Scoreboard talk

FSUViking

Curious as to why CBS puts the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen like it is now for the Indiana/Kentucky game, but for the SEC football games it's on top. I prefer it on the bottom if it's a screen to screen bar. Also at least "appreciate" how CBS attempts to fade it out on the edges, unlike ESPN who just makes it solid black.

Both CBS and ABC typically put football scorebars at the top, and basketball at the bottom.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Curious as to why CBS puts the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen like it is now for the Indiana/Kentucky game, but for the SEC football games it's on top. I prefer it on the bottom if it's a screen to screen bar. Also at least "appreciate" how CBS attempts to fade it out on the edges, unlike ESPN who just makes it solid black.

Both CBS and ABC typically put football scorebars at the top, and basketball at the bottom.

Of the final MNF season on ABC (2005), they had the scoreboard at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
Big Ten Network has moved its score bar to the bottom and reduced its size to not go from edge to edge anymore.

unca-osunewbigtennetgraphics.png

Upgrade IMO.

move that to the lefthand corner, and its perfection imo

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Meanwhile, ESPN has found a way to cram even MORE crap on the screen. During the Poinsettia Bowl they had the Bottom Line on the screen, the scoreboard across the top, and then above the scoreboard a continuos scroll of moronic IM's from people watching the game.

Meanwhile, ESPN has found a way to cram even MORE crap on the screen. During the Poinsettia Bowl they had the Bottom Line on the screen, the scoreboard across the top, and then above the scoreboard a continuos scroll of moronic IM's from people watching the game.

It didn't look so bad in HD.

bSLCtu2.png

They did that for all their Tuesday (I think) games this year. It was interactive (and very annoying).

I like the timeouts on ESPN. Far more than I like the on-field graphics, with the exception of the first down line. As stated earlier, just because you CAN do something like that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it.

It's where I sit.

It didn't look so bad in HD.

I disagree. I have a 37" Vizio and it still annoyed the crap out of me. Especially since the announcers kept pointing it out and kept on with the "Hey! Look at the top! Read our online reader comments!"

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because I have a question about hockey score bugs around the league, after watching yesterday evening's Stars-Hawks tilt on WGN, whose bug takes up a lot of screen space without really providing a lot of necessary information. In fact, they could stand to convey more. Does any team's coverage denote TV timeouts? Since the timeouts are regularly scheduled for stoppages at/past 6, 10, and 14 of every period, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to show this on the scoreboard so that newer fans might pick up on the rhythm of the game. One way of doing it would be a cross between ESPN's college football timeout display and a traffic light, with three little dots beneath the clock:

Green: the clock is running

Yellow: 6, 10, or 14 has been hit, and the next stoppage will be a two-minute timeout.

Red: The clock has stopped and a TV timeout will be taken.

(Optional would be black or unlit once a timeout is accounted for.)

Is this something worth implementing, or would it just be completely extraneous clutter? Have I been beaten to the punch on this one?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived