Detroit Lions Future

Gary

What should the Detroit Lions do in the future for 2009 and beyond to make them better. It all starts with the General Manager. Now that we know that Mayhew is the new General Manager(which i'm not very happy with), what should they do with Head Coach? First pick in the draft?

I'll have my thoughts in a bit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing's first. The Fords need to sell the franchise. Then someone needs to give Marty Schottenheimer or Bill Cowher a phone call and offer them full control of all football operations. Then they need to address their problems on both the offensive and defensive lines, the secondary, and quarterback. Then they need to make a promise to their loyal fan base that they are actually committed to winning.

Is that enough?

1. Figure out which direction you want to go with the team. Do you want offense first or defense first? From there, go after Josh McDaniels or Steve Spagnuolo for head coach.

2. Figure out which direction you want to go with QB and the #1 pick. If they get McDaniels, does he try to bring Matt Cassel there then draft Andre Smith #1 overall, or do they go for Sam Bradford or Matt Stafford with the #1 pick and mix him in with Culpepper?

3. Defense, defense, defense. Free agency and the draft need to be spent addressing it. Other than maybe Ernie Sims (and he's a question mark), there's nobody else on that defense. Although he's never healthy, go after Mike Brown from Chicago. Among the Dallas #1, their own #2, their own #3 and Dallas' #3, they should use at least three of these picks on defense. Try to develop something that can hold a team under 30 points.

4. Continue to work on the offensive line. Cherilus is set. Figure out the other 4 spots.

5. Get a decent veteran #2 WR opposite Calvin Johnson. The guy is awesome but he needs help and guys like Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey aren't it.

6. Keep Kevin Smith involved in the offense.....he's a playmaker.

1. First off hire Marty Schottenheimer, fire Mayhew he will be nothing more than Crony Millen

2. Get a good young head coach who will lead the team to a better year next year, Lee, McDaniels, and Spagulano would be my choices personally

3. Get rid of Culpepper, he will be nothing more than a mistake to Detroit, if they are to keep any Quarterback it has to be Drew Stanton, he never really had a chance with Kitna and Orvlosky and Culpepper at the helm this year.

3. If they do get McDaniels, try to get Cassel to follow him, if they can't get Cassel try to get a veteran Quarterback to help the younger QB's(Kitna couldn't get it done, nor Culpepper). Try to go after Warner, he is an accurate QB who will make the receivers in Detroit better like he did in Arizona.

4. Defense, rounds 2 and after try to go for secondary. Free agency go after defense hard. Mike Brown or Rodney Harrison for secondary, also go after some Linemen in the defense, guys like Haynesworth and Peppers. That is if they don't have the franchise tag already in place.

5. Offensive Line. Go with an Oline with the first pick. Andre Smith will be a good first pick in the draft.

6. Make Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson your offensive makeup for the team for years to come. Great playmakers who will do lots of things.

7. SELL THE TEAM WCF

1. Rod has been fired, so... new coach is a given

2. Matt Cassel should be brought in as a FA

3. Take the pick from Dallas (the Roy trade) and try to package it with a rostered player and try to move into the top 10. (Giving the Lions 2 picks in the top 10)

4. Build the O and D line in the first round.

5. Build secondary via the F.A. Market

Most importantly, or nothing will happen. NEW GM, I read on ESPN's bottomline that Parcells may be available... GET HIM!

Just a start.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

3. Take the pick from Dallas (the Roy trade) and try to package it with a rostered player and try to move into the top 10. (Giving the Lions 2 picks in the top 10)

Unless that player is Calvin Johnson, that won't happen.

A lot of my specific suggestions are already spoken for, so I will just say the Lions organization should approach the 2009 season as though they were an expansion team. No one, and I mean no one, on their roster should be able to consider their spot the least bit safe. When they take the field for the 2009 season opener most if not all of the starters should be new faces.

CCSLC signature.png

unfortunately, we won't be able to get Schott, Cowher or Parcells

http://detroitlions.com/

Martin Mayhew is the new GM, but there is always hope that Parcells is hired as the VP as it is reported that the Lions are interested in him and the feeling is mutual

Why hire someone with a winning background when you can go down the hall and promote Matt Millen's understudies? <_<:rolleyes:

I'm not surprised, really. Given William Clay Ford's track record of screwing up, I expected him to not even bother interviewing outside of the organization, even after an 0-16 season.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Sorry this doesn't add anything, but I hope they make the playoffs next year as a wild card team, because, well, they can't take the division, the Vikes will have it wrapped up.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

Buy the team NFL Head Coach, the video game.

Hopefully they can draft a quarterback,, that turns into the next Matt Ryan, or Joe Flaco.

Pick up a free agent defensive player, whereever they have the biggest weekness.

There's a lot they need to change, hopefully they can win a game next year. This one was pathetic.

First, find a good personnel person.

After that, I think Detroit should consider trading out of the 1st overall to pick up additional picks. Either sign Cassel or use the 10th pick on a QB. The additional picks should go to build up the O-line, then the D-line. Find a solid 2nd RB to complement Kevin Smith. Address the rest of the defense, and worry about upgrading the WRs last.

I think establishing a good o-line with a decent running attack will control the clock and allow the new QB time to learn the job. If Cassel happens to be the guy, a shift in approach to a heavier ground game would allow time to develop the defense and still have enough weapons in the passing game to pull out last second wins. Whichever offense approach is taken, solidifying the front lines should be the priority.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

A lot of my specific suggestions are already spoken for, so I will just say the Lions organization should approach the 2009 season as though they were an expansion team. No one, and I mean no one, on their roster should be able to consider their spot the least bit safe. When they take the field for the 2009 season opener most if not all of the starters should be new faces.

Calvin Johnson's job should be safe. They traded Roy because they knew they had a better receiver in CJ. As a Packers fan, you should know he is a great one. He singlehandedly kept them in several games, only to have other players screw it up. Remember the first game against GB. He played his heart out all year, with a good QB, he has the skills to be THE BEST receiver in the NFL. Top 5 for sure. Funny that people were hating on the pick because it was another receiver, and it was the pick they finally got right. (though it shouldn't have taken 4 tries)

Other than him, Kevin Smith, and maybe Ernie Sims, these players should not be starting for an NFL team.

By the way, here is a video of CJ. Calvin Johnson Highlights

MegatronSig2.jpg

They should move the Lions to Toronto :P

How's that going to help, besides slide them into even more excruciating oblivion?

The Skydome makes Ford Field look like a rocking whorehouse/frathouse combo in comparison.

Into further oblivion is what I was going for :upside:

I heard something on a sports talk show about Ford being the owner and how he inherited the team and that it's made the Lions suffer because of this. The difference in owners that are self-made millionaires and those that inherited the teams in some fashion are night and day.

Just think about it:

Inherited:

Lions: Ford inherited the team because the family didn't him anywhere near the Motor Company.

Bears: McCaskey's suck and they have the team because Virgina was married to Halas. Bears although not as bad as the Lions suffer because ownership is awful. They don't pay coaches, they won't admit mistakes, and it starts at the top.

Cardinals: Bidwell inherited the team from his parents...poor ownership.

Bengals: Brown inherited the team from his father, and the team has been poor ever sense.

Colts: This is defiantly the exception as the younger Irsay has been running a pretty successful franchise since he took over in 1994. Of course drafting Peyton Manning helped, but the Colts are one of the better run organizations in the league and Irsay inherited the team.

Jets: I'm putting Johnson here as the heir to the Johnson&Johnson fortune. The Jets have been pretty up and down over the years and he certainly hasn't helped since purchasing the team in 2000.

Steelers: Another exception to this rule, Rooney is a hall of fame owner and the team has been incredibly successful under his management despite the fact he inherited the team from his father.

Rams: This was made for disaster as the current owner inherited the team from his mother Georgia who inherited the team from her husband who died mysteriously. Despite the success of the early nineties, the Rams have been poorly run for years. I think one could argue that the character of Rachel Phelps from Major League was based on Georgia Frontiere (showgirl turned sports owner who wants to move the team)

Self-Made:

Falcons: Blank made his money as a co-founder of Home Depot. The Falcons are going in the right direction under his leadership

Ravens: Owner founded a successful company when he was 23 years old. They've been competitive for quite some time.

Browns: This could be an exception, but he has been pretty hands off. Learner made money by founding an investment company and heading up MBNA. But he mostly followed his father in many of these ventures, so this could go either way really.

Cowboys: Jerry Jones' success speaks for itself, made his money in oil mainly.

Broncos: Bowlyn made his money as a lawyer, but he also came from wealth. I'd say the Broncos have pretty good ownership though.

Dolphins: Both owners made their money outside of football and inheritance. You have to question the successfulness of the dolphins under Huizenga since 1993 though. Decent but not great.

Vikings: Wilf made money in properties holdings, and since 2005 has owned the Vikings. To early to tell how well he's done as an owner.

Patriots: Love them or hate them, Robert Kraft is one of the best owners in the NFL. He made his money on his own, then he saved the team from moving, built a new stadium, and won a few super bowls for good measure.

Saints: Benson started off well liked, but his popularity and success has quickly waned. He made his money in investments from his car dealerships.

Giants: This is an interesting mix. You've got Mora who inherited the team, Tisch who made millions producing movies, but he also inherited the team. I don't know too much except they've been successful and won a Super Bowl since they took over in 2005.

Eagles: Lurie made money in a production company he helped found. He's twice been named owner of the year, helped build Lincoln Field, and the eagles have been competitive for a long time.

Chargers: Spanos has owned the team since 1984 to mixed results. He is a self made millionaire.

49ers: The Yorks gained control of the team in 2000, and although they made their money before football and didn't inherit the team, John York was a research pathologist, and his wife got money in the family business. So I'm not sure how much business sense either has and could explain the poor management.

Seahawks: Paul Allen co-founded Microsoft and bought the Seahawks in 1997. The Seahawks have been competitive and been a very well run franchise since then.

Buccaneers: Glazer is a successful businessman who earned his money in a variety of businesses. The Buccaneers have been successful since he bought the team in 1995.

Redskins: Synder is iffy. The team is the second highest grossing team in the NFL, but the onfield success since he took over has been lacking. He pays for players that's for sure, but he might be a bit too hands on considering his lack of knowledge about football.

Original Owners:

Bills: Ralph Wilson has done a pretty good job as an owner, plus he made his money before the team.

Panthers: Richardson made his money in the fast food industry and has had a winning product for most of the existence of the team.

Texans: McNair made money in the Energy sector before owning the Texans. I'd say they aren't doing terrible being in the league only 6 years.

Jaguars: Weaver made his money in by founding Nine West and Carnival Shoes. The Jaguars have been fairly competitive but the ownership hasn't really helped that along. A minor exception to the Original Owners group.

Titans: Bud Adams made his money in Oil like Jerry Jones. The Oilers/Titans had some early successes and his skills as an owner can be debated. I think you'll find him to be well liked in Tennessee but not as much in Houston.

Stole team:

Raiders: Al Davis pretty much stole the team in 1972 by revising a the partnership agreement while the other partner was at the Olympics in Munich. Interestingly enough, he wasn't actually majority owner until 2005. He pretty much has been around football his whole life, has only made his money off football, yet he still has been a pretty poor owner, especially lately.

The Packers:

Their own category. Pretty successful public ownership group.

At first when I heard the comment about Ford, I thought it was an isolated case, but after looking at every owner, there certainly appears to be a tie between being successful before owning a team and having success as a team owner.

They should move the Lions to Lansing, Michigan :P

...and rename them the Michigan Engineers.

Probably won't happen, but whatever.

move the Lions to Prague, Czech Republic

rename them the Czech Eastern Bloc Bombers

and have Denise Milani as the owner. WOW!

Bears: McCaskey's suck and they have the team because Virgina was married to Halas.

Actually, she's his daughter, not his wife, but Mike McCaskey is pretty awful, yes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived