blackout with no black jersey.

But, were getting one next year. :mad: It's supposed to be unsymmetrical too.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Yeah, now my high school is trying it for homecoming. We are blue and gold, so no black jerseys, but they want the whole stadium to be wearing black. It's gonna be really strange to have a blackout with no black jersey.

That's funny because the players on my high school team want to get black jerseys too. We are red and blue, though. But the quarterback of the team sits at my Art Class table and he was talking about how they have been asking the coach repeatedly to get black jerseys. Even the cheerleaders have a black uniform now so is shouldn't be far off. Ugh.

This whole "Blackout" deal has really gone way over the top. It was cool for Georgia to do it, and it is cool when Penn State wears white, which is always and it looks awesome. But it seems like team after team are throwin on black jerseys just for the sake of "blacking out"

I have no problem with Georgia having blackouts. It's better than back in the 1950s, when they had "blacks out."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's funny because the players on my high school team want to get black jerseys too. We are red and blue, though. But the quarterback of the team sits at my Art Class table and he was talking about how they have been asking the coach repeatedly to get black jerseys. Even the cheerleaders have a black uniform now so is shouldn't be far off. Ugh.

Yeah it was cool when Georgia did it Last Year against Auburn, but it didnt work this year against my "overatted" Alabama, cuz we had a white out, lol

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Black is not an alternate for Cincinnati. It is their designated home jersey. If anything, RED is the alternate, and while Brian Kelly is the UC coach, I don't think that you'll ever see them for a home game.

Red is thier alternate, the players wore them on media day, cuz its on the uni watch blog on espn

Which is sad because we haven't worn red alts since Gino Guidugli was our Quarterback.

Onthe subject of blackouts, last year my HS did one, but we don't wear black either, it was pretty stupid. Last night Marshall had a whiteout, but they were wearing their green jerseys, while Cincinnati was wearing all white.

Yeah it was cool when Georgia did it Last Year against Auburn, but it didnt work this year against my "overatted" Alabama, cuz we had a white out, lol

You can stop gloating now, we all know Alabama won; I have gotten over it, maybe you should, too. Worry about this week, and not last week. You never know when an undefeated school is going to have an off-week.

You can stop gloating now, we all know Alabama won; I have gotten over it, maybe you should, too. Worry about this week, and not last week. You never know when an undefeated school is going to have an off-week.

Sorry, I just had too :D but trust me, Im frekkin bout this week, cuz Florida got shocked by Ole Miss and Im afriad the same thing is gonna happen with Bama-Kentucky

Archived