Sports Identity Showdown I

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More participants added. Please check the front page to see that you're listed.

So, then will you bend the rules for Youngstown, Ohio? If so, I may do it.

I'm seeing that Youngstown has a population of 75,000, so it qualifies anyway.

Can we have a team name already in use by another pro team? (ex. could I name my team the St. Paul Capitals even though Capitals is the name of a hockey team?)

I have no problem with it, but it's up to the voters. I don't think they'd have a problem with it either, unless it was blatant (i.e. "Boston Yankees" or something obviously a reference to another sport).

nakamap.jpg

That's the coverage so far. The different colors don't mean anything, I just put blue stars where two red stars would have bled into each other. There are several pairs of teams really close together.

I'll have to keep this in mind in case the league is too big and we need divisions. :)

Good job.

I'll have to keep this in mind in case the league is too big and we need divisions. :)

I updated it to reflect the newest additions and had to add a third color of star (green) for the Mississauga/Buffalo/Saint Catharines trio. :D

Also, I wanted to ask what the rules are on "early" postings. Like posting up a design or color combo or nickname possibilities or whatever to get feedback before officially entering them. Is that against the rules? Will that disqualify us or put us at a disadvantage?

I updated it to reflect the newest additions and had to add a third color of star (green) for the Mississauga/Buffalo/Saint Catharines trio. :D

Also, I wanted to ask what the rules are on "early" postings. Like posting up a design or color combo or nickname possibilities or whatever to get feedback before officially entering them. Is that against the rules? Will that disqualify us or put us at a disadvantage?

I'd prefer to not see concepts beforehand. Each submission is your own work, and that should mean that you don't need feedback. I don't think I'd penalize, but I do ask that visual concepts not be shown before the all-at-once revealing on Jan. 6.

We've already had names and colors in this thread, but again, while I can't really prevent people from talking out their ideas, I would prefer that they don't say "this is my team name, these are my colors, etc." in hopes of getting feedback.

So I would say that it is discouraged to seek feedback from the boards on the whole.

I'd prefer to not see concepts beforehand. Each submission is your own work, and that should mean that you don't need feedback. I don't think I'd penalize, but I do ask that visual concepts not be shown before the all-at-once revealing on Jan. 6.

We've already had names and colors in this thread, but again, while I can't really prevent people from talking out their ideas, I would prefer that they don't say "this is my team name, these are my colors, etc." in hopes of getting feedback.

So I would say that it is discouraged to seek feedback from the boards on the whole.

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't planning on letting the cat out of the bag, but it's good to know.

Five new contestants added.

For the presentation, should we include a section that explains the significance of the name, colors, etc.?

Good question... if you feel the need to put a disclaimer at the bottom of your image file, you may (it would be on the file itself, right under your concept). Hopefully, though, good names will speak for themselves.

It also reminds me of a contest I did here, Sketch-athon 1, where the names were representative of the region and nobody explained. Then after the voting, people said whose concept was whose and explained the significance of the name. So I'd say leave it off, unless you think it's critical to understanding the concept, in which a disclaimer could be made.

Also if you could post a .svg version of the league logo that would be great.

I can't do that from my program that I know of... you could either do it with vectormagic.com, or you could just use the .png, chop out the green space, and shrink it. I can't imagine that you'd need it as large as I have it.

Sorry about that. If someone else can post a .svg from one of the files in the first post, please do so.

Would you like us to send a description with the logos explaining what they have to do with the city? In case someone doesn't know?
I pretty much have my design where I want it and I included a short description of the logos/uniforms within the image file. That way it's in one package and it's easy for someone viewing it to get the concept behind it.

Again, if necessary, make it small and just tag it onto the bottom of the image. I can't speak for voters to judge what is obvious or not, but at this point, I would almost suggest leaving it off unless it is critical to understanding the idea. For example, the more we say "New York Mets," the less we wonder what a Met is. If your concept is strong, I would think that it could stand on its own accord. Either way, proceed as needed.

Forgive me for my vagueness.

I think I might have to put a disclaimer, simply because I think that some people may misinterperet my intent and the basis for the name and colors. Plus, I'm uncertain of how aware people outside of the region are of the background I'm using.

spacer.png

I would like to put my concept in. We need more Canadain cites anyways.

City: Red Deer, Alberta (Pop as of 2007: 85,705)

Team name: "Alberta Crew KC" - This would be associated with the oil industry which is the largest industry in Alberta.

I suppose I'll take a crack at this. I suppose sign me up for Pittsburgh. Yinzers love their kickball!

Damn you! :P

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I just need to think of a city to use.

We've got 49, maz. You better get in there quickly in case I decide to cap this at 50.

In speaking of which, everyone check to make sure you're on the first page. And if even half of you submit concepts, we'll have one heck of a contest. Show of hands, who's started their logos?

Archived