Was Matt Millen planning to go black?

Blue Falcon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
off topic but the lions looked pretty good in throwbacks today

c5c4a2d9-84df-426d-a6d9-b389fb42bf10.jpg

5c53190c-5f00-4e68-8cf0-dc48da3a0428.jpg

Are you saying their appearence was great? Agreed, but as a rule, the Lions never 'look great".

Know what's funny? The throwbacks are a huge deal here in Detroit... LOVED by a lot of fans. And, of course, the game was blacked out.

off topic but the lions looked pretty good in throwbacks today

Are you saying their appearence was great? Agreed, but as a rule, the Lions never 'look great".

Know what's funny? The throwbacks are a huge deal here in Detroit... LOVED by a lot of fans. And, of course, the game was blacked out.

They don't look good, they look FABOLOUS!

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Are they still going to wear those for Thanksgiving?

I like them once a year, but honestly, those aren't viable modern uniforms. All they have to do is go back to what they had before the black was added.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hold up...have the Lions' throwback helmets had black facemasks in the past?

If not...that's a big-time incongruency somebody need to fix before they wear these next time.

(What'd they do...strip off the Lion decal and the stripes from the players' current helmets or something?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

(What'd they do...strip off the Lion decal and the stripes from the players' current helmets or something?)

I believe they have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought with this look they'd always just taken the decals off the current helmets. Didn't these debut in the Honolulu-blue facemask era? I remember thinking that it didn't look truly 'throwback' because the facemask was still blue (albeit they looked good) as opposed to grey. Is this look supposed to be pre-hardshell helmet too (akin to the look the Cardinals, Bears and Steelers sported in 1994)? When a team's look predates helmets they usually just wear the current helmet minus the logos. That'd be my guess as to why they kept the black facemasks.

Well, if the other team isn't wearing matching throwbacks from the era, why does it matter? It's not about trying to re-create a specific period game in history, just an alternate set of uniforms for one club.

It's pretty rare that the NFL has played a throwback game in which the two teams were wearing uniforms from the same season. I can think of 2001, when the Packers wore their 1939 uniform and the Lions wore a 1934-1960 uniform. I can't think of many others, with the possible exception of the psuedo-1960s-ish vague throwbacks worn by teams such as the Jets and Bills. It's usually one team throwing back to a specific year and the other team throwing back to a different specific year. This isn't baseball.

They're basically Browns + Raiders + blue, so there's something to like for people.

Where do you see Browns in this?

Probably due to the logoless helmet, although that has more to do with tem being uniforms from the pre-helmet or leather helmet days.

Put a simple blue and white Lions logo on the helmet and change the facemask back to blue and you have a solid uniform.

Yeah, I meant the logoless helmet and general austerity of the whole set. The silver numbers on a plain color shirt with silver pants are Raideresque, and the shirts are blue.

Put a simple blue and white Lions logo on the helmet and change the facemask back to blue and you have a solid uniform.

I'm not sure. By introducing white into the helmet, don't you have to introduce it elsewhere, like around the numbers?

The other problem with these uniforms, and this is more of an abstract one, is that in the grand scheme of things, isn't it kind of an aesthetic mixed metaphor to wear Old-Timey Grid-Iron uniforms in an astroturfed climate-controlled state-of-the-art athletic facility like Ford Field? Yes, I know there's exposed brick, but that's not enough to change my point. It's mildly disingenuous to conjure up the images of so-called Golden Age football for a team that's on its second dome. While I advocate turning back to the Barry Sanders uniforms, that's different than trying to rekindle the 1930s Lions. We're always most nostalgic for the past we never knew.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I meant the logoless helmet and general austerity of the whole set. The silver numbers on a plain color shirt with silver pants are Raideresque, and the shirts are blue.

I'm not sure. By introducing white into the helmet, don't you have to introduce it elsewhere, like around the numbers?

The other problem with these uniforms, and this is more of an abstract one, is that in the grand scheme of things, isn't it kind of an aesthetic mixed metaphor to wear Old-Timey Grid-Iron uniforms in an astroturfed climate-controlled state-of-the-art athletic facility like Ford Field? Yes, I know there's exposed brick, but that's not enough to change my point. It's mildly disingenuous to conjure up the images of so-called Golden Age football for a team that's on its second dome. While I advocate turning back to the Barry Sanders uniforms, that's different than trying to rekindle the 1930s Lions. We're always most nostalgic for the past we never knew.

raiders have white around their logo.

November 25, 2004:

112504zg1.jpg

Cory Scheslinger? (if that's how it's spelled)

I miss that guy.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, if the other team isn't wearing matching throwbacks from the era, why does it matter? It's not about trying to re-create a specific period game in history, just an alternate set of uniforms for one club.

It's pretty rare that the NFL has played a throwback game in which the two teams were wearing uniforms from the same season. I can think of 2001, when the Packers wore their 1939 uniform and the Lions wore a 1934-1960 uniform. I can't think of many others, with the possible exception of the psuedo-1960s-ish vague throwbacks worn by teams such as the Jets and Bills. It's usually one team throwing back to a specific year and the other team throwing back to a different specific year. This isn't baseball.

The Lions and Colts (horseshoes on the back of the helmet) both wore throwbacks a few Thanksgivings ago.

Archived