Was Matt Millen planning to go black?

Blue Falcon

Matt Millen made some of the worst football decisions of all time, yet got to keep his job for seven years. Seems like he wanted the Lions to resemble his former team, the Raiders. He instituted the alternate black jersey, black trim, and the black facemask in 2005.

My belief is that he wanted to eventually make the black jersey the primary one, and make the honolulu blue jersey the alt. Why? Well, I think it's because he felt the need to change the facemask to black, when it should have been left alone. Think about it: the black facemask looks good with either the black jersey OR the blue jersey (as seen with the Panthers)...but imagine how bad it would look if the Lions wore the black jersey with the original blue facemask!

Any of you Photoshop pros want to take a crack at this? In my mind, it looks pretty ugly...although not as ugly as the Lions play on the field this year. :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that's a difficult assertion to support. The simpler, and more likely, explanation is that he added black in a desperate attempt to give merchandise sales a push.

Oh, I definitely agree that $$$ had a lot to do with it. But I'm sure Millen was hoping the black jersey would catch on with the fans so it would make the switch more palatable. Maybe if the Lions actually won some games in the black jersey, it would have happened.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I remember when they introduced the black jerseys. Millen was quoted as saying something to the effect of how much he liked the Raiders uniforms and how black gave them a certain attitude/swagger and thought it would carryover to the Lions.

Uh, yeah.

I may be the only person on this board who doesn't hate the Lions' black simply for being.

I don't think they used it right, but I don't object to ther using it.

A couple of tweaks to where the black was used, and a significant thinning of their sleeve stripes, and the Lions would have a pretty sweet kit.

I remember when they introduced the black jerseys. Millen was quoted as saying something to the effect of how much he liked the Raiders uniforms and how black gave them a certain attitude/swagger and thought it would carryover to the Lions.

Which at the moment is working out for neither the Lions nor the Raiders.

Dark blue would have worked better.

Packers-2.png

I may be the only person on this board who doesn't hate the Lions' black simply for being.

I don't think they used it right, but I don't object to ther using it.

A couple of tweaks to where the black was used, and a significant thinning of their sleeve stripes, and the Lions would have a pretty sweet kit.

Actually I totally agree with you. I don't mind the thin outline on the helmet logo, or a black outline on the numbers and sleeve stripes. As long as they kept it all THIN, it would have looked great.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Archived