chestnutz redesigns the NFL

chestnutz

The Dolphins concept looks great. A couple of things:

1. Make the sunshine effect look more like the actual sun on the helmet and less jaggedy. There doesn't need to be that many spikes on the pants - make more distance in between them and more roundness. It's a great idea, but it could be executed better.

2. Bucco is sort of right about the number font. I personally think that their current font is just a little too thick, but I like the big angles in it, and the shape of the 2. If their current font and your font had unprotected sex, the child would be the perfect font to use. So get the fonts drunk, and let's see what pops out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If their current font and your font had unprotected sex, the child would be the perfect font to use. So get the fonts drunk, and let's see what pops out.

Creepiest thing I've read on a message board in quite a while.

With that, here's the next team: The Cleveland Browns.

I think their current set is pretty good, but they've remained basically the same for their entire existence. Quite boring if you ask me. Their logo is not even a logo, so my first objective was to fix that problem.

Logos: The primary logo is what needed help. I looked to their old B in a football logo for inspiration, mainly because this is a very hard team to make a logo for. I incorporated the thing that I used throughout this concept, which I'll explain more later - the checkerboard pattern. I kept the secondary logos, Elfie and the bulldog. I also developed a standard block wordmark, similar to what they use now.

Browns-logos-11.png

Uniforms: So I wanted to keep a traditional uniform for the Brownies, but also go in a direction they've never gone before. So I drew inspiration from the Cleveland Cavaliers navy uniform, which has a checkerboard navy/red/olive pattern on the collar. I thought it was a cool idea and ran with it, leaving the jerseys relatively plain, but using that pattern on the sleeve cuffs and collar. The helmet is the only article that doesn't use this pattern, as I thought it was way too famous for those two stripes to change up.

For the majority of their history, Cleveland has worn white pants as their primary home uniform, but I decided to go with orange, which they've used in the 80s, and kept the white pants as an option. Primary away uniform is orange pants.

Browns-uniforms-11.png

And in action!

Browns-action-11.png

SPECIAL THANKS to bucco, for his amazing templates! Muchas gracias, mi amigo!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I like the barber stripe approach, but I think you should mix some white in the brown and orange pants and the collars. Otherwise, you risk running into what Syracuse had going on recently, where you'd assume without white the colors would look nice and compliment each other, but in reality, they kind of ended up clashing.

That Browns concept isn't too bad.

I like what they have now better, but I think if there wasn't a lack of white in the striping, it would be top-notch.

Good job.

Also, Braylon Edwards is number 17.

Kellen Winslow is number 80.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I have to say I don't like this Browns concept at all. I don't like what you did with the football B logo, it doesn't look so good anymore. I absolutely hate the barber stripes too. Maybe for another team, but with brown and orange they just don't look right. I think you should put the white pants withe the home primary instead of the orange pants.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Allright, I have been following this series, I just haven't commented on any so I figured I would comment now on quite a few.

So the latest is cool. It's creative, I like that. I think it would look weird on the field but I definitely appreciate the effort to do something new. I never have seen a concept like it for the Browns.

The Vikings and Jets logos are both really great. The Vikings is a perfect modernization. The Jets logo looks really professional, it's very well rendered.

And the Dolphins is kinda crazy, like something Oregon would do, but it suites them better than the boring stuff they wear now. So all in all I really don't see anything bad worth mentioning. Keep up the good work.

A few thoughts:

Vikings– Love the MV logo, ship logo, and wordmark. Uniforms could use work, though.

Saints– I don't understand the reason for having two alternate jerseys or two helmets. Since the white helmet combos are superior, I would just add another pair of pants or two to that set.

Raiders– Too much like the Broncos (numerals, pants). I like the modern direction, but copying a division rival is not a good idea.

Eagles– Kelly green is a great color choice. Please be more creative with the numerals. E logo should be on right hip so it faces forward.

Jets– I've already given you my opinion on those.

Seahawks– Beautiful. Best set in the series. However, IMO, the Seahawk should always be blue and green, not blue and silver.

Dolphins– Thank you for going out on a limb. Miami is an avant garde city and the uniforms should reflect that. However, the sun stripes are a bit much. And switch up the numerals. Drop shadows haven't been new and fresh since 1997. Again, pick one alternate (preferably orange).

Browns– Great idea, but the execution is off. If you are going to go with checkers go all out. Don't keep the helmet for traditional reasons when you didn't apply that logic to the rest of the set. Try two rows of checkers, so it isn't barber pole. The block font looks default, try a serifed block.

Overall, I think it's clear to see the progression of your design, and you're getting quite good at this. You're beginning concepts aren't as complete as your more recent ones, but that happens to everyone. I think it would be interesting to go back and re-work some of the older ones to see how much better you could make them now.

the sunburst striping wouldn't be so bad if it weren't as big. if not that, you could put the D logo on the hips of the pants.

on the browns set, the colored pants at home is too much for me. they look better in white pants.

Keep nickel, drop navy.

totally.

my critiques-

seahawks: i love both the navy and the lighter blue versions. i'd probably go with the lighter blue, but both are glorious.

dolphins: i like it better with less sun-ray striping. i still think the white uniform's numbers look muddy, just like the real ones. i hate the drop shadows on miami.

browns: to be honest, it looks ok in the first renderings, but on the players, i don't like it. the barberpoll effect struck me as very "bengal stripey" on the action shots. dark and orange are already similar color schemes, and i think that striping pattern is too similar to work.

Concept #9: Buffalo Bills

The choke artists are my hometown team, sort of. I'm not from Buffalo, but I have lived in Rochester (hour and a half drive) my entire life, and everyone here is a Bills fan, all the news are about the Bills, etc., so the Bills have some significance to me, even though I despise them (go Eagles)

You guys guessed right in that I was dropping the navy and keeping royal blue. I think the royal blue and red just looks so damn good on the Bills, they pull it off so well in their throwbacks, no doubt it's one of the most beauitful throwbacks in the league. It's a shame you can't say the same about their regular s*** set.

So I set out to change that...

Logo: Their current logo isn't bad at all, but I didn't want to cop-out and not change anything about it. So I changed the buffalo on the primary logo to white with a blue outline. I doubt most of you will like it, but I feel it adds some freshness into the Bills' logo set. I also made a red alternate logo for use on the helmet, which I'll get to later. Honestly I couldn't think of anything solid enough to be an alternate logo. The wordmark is simple, italicized to go with the sash in the logo to convey motion, and a block number set.

Bills-logos-11.png

Uniforms: Obviously I was influenced by their great throwback uniforms. I didn't want to just copy the throwback uniforms though, that's been done several times on the boards here. I love their white helmet, so I went back to that, and to contrast the logo further I used the red alternate one instead of the primary white one. The striping on the helmet and pants is a simple 3-color pattern. For the jersey striping I went with the same color pattern, but instead of them being the traditional, straight stripes, I developed them to look like the motion-stripe in the logo, gradually going from small on the front of the jersey, to large on the back.

I also made a red alternate jersey, which somewhat looks like the old Patriots uniforms, but I didn't see it as that big of a problem :P

Bills-home-uniforms-11.png

Bills-away-uniforms-11.png

Action: And the sets in action, modeled by DE Aaron Schobel, QB Trent Edwards, and HB Marshawn Lynch.

Bills-action-11.png

So, tell me what you think!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I like what you did with the logo, but the motion bar looks inconsistent on the different backgrounds, like it's higher up. The wordmark needs work, it looks like you didn't really focus on it. From a traditional perspective, I like the uniforms, but if the sleeve stripes flare out like the motion bar, shouldn't the helmet and pants stripes do the same? It's a solid start, but it could use some refining.

Archived