2009 World Baseball Classic

Royals Insider

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Korea just unveiled their Nike 2009 WBC uniform. Only minor changes have been made to the Olympic uniform that they wore this past summer.

Byung hyun modeling it

200901081444361101_1.jpg

Is that blue trim around the actual buckle? How do they do that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

why is everyone wearing the same stuff?

who's running this little operation anyways? seems like almost every nation comes up with decent graphics and uniforms for the olympics...and I know nations have nice stuff for their own professional leagues...

this stuff looks one step away from an Eastbay catalog order using clip art graphics

Pretty nice. Much more "asian" looking than their '06 uniforms with the block "K" logo.

i got tickets to Canada/USA and Italy/Venezuela at the Dome. Can't wait.

Front row, field level for all six games... woo! :)

I went to the first tournament in Orlando. I'm not sure if any Venezuelans will make it up to Canada, but they are something else. They are very loud and not the typical baseball fans. The Dominican vs. Venezuela game I went to, was just as loud and crazy as the Ravens games I've been too, with a fraction of the people. They have all kinds of chants and get really into the game. Its definitely a neat, but different experience for a baseball game.

Pretty nice. Much more "asian" looking than their '06 uniforms with the block "K" logo.

i got tickets to Canada/USA and Italy/Venezuela at the Dome. Can't wait.

Front row, field level for all six games... woo! :)

I went to the first tournament in Orlando. I'm not sure if any Venezuelans will make it up to Canada, but they are something else. They are very loud and not the typical baseball fans. The Dominican vs. Venezuela game I went to, was just as loud and crazy as the Ravens games I've been too, with a fraction of the people. They have all kinds of chants and get really into the game. Its definitely a neat, but different experience for a baseball game.

Toronto has a large Venezuelan population (actually they have a large population for all nations), I'm sure they will be well represented at the games.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It bothers me - in every sport - when countries wear uniforms or have soccer crests that are in English rather than the language of their country. I don't know if it's imposed on these countries, or if it's by choice, but it strikes me as wrong that a national team should wear anything but the language of the country on its uniform.

What gets my goat about the WBC is that countries whose languages use Latin characters, but don't use the exact same spelling or phrasing in English as their language uses (Netherlands, Italy, Dominican Republic), render their country's names in their own languages, but countries that use entirely different alphabets, like China, Japan and "Chinese Taipei," don't. Hell, Taiwan can't even compete under its actual name. If this is truly an event about celebrating the global reach of baseball, it shouldn't seem like it's just set up to cater/market to a Western audience.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

It bothers me - in every sport - when countries wear uniforms or have soccer crests that are in English rather than the language of their country. I don't know if it's imposed on these countries, or if it's by choice, but it strikes me as wrong that a national team should wear anything but the language of the country on its uniform.

What gets my goat about the WBC is that countries whose languages use Latin characters, but don't use the exact same spelling or phrasing in English as their language uses (Netherlands, Italy, Dominican Republic), render their country's names in their own languages, but countries that use entirely different alphabets, like China, Japan and "Chinese Taipei," don't. Hell, Taiwan can't even compete under its actual name. If this is truly an event about celebrating the global reach of baseball, it shouldn't seem like it's just set up to cater/market to a Western audience.

Are you also bothered by the fact that Japanese professional and university baseball jerseys aren't in Japanese, but instead use Latin characters?

Here's Waseda University, which in Japanese is 早稲田大学:

saito.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Are you also bothered by the fact that Japanese professional and university baseball jerseys aren't in Japanese, but instead use Latin characters?

Here's Waseda University, which in Japanese is 早稲田大学:

saito.jpg

Yes, I am. I'm sure there's a reason why they do it and I don't imagine anyone makes them do it, but it just seems weird to me. If there was a Buzkashi league in the States (which would be awesome), I'd damn sure expect the New York team to have "NEW YORK" on their jerseys, not ایالت نیویورک.

Some of the 2009 World Baseball Classic merchandise has been released.

pMLB2-5313231dt.jpg

uncle-sam.jpg

I want YOU to look at my red armpits!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Does anyone know why there isn't any Italian, Dutch, or Australian merchandise in the mlb.com store?

Because they know that Italia, Nederland, and Australia will not be advancing past the group stage of the tournament?

Alternately, it might be because the whole event is a disaster of ad hocery and disorganization run by an MLB front office that's not really even up to the task of putting on a major-league season, much less taking on special events. That's my theory.

Shame, though, because Australia has very nice uniforms, and I'd think about buying some Holland merch.

20082614447.png

I agree completly.

A Chinese jersey using Chinese characters, for example, would rule. As would a Japanese Japan jersey, a Korean Korea jersey, etc...

Though you're a bit off about Taiwan. Taiwan itself isn't the actual name of the nation. The name they compete under, Chinese Taipei, is actually closer to the country's real name, the Republic of China, then the name "Taiwan" is.

i'm just guessing that since this is a WORLD event, such as the World Cup, to make everything uniform, English is used on all the uniforms etc.

as somewhat related sidenot, unlike the Japanese league, the KBO uses Korean for names on the back of the jerseys. The only that is in English is the teams logo/script on the front of the jerseys.

My Korean baseball website [MyKBO.net]

Archived