(insert color) outs!

GoDawgs08

Appears from ESPN right now that Carolina is having a "blackout"

From my experience, this new craze with placing white t shirts in the stands of basketball games and telling fans to wear the same color as their respective teams is a new thing.

From the NFL to college football and basketball, and notably overused in high school events, these black outs, white outs, gold outs...u name it, are happening all of the time.

I feel like eventually these color outs are going to be a standard in sports...they have erupted ever since the UGA blackout last season...and the recognition of how cool the Penn State white out is

Will this ever end?!?!

temp.png

they have erupted ever since the UGA blackout last season

Georgia didn't exactly start the trend, they joined it. I would say a handful of teams have been doing this for decades, but it became mainstream about 3-5 years ago.

The farthest back I can figure this thing went was when the old Winnipeg Jets used to pull the white outs in the Winnipeg Arena back in the early 90's. Of course, it's becoming more of a thing now, but it's been something that's been out there for a while now. Can anybody trace the color out any earlier than that?

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

I think the Panthers have been doing the "coordinate with the team" thing for a while. It should really be a no-brainer that fans should wear team colors to games, but with more and more teams trying to wear all their uniform sets for the home crowd during a season, it makes sense that a team should advertise what colors those would be.

Appears from ESPN right now that Carolina is having a "blackout"

From my experience, this new craze with placing white t shirts in the stands of basketball games and telling fans to wear the same color as their respective teams is a new thing.

Your experience is very short. It's pretty far from new.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Miami Heat got it popular in 2006. Everyone saw how awesome it was and took it from there...

That's my belief, because I've never heard of this practice being used before then.

The Jets and Flames had this going long before your time, youngster.

May be time to change that screen name :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Panthers have been doing the "coordinate with the team" thing for a while. It should really be a no-brainer that fans should wear team colors to games, but with more and more teams trying to wear all their uniform sets for the home crowd during a season, it makes sense that a team should advertise what colors those would be.

correct. the last 3 years the Panthers have posted the home jersey colors to encourage fans to wear same colors in the stadium.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

The Miami Heat got it popular in 2006. Everyone saw how awesome it was and took it from there...

That's my belief, because I've never heard of this practice being used before then.

The Jets and Flames had this going long before your time, youngster.

May be time to change that screen name :D

That wasn't the point, my point is that its popular because of the Heat.

bSLCtu2.png

im a young gun but i definitely tip my hat to psu as the people who made it famous. maybe its cause i had to watch my bucks loose to them in that insane white out a few years back, but like most people say its pretty simple, it's just the fans showing up in the team colors. i mean youve got three (four) colors to pick from, why not just pick one, spread the word and have everybody wear it cause we all know it looks so cool. i am a huge fan i just hope that people don't get bored with it and it goes out of style. i hope it is a tradition for years to come.

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

Being a PSU student, I love going to our football games when we have our White-Out or "White-House), especially the students-only ones. I just think it looks awesome and really helps to bring out more energy from our fans. That being said, from what I understand, some hockey team(Winnipeg?) in Canada started doing it long before PSU, but like someone else said, we just made it famous. By the way, PSU has been doing since at least 2004 when they did a blue-out but learned that dark colors do not look that cool (UGA).

I think the Black-Outs look stupid because it kind of just hides the fans and blends them into the night.

Being a PSU student, I love going to our football games when we have our White-Out or "White-House), especially the students-only ones. I just think it looks awesome and really helps to bring out more energy from our fans. That being said, from what I understand, some hockey team(Winnipeg?) in Canada started doing it long before PSU, but like someone else said, we just made it famous. By the way, PSU has been doing since at least 2004 when they did a blue-out but learned that dark colors do not look that cool (UGA).

I think the Black-Outs look stupid because it kind of just hides the fans and blends them into the night.

Prepare to be flamed relentlessly in 5... 4... 3...........

I thought it was a given to wear the colors of your team. I find it weird that they have to make it some cool spectacle just to get their fans to wear their colors. If there is one thing I dislike it is the fans that choose to wear colors like blue or red at Duck games. It was cool to see the yellow out in 2003 when we played Michigan. That was the last time Autzen was really yellow.

Has anyone noticed the final two Alabama Home games (Mississippi State, Auburn), the Alabama students had blackouts?? Really odd, considering black isn't really part of our color scheme. Personally I would love seeing black jerseys with houndstooth collars (see SEC REDESIGN thread), but I love our tradition and so does everyone else so I don't think it will every happen.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived