HS Football in Wisconsin

illwauk

I know of a few schools who use direct Ohio State knockoffs, but one that I actually love comes from my kneck of the woods. Dublin Scioto High School outside of columbus uses a green version of OSU's old uniforms. Very cool.

alldufootb_20080624_0427pm_4.jpg

Wow, those look really good. What do they use for helmet stickers?

Their helmet stickers are white circles with this Fighting Irish guy in the middle. They're nicknamed the Irish after all.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What, the "W" logo being used. I am surprised that the University has not sued these schools to stop using thier almighty "W" logo - they've sued everybody else (Iowa H.S. and Washburn Univ-Topeka,KS are the latest victims).

Imitation is the the best form of flattery.

I don't really get some of the bitterness shown toward UW-Madison for protecting their intellectual property, especially from people on these boards. I wouldn't call those who blatantly infringe on copyrights "victims". I'll be the first to admit that I might be a bit biased (see my avatar and user name), but you can't blame Wisconsin for protecting what is theirs.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I know of a few schools who use direct Ohio State knockoffs, but one that I actually love comes from my kneck of the woods. Dublin Scioto High School outside of columbus uses a green version of OSU's old uniforms. Very cool.

Their helmet stickers are white circles with this Fighting Irish guy in the middle. They're nicknamed the Irish after all.

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be something Irish. Shamrocks would look pretty cool.

What, the "W" logo being used. I am surprised that the University has not sued these schools to stop using thier almighty "W" logo - they've sued everybody else (Iowa H.S. and Washburn Univ-Topeka,KS are the latest victims).

I don't really get some of the bitterness shown toward UW-Madison for protecting their intellectual property, especially from people on these boards. I wouldn't call those who blatantly infringe on copyrights "victims". I'll be the first to admit that I might be a bit biased (see my avatar and user name), but you can't blame Wisconsin for protecting what is theirs.

This is one of those subjects that acts as a sort of litmus test for me. There is no way that a rational intelligent person can be upset with the school. Once someone proclaims their anger against the "big bully university", I know that I shouldn't take anything they post seriously, because they just don't have the basic faculties required to have intelligent discourse on these boards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be something Irish. Shamrocks would look pretty cool.

that would work except for the fact that one of the other 2 schools in town is nicknamed the "shamrocks".

PvO6ZWJ.png

I can't even begin to name how many teams use the Michigan Winged helmets here (Mid Michigan).

Over here, it's much worse.

The Horlick Rebels (my Park Panthers' arch-rivals) has the Michigan Winged helmet-but in Ohio State colors (shell is red, wing is silver)

"Horlick"... *snicker*

that would work except for the fact that one of the other 2 schools in town is nicknamed the "shamrocks".

St. Patty's day must be fun around those parts. ^_^

In Georgia, on MG's Helmets website (which only has 249 high schools represented), I counted 18 schools that had the "Oval G," or a variation of it ("Oval-Different-Letter"), including the Gainesville HS Red Elephants! (I just wanted to say that b/c it was a weird name).

I also counted 4 schools using the "motion W."

It just seems like high schools don't have the time or money to come up with their own logos.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

This is one of those subjects that acts as a sort of litmus test for me. There is no way that a rational intelligent person can be upset with the school. Once someone proclaims their anger against the "big bully university", I know that I shouldn't take anything they post seriously, because they just don't have the basic faculties required to have intelligent discourse on these boards.

Well, the Supreme Court has ruled several times that you cannot put a trademark on the alphabet (or its usage on any fonts).

So THAT's why I'm kinda mad at UW.

bYhYmxh.png

Don't schools have art classes anymore?

With all the money that seems to be going into the sports programs at the high school level, I don't think anybody can really cry poor about getting new logos made designed by kids that actually go to the school that represents them through athletic competition.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Well, the Supreme Court has ruled several times that you cannot put a trademark on the alphabet (or its usage on any fonts).

So THAT's why I'm kinda mad at UW.

What are you talking about? All fonts have a license of some sort, some more restrictive than others. That said, the Motion W is a protected logo (not font) and property of UW. The university is required by law to protect its uniqueness.

As for having so many Wisconsin high schools with variants of the Motion W or the red and black colors, it makes sense. The state isn't likely going to sue one of their own public institutions for logo infringement. As for the red and black, IMO part of it is identifying with the flagship program and part of it is using traditional Republican red.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

There may be more as we get further east, but there's not a lot of orange in Tennessee HSFB. Some of the smaller schools seem to use it, like Cascade HS (tho inspired by either the Denver or Boise State Broncos) and private school Middle Tennessee Christian.

I have seen the Power T, but several teams are some form of Indian (with nods to FSU), with a few Patriots, Rebels, etc., thrown in. Some of the newer schools are even getting creative...Murfreesboro-Blackman (The Blaze, using a Flame B from the Calgary NHL set and Auburn Unis with a now LSU-inspired Helmet), M'boro-Siegel (The Stars, with Dallas NHL for logo inspiration, generic Nike USC templates, and color scheme of navy, teal, and silver), and Thompson's Station-Independence HS (The Eagles, with either NFL Eagles helmets or their serifed-I-with-a-circle-and-flying-bird logo on them, I forget the uni template, and Navy, Green, and gold as their colors) all come to mind. Obviously I'm kinda pinned in my own little circle, living in the 'boro, with a g/f who went to the new IHS.

Note-worthy from the older schools: Gallatin Green Wave (Green Bay Packers), Lebanon Blue Devils (Duke, but with a generic, old-fashioned look and a DePaul-inspired devil-and-streaking-L), Eagleville Eagles (football program is still fairly new, did a maroon and silver NFL Eagles rip, with the bird head on the helmet I think...only to remove it and go with an odd lowercase e logo starting I believe this past season), Dickson County Cougars (designed to the specs of Auburn U back when the school was founded; even have an interlocking DC logo), and last I checked the (Knoxville) Farrgut Admirals wore Dallas Cowboy inspired unis. (Granted that FHS uni I saw was on a big picture in the Riverdale gym from like 1994, when Riverdale was in Redskins unis instead of Florida State modernizations...but I know it was the case at some point.)

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Tremper High School in Kenosha, WI uses the Tennessee power T on their football helmets. The boys basketball team uses the Texas Tech double T logo. Overall they use the Trojan that USC uses as another logo.

Don't schools have art classes anymore?

With all the money that seems to be going into the sports programs at the high school level, I don't think anybody can really cry poor about getting new logos made designed by kids that actually go to the school that represents them through athletic competition.

One of our teachers at my small school is a beast at doing art and stuff. He has his own published comic book and stuff. He designed our Bulldog logo which is an angry bulldog with crossbones behind it, I don't think I have a picture but it is a sweet logo. We also have pride stickers that are bones.

I know Case frequently uses a very-slightly modified Philly eagle head (the eye is slightly different), which has recently settled into being all green with a gold beak, often over a gold block C. Some of our teams wear metallic/vegas/old gold, while some wear yellow gold, and a few of our teams (though thankfully, not football) have worn black in recent years.

now Horlick, they occasionally use UNLV's rebel but usually go with the swords from Virginia's V logo, only they're under an H in their version.

Park, I find a somewhat odd case, cus while most Panther teams wear navy blue nowadays, Park football still wears royal blue. I will say one thing, with that orange helmet, blue jerseys and (traditionally) orange pants, you aint gonna mistake em for anybody else. man, I remember their old helmet logo, the 70s lookin Park with the panther head poking out of the P, which created the unique effect of the left side logo being longer than the right side version. Now it's just the panther head.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now was the point of this thread to complain about the look of high school teams and the usage of logos and uniforms that are pro and college looks or what? Because, if you're going to complain about that, remember that just because you'd like to see an original look, it cost money and a lot of schools don't have that much. If it's cheaper to have an off the rack look of Wisconsin and your colors are the same, if you have little money, that's what you're going to do. The look of a lot of high school teams more than likely comes down to money. They don't have a separate athletic fund from the educational side, it's all in one.

Archived