Sports Identity Showdown I

ShinyHubCaps

Here is a new contest, which is open for all CCSLC designers, sponsored by ShinyHubCaps and the CCSLC Competition Council.

Name of Contest: Sports Identity Showdown (I)

Compensation: "Participant" and "finalist" competitive signatures, as well as a special signature for the overall winner.

Timeframe: There are multiple checkpoints in the design process, and the contest will take one month altogether.

Sign-up- December 8, 2008 through December 17, 2008. All team markets must be reserved in this thread.

Work of Concept- December 17, 2008 (last day to sign up) through January 5, 2009. You may begin work prior to this date, but I will not accept any submissions unless they are within this interval. I may extend the date if contestants cannot find the time around the Holidays, but with time out of school, it may be a good time to work on concepts.

Voting- January 6, 2009 through January 12, 2009. For voting procedures, please see below.

Idea: Teams for the North American Kickball Association

Components: The break-down of components is as follows:

NAKASmall.png

The North American Kickball Association is a kickball league for competitors of all ages. Represented cities must reside in the United States or Canada and have a population of greater than 75,000 and less than 1,000,000. All city applicants are subject to approval by commissioner ShinyHubCaps, and no city can be represented more than once.

Team Name and Colors: Like all concepts, originality in these regards is key. Names should, insomuch as it is possible, be symbolic of the region, be it a native animal, industry, or token term taken from the region or its history.

Logo Elements: Required logos include primary (comparable to an NHL primary), secondary (either related or unrelated to the primary, comparable to an NBA secondary logo), and wordmark.

Team-branded Uniforms and Kickball: The uniforms can be in any style but must include, at least, a short-sleeve T-shirt and either shorts or baseball pants. Hats are also required. For the design of the uniform itself, be unique, as most applicants have no preconceived notions of how kickball uniforms should look. Two uniform sets are required for each team, not necessarily as "home" and "away," but as a clash in case your "opponent" is wearing the same color. For example, if your team's colors are purple, orange, and white, you do not need to create a primarily white uniform. You may create one purple and one orange if you wish, so in case your opponent has either a purple or orange, your team could wear the other.

Each team is also required to include its own textured kickball for in-game use; the ball is unique to the NAKA like stadia are to Major League Baseball. The ball needs to be included with the logos in the presentation, and at the very least, it needs to feature a team-used color. Any other logos, textures, or images are completely optional.

Other Elements: All other elements are completely optional. You may or may not be judged on your templates used and presentation techniques; it will be up to each individual voter.

All submissions are due January 5, 2009 by e-mail to Shinyhubcaps@yahoo.com and must occupy a single .png file. All images will be posted for top-three voting by the community, where any member with more than 100 posts can assign 1-3 points for any submission, which is one worth 3 points (1st place vote), one worth 2 points (2nd place vote), and one worth 1 point (3rd place vote). Voting will be held on January 6, 2009 through January 12, 2009.

Any questions or concerns, please post them in this thread or send me a PM. Again, all cities must be reserved in this thread, and please look at the criteria for available cities.

Other than that, have fun, and I look forward to seeing some really creative concepts.

-----------------------

FILES WITH LEAGUE LOGO

http://www.mediafire.com/?inkqogdmwvz - .ai (Illustrator 6.0)

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2nmmnhyztg - .eps (PostScript 3.0 as well as other programs)

http://www.mediafire.com/?tyzjyagz0mi - .png (PhotoShop/PhotoStudio/etc. can Magic Wand the background off)

KICKBALL UNIFORM TEMPLATES

See pages 7 and 8

PARTICIPANTS AND USED MARKETS

Little Rock, AR (vicfurth)

Chesapeake, VA (Brian B.)

Providence, RI (StatikGS)

Denver, CO (TalktoChuck)

Killeen, TX (Firefly)

Minneapolis, MN (lich0037)

Cary, NC (leggman01)

New Orleans, LA (bigdub81)

Annapolis, MD (fkaKrock5cent)

Ann Arbor, MI (Delayed Penalty)

Buffalo, NY (sigma716)

Corpus Christi, TX (spearhead)

Portland, OR (Perfect Zero)

Mesquite, TX (TurnTwo419)

Saint Catharines, ON (aci)

Reno, NV (Drew22)

Scottsdale, AZ (elliott)

Milwaukee, WI (udubs03)

Boston, MA (gingerbreadmann)

Manchester, NH (Evan)

Trenton, NJ (beansdooma)

Spokane, WA (chrisCLEMENT)

Key West, FL (Twins8791)

Plantation, FL (fishheatcats)

Saguenay, QC (Frenchie)

Cleveland, OH (rmered)

Amarillo, TX (davidson)

Indianapolis, IN (deezy)

Detroit, MI (burgundyskins)

Fort Collins, CO (Crash)

Miami, FL (chestnutz6)

Joliet, IL (Billy B)

Syracuse, NY (Klydefrog)

Pensacola, FL (brandon_odis)

St. Paul, MN (twins_vikes_wild_mn)

Honolulu, HI (Shumway)

Beverly Hills, CA (StuckeyDuck)

Hackensack, NJ (sizemorematters)

Mississauga, ON (lopernv)

Orange, CA (33hooligan)

El Paso, TX (kphealey)

Lansing, MI (GoNordiques)

Boise, ID (Gordie)

Long Beach, CA (Ben5)

Lethbridge, AB (penguin20)

Anchorage, AK (phlash)

Red Deer, AL (dcameronh)

Wichita, KS (Brauny1280)

Pittsburgh, PA (maz)

Columbia, SC (Shmee)

Quebec City, QC (TheMasterBrendino1)

St. John's, NL (scottysprings)

Tampa, FL (raysox)

Clearwater, FL (Swampee)

Charleston, SC (ColaCock)

Birmingham, AL (bigmike)

Tulsa, OK (chickenfish13)

Racine, WI (MBurmy)

Nassau, BS (the49erfan15)

Albuquerque, NM (theflakeband)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we reserve a city now, would we have to submit our team name at the same time, or can we hold off on that?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Mexico is part of North America...

(Greenland too.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Market: Houston
Dibs on Philly.

Both Houston and Philadelphia are out of contention according to the rules, which state that your city of choice must have a population between 75,000 and 1,000,000.

Not sure if I'm going to enter this, but at least read the rules if you plan to, folks.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Both Houston and Philadelphia are out of contention according to the rules, which state that your city of choice must have a population between 75,000 and 1,000,000.

Hey, that's great.

I still have dibs on Philly. We're a kickball town.

philly.png

I believe that New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, Houston, Montreal, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, Dallas and Calgary all have municipal (city) populations of over 1,000,000 inhabitants.

United States Cities Listed by Population

According to this list, only nine cities have populations greater than 1,000,000.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

I believe that New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, Houston, Montreal, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, Dallas and Calgary all have municipal (city) populations of over 1,000,000 inhabitants.

As well as Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton. Mexico City is excluded as well as quite a few other cities in Mexico. Two or three other cities in Central America would be over one million people as well like Guatemala City.

United States Cities Listed by Population

According to this list, only nine cities have populations greater than 1,000,000.

...which is why he listed 9 US cities. :P

And I believe that I'd like to put my NAKA team in Philadelphia. Especially since there are sections of the cities that can be considered cities themselves that are well over 75,000.

philly.png

As well as Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton. Mexico City is excluded as well as quite a few other cities in Mexico. Two or three other cities in Central America would be over one million people as well like Guatemala City.

According to the league logo, Mexico and Central America aren't part of North America. It's basically the White America Kickball League :D

Also, the size of the city should be irrelevant, considering teams are marketed towards... well markets. For example, Pittsburgh is relatively tiny, at just over 300k population, however it's metro area is a little over 2 million. Now look at cities in the west and south, where the "city" boundaries extend into what we in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic would consider to be suburbs. You have metro areas that are much closer in size to the city populations. Metro area is really the driver here, and is what should be used if there are going to be any restrictions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived