HS Football in Wisconsin

illwauk

I was watching some highlights from this year's Wisconsin state high school football championships and couldn't help but notice that BOTH of the Division 1 teams (Arrowhead and Homestead) plus the D2 champs (Kimberly) all look like cheap knock offs of the Wisconsin Badgers (who look like their unis came from walmart as it is).

rise_wisconsin1_300.jpg

14370_large.jpg

I started to notice that a disproportionate number of schools in Wisconsin not only use red & white, but most of their football teams follow the same white/red/white helmet/jersey/pant scheme as the Badgers. Milwaukee South, Shorewood and Green Bay East immediatley come to mind, although I can't find any decent pics. There's certainly enough UW knock offs on the Wisconsin High School Helmet Project website.

Am I trippin, or is this common in other states (Louisiana having a saturation of purple & yellow for example)?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was watching some highlights from this year's Wisconsin state high school football championships and couldn't help but notice that BOTH of the Division 1 teams (Arrowhead and Homestead) plus the D2 champs (Kimberly) all look like cheap knock offs of the Wisconsin Badgers (who look like their unis came from walmart as it is).

rise_wisconsin1_300.jpg

14370_large.jpg

I started to notice that a disproportionate number of schools in Wisconsin not only use red & white, but most of their football teams follow the same white/red/white helmet/jersey/pant scheme as the Badgers. Milwaukee South, Shorewood and Green Bay East immediatley come to mind, although I can't find any decent pics. There's certainly enough UW knock offs on the Wisconsin High School Helmet Project website.

Am I trippin, or is this common in other states (Louisiana having a saturation of purple & yellow for example)?

What do you expect from a team called the Papermakers? (Though I would LOVE to see them use a wasp logo-wasps make paper nests)

All the more reason I'm proud to be a Park Panthers alumnus (orange & blue rule!)

bYhYmxh.png

I know of a few schools who use direct Ohio State knockoffs, but one that I actually love comes from my kneck of the woods. Dublin Scioto High School outside of columbus uses a green version of OSU's old uniforms. Very cool.

alldufootb_20080624_0427pm_4.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

At least they don't use some made-up word for a nickname like the Blugolds (UW-Eau Claire) or the Purgolders (Madison East).

BLASPHEMY!!!

-Signed,

A proud alumnus of Milwaukee Washington (the ORIGINAL Purgolders)

Hah this is funny. My old highschool here in Oregon now uses the Wisconsin "W" because its called Willamette. They just got new turf in their football stadium that has the W with a darker red. Also new uniforms came out my freshman year that had the W on the helmet, and the jerseys were maroon knock-offs of the Louisville Cardinals jerseys. I really don't blame them for stealing the jerseys, the logo however, I wish we would've kept the Wolverine.

Actually, I believe Arrowhead is more of a rip-off of Arizona.

I went to Muskego (WI). Last I seen, my school still used black/red, with the FSU spear on it.

Any protests against the imagery yet?

bYhYmxh.png

I can probably list a good number of what my alma mater's looked like:

Eagles/Packers hybrid-immortalized in a small mural in the library...we actually had that green-winged white helmet a year or two before Philly did, and for a time, the jerseys were basically Packer jerseys

Eagles/Florida hybrid-jersey striping was the style Florida used to rock

old Eagles/new Eagles-old-style wings (with the colors now white wings on green), home jerseys similar to the current Eagles

after two years where we wore the eagle head and another where the wings made a brief comeback...

Bears/Eagles hybrid: green helmet with metallic gold wishbone C...and eagle heads on each sleeve

Bears/Rams hybrid: basically the 2000 Rams jerseys, except with no sleeve logo and green instead of navy

and now, an oldish Notre Dame look, gold helmets (so we've had helmets in all our colors) green jerseys, gold pants

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know of a few schools who use direct Ohio State knockoffs, but one that I actually love comes from my kneck of the woods. Dublin Scioto High School outside of columbus uses a green version of OSU's old uniforms. Very cool.

alldufootb_20080624_0427pm_4.jpg

Wow, those look really good. What do they use for helmet stickers?

I can't even begin to name how many teams use the Michigan Winged helmets here (Mid Michigan).

Over here, it's much worse.

The Horlick Rebels (my Park Panthers' arch-rivals) has the Michigan Winged helmet-but in Ohio State colors (shell is red, wing is silver)

bYhYmxh.png

Here in Minnesota about 8 schools use the Minnesota block 'M' on the there helmet. And only a handful of schools use the Maroon and Gold colors. We also have a handful of schools using Wisconsin W's, Michigan, Arizona, Vikings and old style Eagles decals on their helmets. I'm surprised that schools don't go down a different path when it comes to helmet decals. Especially after Wisconsin was cracking down on the high schools using their logos. But then again I understand it cost issue as well.

All the more reason I'm proud to be a Park Panthers alumnus (orange & blue rule!)

You're proud of that?!

I went to Racine Lutheran, the only school in the city to have an original helmet logo. Park's colors are nice, but they are a Clemson knock-off. :P

What, the "W" logo being used. I am surprised that the University has not sued these schools to stop using thier almighty "W" logo - they've sued everybody else (Iowa H.S. and Washburn Univ-Topeka,KS are the latest victims).

Imitation is the the best form of flattery.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived