World Juniors Thread

Breakwood

The Tournament kicks off, Boxing Day in Ottawa.

Canada played their first exhibition game today in Toronto against Sweden. Canada won 4-2.

Canada's next exhibition is Sunday in Kitchener against Slovakia. Canada and Slovakia again play on Tuesday in Hamilton before the tourney kicks off on Friday.

Can Canada win 5 straight? Who's better Tavares or Hedman? There's many more questions to be asked and answered once the Tournament starts.

Here are the groups

Group A

Canada

Czech Republic

Germany

Kazakhstan

United States

Group B

Sweden

Finland

Russia

Latvia

Slovakia

The top 3 in each group go on to the knockout stage, while the bottom 2 in each group go to the relegation round.

1zqy8ok.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the exhibition game tonight, and man was it exciting. Seeing the best the junior ranks have to offer together playing on REGULATION ICE (for once) against the best competition was exciting. Some of those guys looked absolutely amazing and I am excited to see how the rest of the tournament unfolds. The place was about 3/4 filled, which is a lot considering the snow which was shutting down train and bus routes.

IMG_5169.jpg

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I was at the exhibition game tonight, and man was it exciting. Seeing the best the junior ranks have to offer together playing on REGULATION ICE (for once)

For once? What the hell are you talking about? Three of the last six years (2003, '05 and '06) isn't enough for you? Does it make you feel better that the next four will be on NHL ice? I know that having the thing in Canada is best (i.e. most profiatble) for the IIHF, but come one, at least try to live up to your reputation as the "most knowledgeable" hockey fans in the world :rolleyes:

Moose

Canada is gonna play Finland tomorrow .. in Mississauga.... the 3rd exhibition game vs Slovakia is on Tuesday... not sure where that game will be, but probably in Ottawa....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I was at the exhibition game tonight, and man was it exciting. Seeing the best the junior ranks have to offer together playing on REGULATION ICE (for once)

For once? What the hell are you talking about? Three of the last six years (2003, '05 and '06) isn't enough for you? Does it make you feel better that the next four will be on NHL ice? I know that having the thing in Canada is best (i.e. most profiatble) for the IIHF, but come one, at least try to live up to your reputation as the "most knowledgeable" hockey fans in the world :rolleyes:

Moose

I should have clarified, I meant to say compared to watching the junior players play on the misshapen ices in the OHL. I have seen some of the best the OHL has to offer play on small rinks and to see that kind of skill on a proper sized ice in person is a treat. My bad.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

For those in the States NHL Network will be airing all Team USA and Team Canada games in the tournament as well as all the knockout games. They will be originally producing all US games (including the US-Canada game) for the rest of the games they will be using the TSN feed.

Ah thank you, Dead! I wasn't sure where the 3rd game was to be played... now I know....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

For those in the States NHL Network will be airing all Team USA and Team Canada games in the tournament as well as all the knockout games. They will be originally producing all US games (including the US-Canada game) for the rest of the games they will be using the TSN feed.

And this pisses me off. I had the NHL Network last year, and don't this year... :cursing:

Moose

PS - sorry to jump on you Neon. I understand where you were coming from now...

And this pisses me off. I had the NHL Network last year, and don't this year... :cursing:

Moose

PS - sorry to jump on you Neon. I understand where you were coming from now...

Eh, no worries. Made me realize I didn't explain myself fully. And hey, sometimes I set myself up for it. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Looking forward to seeing the only Hitmen representative in Brett Sonne who's having a great year in the Dub and is in the top 5 in scoring throughout all of the CHL even if his roll in this tournament isn't the biggest.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Results from Sunday Exhibitions:

Czech Republic 5-2 Slovakia

Canada 7-3 Finland

Kazakhstan 1-4 Russia

Latvia 2-13 USA

I can't wait for Canada vs. USA on New Years Eve. Something tells me they will face-off again on the 5th of January.

In case anyone cares, Group 1 of the Division 1 U20 championships is in the book. The winner of each group of Division 1 gets promoting to the elite group the following year, while the 2 last place teams in the elite group get relegated to Division 1. The Group A winners are Switzerland who won all 5 of their games, beating Belarus, France, Slovenia, Poland and Estonia. Group B is underway with Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Norway and the Ukraine competing.

Division 2's Group A has also been completed with Japan winning and gaining promotion to Division 1. They actually were tied for 1st with Lithuania, but won the tie-breaker by beating the Lithuanians 5-4 in their game against each other. The other teams in the group were Korea, Belgium, Serbia and Romania. Group B will take place in January with China, Croatia, Great Britain, Mexico, the Netherlands and Spain competing.

1zqy8ok.gif

I love this tournament and plan on watching as many games as possible. I even vetoed a trip to my wife's parents for Christmas so I could stay home and watch the games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday rather than be stuck in North Dakota.

I went to the 2005 event in Grand Forks for 10 days, with two or three games per day and could have easily gone another 10 days. It was great, with Crosby, Kessel, Ovechkin and Malkin all playing that year. :o

It's time to see the USA success in the U18 tournament translate to the U20 now!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Just got back from Canada's 7-0 win over Slovakia. The Slovaks were totally outmatched by Canada. Their skating is quite poor, and their general ability is quite low. However Canada did not impress me very much. Sloppy play all night. No finishing whatsoever (the Slovakian goal was outstanding though).

#15 on Canada, Stefan Della Rovere is a waste of space. Reminds me of Chris Niel, a talentless, classless punk who skates around trying to pick fights. I have no clue why this guy is on the team. He was skating past slovak players with his elbows out, when Canada was up 6-0! IN AN EXHIBITION GAME!

If Canada wants to win this tournament, they're gonna need to play much better. The way they played tonight, will lead to a sure loss against the USA.

1zqy8ok.gif

Just got back from Canada's 7-0 win over Slovakia. The Slovaks were totally outmatched by Canada. Their skating is quite poor, and their general ability is quite low. However Canada did not impress me very much. Sloppy play all night. No finishing whatsoever (the Slovakian goal was outstanding though).

#15 on Canada, Stefan Della Rovere is a waste of space. Reminds me of Chris Niel, a talentless, classless punk who skates around trying to pick fights. I have no clue why this guy is on the team. He was skating past slovak players with his elbows out, when Canada was up 6-0! IN AN EXHIBITION GAME!

If Canada wants to win this tournament, they're gonna need to play much better. The way they played tonight, will lead to a sure loss against the USA.

Good... :D:P

6fQjS3M.png

The NLL Insider blog had a post about this game, specifically about the play of John Tavares (nephew and namesake of the NLL all-time scoring leader, which is why the game got a post on a lacrosse blog), including the

CCSLC signature.png

Remember this is only the 3rd game Canada has played. With the exception of the Boychuk-Hodgson-Eberle line, Canada has been shuffling lines around to see what works. No need for concern right now. Della Rovere is on the team to be an agitator/energy guy much like Tootoo was in Halifax to get guys such as van Riemsdyk off their game.

8prlQWA.png

Archived