Sports Identity Showdown I

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update:

Albuquerque has been added to the High Heat division (theflakeband)

Quebec has been added to the Triple Play division (there's another team in Quebec, so there are actually two in that division) (this is TheMasterBrendino1)

New Orleans has been transferred from the Triple Play division to the Grand Slam division (bigdub81)

Shiny, I was just wondering when, tomorrow, I can l look for these. I'm not trying to be an annoying d-bag, or anything, I'm just looking forward to these a lot, and if you told me that you would have these up by, oh let's say 4 o'clock ET, then I would have something to look forward during that terrible friday 7th period :lol: Not pressuring you or anything, and you don't have to tell me, but just curious. Even if they are up on Saturday I will still be excited!

Oh, and if I haven't said it already, thanks for being the commissioner, I'm sure I speak for my fellow contestants when I say that. :grin:

Thanks for the recognition. I've been pretty pleased with the support of the community on my first go as commissioner.

I cannot say a specific time for posting, unfortunately. If I were to pin something down, it would be about 10:00 AM my time on Saturday. I may stay up late Friday and post it just when the clock strikes midnight, but at any rate, it should be after your class. I have work tomorrow all day until evening, wherein I will attempt to go to the Bucks game (Richard Jefferson bobblehead night) and won't get back until late.

But CERTAINLY Saturday by noon, at the latest. I am also tired of the wait.

Hey I have sent mine, I sent it about a hour ago, just making sure you got it. Sorry I was one of the ones everyone had to wait for. I can't wait to see the rest either.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Hey I have sent mine, I sent it about a hour ago, just making sure you got it. Sorry I was one of the ones everyone had to wait for. I can't wait to see the rest either.

I did receive it. You will be in the Grand Slam Division.

EDIT: I also received for gingerbreadmann and StuckeyDuck. I am processing them now.

Meanwhile, I have prepared everything for Saturday except any more files that may trickle in. Everything is written up, and every file is uploaded and referenced in the topics (no need checking my Photobucket, because I used another site). So nobody should feel badly about the extension, because I needed it more than anybody to get my files in order.

If anybody needs to explain his concept, please write a disclaimer on the bottom of the image and re-send it. Some individuals, such as fishheatcats and 33hooligan, have worked this into their presentation rather nicely. Theirs and anyone else will have their disclaimers on the file just as it is submitted. I have not tampered with any files in any way, except for a couple, and that was just to optimize those for MS Paint -- it wouldn't upload to my source otherwise.

If anyone has any questions, tomorrow is the final day for submissions. Try to get your questions in as soon as possible. I will address them tomorrow afternoon when I get home and before I go to the Bucks game. Right now, I'm dead tired and will go to bed. :grin:

Last order of business:

gingerbreadmann (Boston, MA) will be in the Triple Play Division

StuckeyDuck (Beverly Hills, CA) will be in the High Heat Division

udubs03 did submit (Milwaukee, WI; will be in Grand Slam Division), but I ask that you re-send that one if you can.

I did also make the changes to New Jersey, beansdooma.

Sorry, I'd like to talk more but I am ill and sleep-deprived.

Update for those of you keeping score at home:

udubs03 (Milwaukee, WI) will be in the Grand Slam Division

Brauny1280 (Wichita, KS) will be in the Grand Slam Division

TurnTwo (Mesquite, TX) was transferred to the High Heat Division, unless one more team enters the Triple Play or High Heat Divisions, in which case he will be transferred back to the Grand Slam Division.

There are currently 13 teams in each division.

Anyone who has not yet submitted (fkaKrock5cent??? ColaCock??? Crash???), please do so within the next 8 hours and 11 minutes.

I would like to announce the name of the NAKA team in Hackensack, New Jersey is the Hackensack Sigma Stars. The name honors the city's own Wally Schirra, one of the Original Seven Mercury Astronauts. His Mercury spacecraft was Sigma 7, and the Stars comes from space having stars.

You know where the Sigma came from, don't you?

Wally was in the Sigma Pi Fraternity.

From Wikipedia: Schirra graduated from Dwight Morrow High School in Englewood, New Jersey and attended the New Jersey Institute of Technology in 1941, where he was a member of Sigma Pi Fraternity. He later finished schooling with the navy and received a Bachelor of Science in aeronautical engineering.

But is says on his website:

"I named my spacecraft Sigma Seven. Sigma "Σ", a Greek symbol for the sum of the elements of an equations, stands for engineering excellence. That was my goal - engineering excellence. I would not settle for less."

Coincidence? I think not. :D OK, end of the history lesson.

I'm actually reading a book called "Live From Cape Canaveral" and just read about Wally's textbook flight in Sigma 7.

6fQjS3M.png

Voting was up this morning, so I'm sure most of you have seen it. If you haven't, or if it slips down too far on the boards because it probably will not be stickied, here is a helpful link (also my signature at the present):

HHD-1.png GSD-1.pngTPD-1.png

SPORTS IDENTITY SHOWDOWN I VOTING

VOTE NOW! (click the images above)

I will make a little editorial comment, which may be perceived as a little bitter but is not solely geared towards this contest.

There is no doubt that the quality of the work displayed in this contest is way above anyone's expectations, but I'm still surprised to see people voting almost only based on "execution".

In my book, realism is worth way more in these contests.

The main issue I have, is that some of these concepts would cost way way too much for any RECREATIONAL SPORTS adept. (correct me if I'm wrong, but kick-ball is a co-ed social club type of activities where no team in their right mid would spend more than $50 on uniform, they'd rather save their money for the visit to the pub after.)

In my experience playing in hockey beer leagues and slo-pitch for years, most teams opt for a cheeky name and gimmicky concept.

So my votes tend to go to uniforms and names that shied away from looking like a full professional soccer kit...

Alright, better be careful not to twist my ankle jumping off my soap box :P

Great work from ALL!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I will make a little editorial comment, which may be perceived as a little bitter but is not solely geared towards this contest.

There is no doubt that the quality of the work displayed in this contest is way above anyone's expectations, but I'm still surprised to see people voting almost only based on "execution".

The main issue I have, is that some of these concepts would cost way way too much for any RECREATIONAL SPORTS adept. (correct me if I'm wrong, but kick-ball is a co-ed social club type of activities where no team in their right mid would spend more than $50 on uniform, they'd rather save their money for the visit to the pub after.)

In my experience playing in hockey beer leagues and slo-pitch for years, most teams opt for a cheeky name and gimmicky concept.

So my votes tend to go to uniforms and names that shied away from looking like a full professional soccer kit...

Great work from ALL!!!

I see your point but this isn't beer-league kickball (It's fake kickball :P). Your right that most beer leagues wouldn't spend that much on uniforms but that wouldn't make for the best contest if everyone attempted did $50 quality work.

Great work from ALL!!!

This is an interesting point, and one I never really considered.

My vision for the league was maybe like marching bands that go to the Rose Parade. They have to go all out with gear, then they raise funds for travel expenses, but it works for them because they are really dedicated to their craft. Alternately, I thought it may be like the Little League World Series where they take the best talent from an area and give them nice uniforms once they reach a certain plateau.

Of course, I have intentionally been vague when it comes to age, gender, etc. so as not to hinder what people could devise, and the same is true for the actual execution of the concepts. I was more curious than anybody to see what the field would bring. As for the logistics, I would hope to see people pull out all the stops on originality in every element, and if their ideas came to fruition but they couldn't meet the budget, then the design would suffer a little, but that shouldn't prevent them for reaching for the stars.

I hope that shines some light on the whole thing. I had never really considered that this particular logistic would compromise any of the designs.

Great work from ALL!!!

This is an interesting point, and one I never really considered.

My vision for the league was maybe like marching bands that go to the Rose Parade. They have to go all out with gear, then they raise funds for travel expenses, but it works for them because they are really dedicated to their craft. Alternately, I thought it may be like the Little League World Series where they take the best talent from an area and give them nice uniforms once they reach a certain plateau.

Of course, I have intentionally been vague when it comes to age, gender, etc. so as not to hinder what people could devise, and the same is true for the actual execution of the concepts. I was more curious than anybody to see what the field would bring. As for the logistics, I would hope to see people pull out all the stops on originality in every element, and if their ideas came to fruition but they couldn't meet the budget, then the design would suffer a little, but that shouldn't prevent them for reaching for the stars.

I hope that shines some light on the whole thing. I had never really considered that this particular logistic would compromise any of the designs.

Of course by Frenchie's reasoning, the jerseys would be like 5 bucks to cover travel costs :P .

6fQjS3M.png

Archived