Avon Frontier League Team Unveils Five Nickname Finalists

Burmy

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/200...ws/mj150261.txt

Avon picks top choices for new pro team name

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:11 AM EDT

By ALAN INGRAM

aingram@MorningJournal.com

AVON ? Baseball fans now have an idea of who they'll root, root, root for when they head out to a ball game in Avon next summer.

The list of possible names for the Frontier League team that will begin play in Avon next year is down to five ? the Ohio Groove, the Lorain County Ironmen, the Avon Red Tails, the Cleveland Artichokes and the Lake Erie Crushers. Fans can vote for the team name at www.avonprobaseball.com beginning this morning. An end date for the contest has not yet been determined, said Nicolle Meyer, director of Community and Media Relations for Avon Professional Baseball. The Morning Journal is sponsoring the Name the Team Contest.

"The community's response has been incredible," APB General Manager Ryan Gates said in a press release. "Fans put a lot of thought into their entries. Not only were many of the names extremely creative, but fans also took the time to explain the name's significance to the region, providing valuable insight in to the history and culture of the area that we can incorporate into our overall brand. Thanks to the wide pool of names, we were able to select the very best of the best."

The initial phase of the naming contest drew 817 entries, Meyer said. There were some entries that repeated, even when it came to the finalists.

While only one person suggested the Ohio Groove and Cleveland Artichokes, two people suggested the Lake Erie Crushers, four people suggested the Avon Red Tails and five people suggested the Lorain County Ironmen.

According to information from Avon Professional Baseball, the Ohio Groove name symbolizes Cleveland's rock and roll history and the glacial grooves at Kelleys Island. The Lake Erie Crushers recognizes the vineyards in Lorain County and crushing grapes to make wine.

The Avon Red Tails name is in honor of the red tail hawk that is around Lorain County and near the team's new stadium at Interstate 90 and SR 611. The Lorain County Ironmen name would recognize Lorain County's industrial history.

The name Cleveland Artichokes symbolizes that the area has soil that is good for growing vegetables.

The committee that selected the finalists' names included the team's front office staff and the owners' family and children. Input was also gathered from local community members and organizations, Meyer said.

"The winner is going to receive a fantastic prize package of tickets and merchandise, and they will be recognized at a home game next summer," she said.

If the chosen name was suggested by more than one person, they will not all get a prize package, Meyer said. A random drawing was conducted, so only one person will get credit for the name.

Avon Professional Baseball hopes to unveil the results of the contest, as well as the logo, before Thanksgiving, she said. Plan B Branding will start design concepts for all five of the team name finalists.

Ohio Groove: Could work-great ties to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame

Lorain County Ironmen: So, is Robert Downey Jr. going to throw out the first pitch?

Avon Red Tails: Yes. If there's one type of mascot baseball loves, it's a bird.

Cleveland Artichokes: NO WAY. 1) That's a good way to get bypassed for the Indians, 2) I can see too many bad jokes being made about them

Lake Erie Crushers: Sorry, but the name explanation makes me think that the team will specialize on making the ball hit a certain spot (at that point, the opposing team could be called the Steers)

Your thoughts?

bYhYmxh.png

EDIT: Went to the team's website: found out you could actually choose which locality you want (Avon, Cleveland, Lorain County, Lake Erie, Ohio).

Also, there are two additional names:

Walleyes (This freshwater fish, native to the area, gets its name from the fact that their eyes, like those of cats, reflect light.)

Woollies (The Woollybear is the local caterpillar celebrated with much fanfare at the Woollybear Festival in Lorain County. In much the same way Punxsutawney Phil is celebrated in the century-old tradition of Groundhog Day in which he predicts the end of winter, the Woollybear Caterpillar is similarly celebrated for its mythical association to winter forecasting.)

Anybody else ready to root for the Lorain County Woollies?

bYhYmxh.png

Ohio Groove: Could work-great ties to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame

Lorain County Ironmen: So, is Robert Downey Jr. going to throw out the first pitch?

Avon Red Tails: Yes. If there's one type of mascot baseball loves, it's a bird.

Cleveland Artichokes: NO WAY. 1) That's a good way to get bypassed for the Indians, 2) I can see too many bad jokes being made about them

Lake Erie Crushers: Sorry, but the name explanation makes me think that the team will specialize on making the ball hit a certain spot (at that point, the opposing team could be called the Steers)

Your thoughts?

Ohio Groove - sounds like what Bernie Kosar should have renamed his Arena Football League team

Lorain County Ironmen - Pittsburgh and Birmingham are more known for iron and steel works, New Jersey Ironmen exist already in XSL

Avon Red Tails - Best of the five, baseball loves bird names

Cleveland Artichokes - HELL NO!!!

Lake Erie Crushers - naah, have had many a team named that already.

Guess they didn't like my Spiders nickname

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I'm all for the Red Tails or the Artichokes. Though "Let's Go Chokes!" would be a less than inspiring chant.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Avon Red Tails has to be the winner. Sounds classy...well classy for an indy minor league, at least.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

im pretty sure avon red tails makes a reference to the country club/golf course that is located in avon. it's a real nice area probably one of the most prostigious in the city of avon if thats safe to say. i really like the name.

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

I vote Avon Artichokes, just because I want to see what they could come up with logo-wise, and that would be an awesome mascot. He could be Artie the Artichoke. Or they could make him a chicken and he could be 'Choke the Chicken.

spacer.png

im pretty sure avon red tails makes a reference to the country club/golf course that is located in avon. it's a real nice area probably one of the most prostigious in the city of avon if thats safe to say. i really like the name.

I'm thinking that's why they named the Golf Course Red Tail, due to Red Tail Hawks living in the area (region). The Golf course could really benefit from marketing without doing much.

RedTailGolf

Archived