Buffalo Sabres Concept

speedy

Well like I said, I've been tooling with this one for almost 2 years. It was originally supposed to be part of my NHL series when I first signed up here, but I never found a striping pattern I liked, so I shelved it. The time away I think has helped. I wanted to keep the classic feel to the jersey but still make it more modern. And no, modern does not mean piping. The pants are blank and I can honestly say I don't like it, but nothing I put on there in terms of striping looked right. So blank it stays. For the jerseys I used js' logo, because even Ray Charles can see how beautiful it is. One more thing, do ya'll think the grey and yellow clash a bit too much on the away striping? Kind meshing together? Could be a problem, we'll see...

BuffaloSABRES.png

C&C as always..

Very, very nice upgrade! Agreed on the grey helping.

By the way, that looks an awful lot like the Chargers number font without the effect. Am I correct?

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Very, very nice upgrade! Agreed on the grey helping.

By the way, that looks an awful lot like the Chargers number font without the effect. Am I correct?

It's the actual Sabres font. The Chargers use pretty much the same thing, except slightly altered, as do the Indiana Pacers, and the Toronto Blue Jays away uniforms. It's Agency font. It's sorta become the copperplate gothic of sports uniforms over the last few years.

BTW, the numbers need to seperated a bit. They're a little too close together. You should be able to seem some jersey in between them. Other than that, superb job.

Very solid stuff here.

1) I love the crest. js' logo is the correct choice for the Sabres and for this update. It's an update and modernization, but it's still instantly recognizable as the Sabres' logo. There isn't really a disconnect between the old and the new.

2) The away uniform is brilliant. One thing I've come to appreciate about hockey uniforms is the presence of color on the white uniforms. In football, you can't get away with too much in the way of color on a white uniform. It just doesn't work in the designs and cuts of the jerseys. There's so much more jersey to work with on a hockey sweater, and tradition dictates that there should be more color on the whites. That being said, I also love that you kept the continuity in general color scheme for the elements between the home and away. The stripes are still predominantly gold, the yoke is still blue, etc. It makes the navy jersey much more plain. That difference between the two jerseys is a little nuance about sports uniforms that I love.

3) I don't care much for the numbers. I don't know if it's the colors or the double outline. They seem a little too busy. That's not helped either by how close together they are. Perhaps drop one of the outline colors? (I'd vote for removing the grey from the numbers on both jerseys.)

I always thought a yellow yoke(proper term?) would look great on the blue jerseys.

Yeah, I'd yoke it too, just to make it consistent with the road white. My belief is that home and road sets should always be symmetrical with one another.

At first I didn't like the gray (probably because I'm old school). But the more I look at it, the more it helps minimize any St. Louis Blues vibe.

• 3 weeks later...
I always thought a yellow yoke(proper term?) would look great on the blue jerseys.

Yeah, I'd yoke it too, just to make it consistent with the road white. My belief is that home and road sets should always be symmetrical with one another.

At first I didn't like the gray (probably because I'm old school). But the more I look at it, the more it helps minimize any St. Louis Blues vibe.

I disagree about the yoke. I don't think that yokes work when they are lighter than the body color of the jersey. If it's consistency that you want, then just the yellow outline of the yoke could be used, and the stripes changed to white-blue-gray-gold-gray-blue-white. Then it would be totally consistent with the white jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I feel that this is one of about a million updates to the original sabres look. And every time I see one, it just further confirms that they should never have gone to black/red (or the logo that came with it) or the slug. This, like many of the others, is a good update of a look that may have needed a modernization.

If it was up to me, there'd be no gray, but man, if they'd just gone to this, it would be outstanding.

As for the shoulder yoke, I happen to like when teams have them on whites but not on darks. White jerseys are a bit more boring and more in need of that splash.

Aside from grey, the only thing I'd change is get rid of the big hunk of blue on the bottom of the sleeves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 1 month later...

I hate the NHL. This cocept is great. Fantastic. It should be so easy for teams to do some market research and come up with something like this. Why in the world can't they get something like this done? Why do we endure things like the Slug?

Archived