Detroit Lions Future

Gary

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way Detroit's gonna get better is to join up with the automakers there, get the Federal Government to give them a huge bailout package and then buy the New York Giants and move them to Detroit.

Replace the current squad with Arena Football players who should have some free time on their hands for at least a year.

The only way Detroit's gonna get better is to join up with the automakers there, get the Federal Government to give them a huge bailout package and then buy the New York Giants and move them to Detroit.

Moving the New York Giants to Detroit to replace the Lions?

Heck to the NO!!!

That's like moving the New York Yankees to Montreal!

YOZXkBG.png?1

They should move the Lions to Lansing, Michigan :P

...and rename them the Michigan Engineers.

Probably won't happen, but whatever.

I would be okay with that!

Forget that... they need to move back to Portsmouth.

VmWIn6B.png

Heck to the NO!!!

Feel that rush of air? That's that post going over your head. <_<

They should move the Lions to Lansing, Michigan :P

...and rename them the Michigan Engineers.

Probably won't happen, but whatever.

I would be okay with that!

Forget that... they need to move back to Portsmouth.

Well, as bad as the other Ohio teams were, the Lions could fit in.

MegatronSig2.jpg

The Lions haven't really developed ANYONE of note within the last 10-15 years, esp. not from the skill position sets (QB, RB, even WR - and i'm not counting Calvin Johnson yet as developed).

You'd have to go all the way back to Herman Moore to see a Lions offensive draftee turn into something worthwhile. And that was a LONG time ago.

Trade down in the draft plus getting a few more later round picks from that and the picks from Dallas that you got for Roy Williams it will take a while to

rebuild the Lions but the Draft is the way to go.

As for this off season hire Josh McDaniels as Head Coach and sign Matt Cassel, this offense has some pieces of brightness in it with Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson and if you can go after T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Doubt it) that would be just awesome

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I think the first step is for the Lions to hire a proven winner as their GM, and since they look to be hiring Mayhew they have already failed and the only solution is Ford must go.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well, since the GM situation is "taken care of", I guess that there's only hope for a good head of operations or something of like. Ford flat-out needs to sell or step down. Or, he could die and leave the team to someone who's capable of running an NFL franchise, but I wouldn't wish death upon anyone, except Miley Cyrus. There are a hell of a lot of holes n the depth chart to fill, but I think they have to start with the offensive and defensive lines. Quarterbacks need time to throw, runningbacks need space to run, and opposing runningbacks need to be knocked unconscious upon touching the football. Good lines'll get that. I'm still high on Stanton as a QB, and, honestly, Orlovsky wasn't entirely horrible the past few games. That said, I wouldn't mind a proven QB, or even a highly regarded rookie. Finally, the secondary needs to be addressed, either through the draft or if there are any free agents willing to go to an 0-16 team.

Bring back Barry Sanders B) ......Really, way too much has been made of this 0-16 thing in my opinion , which means nothing. 1-15.... 3-13 what difference does it make ? To me any team that did not make the playoffs is no better off than the Lions. Yes they need HELP :rolleyes: , But so do other teams... like I said, just my opnion.

I sincerely cannot fathom why in the heck Ford would bring back Mayhew.

Is he that oblivious? I mean, seriously?

That organization needs a complete housecleaning. Under who's criteria did Mayhew's interim job performance warrant any extension or permanence? I don't think you could do a WORSE job as an interim GM. Literally, he did nothing that Millen didn't already set in motion - which isn't surprising because he was Millen's RIGHT HAND MAN. Good lord. Goodell has to get involved here, for the good of the league.

This is already in Ted Stepien territory of incompetence. We're charting new trails of idiocy.

Heck to the NO!!!

FacePalm_qjgenth.jpg

Bruh, I will pay your way through sarcasm/joke school.

With that said, I really have nothing to add, other than the fact that I REALLY hope that the Lions can right their ship. As funny as it was to see a team lose every single game, it still sucks in a way. No team, in this parity-driven league, should lose every single game. They have the tools and resources to fix the problem, they should get the job done.

I heard something on a sports talk show about Ford being the owner and how he inherited the team and that it's made the Lions suffer because of this. The difference in owners that are self-made millionaires and those that inherited the teams in some fashion are night and day.

Just think about it:

Inherited:

Lions: Ford inherited the team because the family didn't him anywhere near the Motor Company....

...At first when I heard the comment about Ford, I thought it was an isolated case, but after looking at every owner, there certainly appears to be a tie between being successful before owning a team and having success as a team owner.

Those trends may generally hold true, but they don't apply here. Ford actually had been a club director since 1956, and became president in 1961. He then bought sole ownership of the Lions for $4.5 million in 1963--and in ominous foreshadowing of the club's future, the story of the purchase ran in papers the same day as coverage of JFK's assassination.

Yeah, he worked for the family company and had connections--but you'd have to call him successful to be in position to buy the club in the first place.

...Of course, marrying tire mogul Harvey Firestone's granddaughter didn't hurt.

Archived